GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Members......First Post.....Here Goes......

New Acadia owner.......I love it!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
How soon do other owners change their oil?
To Colorado owners, how does the V-6 handle the altitude of the mountains? I'm going to be in your great state in July and was going to Mt. Evans.

canyon76
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I think the Acadia will let you know when the oil needs changing. I plan to change it between 3k and 4k miles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Welcome! My Acadia has over 5,600 miles on it and still it says it has 45% oil life remaining. This concerns me. I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks, so regardless of what the remaining oil life is, I'm going to change it anyways. At the rate this thing is going, it won't tell me to change the oil until 11,000 miles!

So what model did you get? What color combo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have an SLT-2....AWD....White Diamond Tricoat...Light Titanium interior....2nd row captain's chairs.....19" tires....it's a sweet ride. I love being to start the vehicle on a warm day after walking out of the store, open the rear door/hatch put in the groceries or what ever I bought and climb into a cool vehicle.

The dealer, which has sold my family vehicles since the early 60's recommended changing oil at 1,500 miles. I'm a firm believer in changing oil, maybe to the point of being obsessive with it.
This leads to the question of changing oil for the first time, getting rid of oil in the new engine sooner, getting rid of the contaminates in it. I'm still a bit old school and like to change oil at 3,000 and not do as the Acadia tells me.

Thanks for the replies..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride!

My dealership told me every 5000 miles to change the oil but I'm not sure if I'm going to do that yet.

Web Raven said:
Welcome! My Acadia has over 5,600 miles on it and still it says it has 45% oil life remaining. This concerns me. I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks, so regardless of what the remaining oil life is, I'm going to change it anyways. At the rate this thing is going, it won't tell me to change the oil until 11,000 miles!
A lot of different cars now recommend changing the oil every ~10,000 miles. Many Saabs (another GM vehicle!) are around 12-15k!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Do you think GM would recommend an oil change interval that would destroy your engine or should I say GM's engine for the first 5 yrs or 100,000 miles?

Do you thing more is known about engines and oil formulations in the last 10 yes?

So why not believe you can go 8-10,000 miles between oil changes?

Those who change oil at 3,000 miles I hope are not the same people that complain about high gas prices. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess people will believe in whatever they want and people will always have their opinions.
In my opinion some of the people that still change oil at 3,000 miles don't complain about high gas prices and high milk prices. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
The 3000 mile change is something I wonder why news stories are not written about. So many stories on how to save gas but nothing on wasting oil. The car knows when it needs oil. The manual states that it may be 10-12000 miles. Thats 15 quarts of wasted oil per car if everyone goes with the 3000 mile service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
We have an SLE AWD and it does well at 5300 ft around town. Up I-70 it performed well also, but it was not in July with the a/c blowing and the car full of gear. Handling was great. I could take some corners at 75-80 mph without a problem. Again this was with an empty car. The only thing I can say is that you need to be prepared for high rpms. V6+high altitude+5000lbs might not be what you are use to seeing back home!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I live in Castle Rock, CO and we are at 6200 ft and the Acadia drives great. 3 weeks ago I hooked up our 2500 lb pop up camper and took it for a spin to see how the Acadia handled it. Granted, the elevation gain and duration of the ascent along I-25 when leaving Castle Rock is far from what we would see in the mountains along I-70, but I was pleased. I do miss the torque of my old pickup though. You will have no problems in the mountains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,695 Posts
I don't car what anyone thinks or what GM says. I did my first oil and filter change at about 1500 miles and will change it every 3000 mi or 4 months, which ever comes first. I feel that it is a small price to pay and hopefully will prolong the engine life. I have done this with every vehicle I have owned and think that GM would love to sell you a new vehicle every 5 years when your warranty runs out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Just picked up my SLT-2, NAV, rear DVD, HUD ... and I have been happy with it so far. Its already been scratched (closed the garage door when the hatch was opened! ooops). Hopefully my friend at the dealer will fix that for me. Other then that and the "searching for gears" during ascending and sometimes accelerating... its been a joy to ride. So far I have been getting 12L/100km, hoping for better during the coming months. The interior does scuff easily though... wished they used a different kind of plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
i would hope that all of you are changing the oil after the initial 500-1000 mile break in point. that's just good practice with a new motor. the reccomended interchanges that are in the 10-12k range are for light driving, and ideal conditions. the only people i would consider light drivers would be those of the elderly persuasion, only driving back and forth to the grocery store and church. just about everyone else does enough stop and go driving to warrant the 'severe' label. that asside, regular non-synthetic oil is just NOT going to have the same viscosity index its whole life--the older the oil is the worse it performs--i would NEVER run a vehicle on regular oil to 10k miles.... if you want extended intervals in your oil changes, go full synthetic, then change at the DIC prompts or 5000 miles, whichever suits you best. the manuals also try to tell you that you wont need spark plugs until after 100k miles or you dont need to change antifreeze til then either, but both of those are not real-world scenarios. the plugs in the vehicle, will likely last at their best until 50-60k miles, dependent upon driving habits and locations, but they will loose performance thereafter. same with antifreeze.... and even trans fluid should really be changed sooner than what is reccomended.

you'll get alot of varying stories on oil change intervals, etc etc, because of the 'it has always worked for me and my dad and his dad and his dad, etc etc' stories but the bottom line is you need to do what makes you comfortable. for me, knowing the $$$ investment in my vehicles, i err on the side of caution and change the full synthetic in my 'burb at 5000 miles, sometimes a bit longer if i cant get to it, but i always have plenty of life left according to the DIC. my 2 cars get semi-syn and get changed at 3500-4000 miles. i'm all for conserving oil, etc, but i have to take care of my vehicles as i see fit. does that guarantee i will not experience a mechanical engine failure? no. does it reduce the risk? YES
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
TMMAR said:
I don't car what anyone thinks or what GM says. I did my first oil and filter change at about 1500 miles and will change it every 3000 mi or 4 months, which ever comes first. I feel that it is a small price to pay and hopefully will prolong the engine life. I have done this with every vehicle I have owned and think that GM would love to sell you a new vehicle every 5 years when your warranty runs out.


:ditto:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,695 Posts
toastyz71,
How do you change the DIC to reflect a different oil change interval than the one set by GM?? I haven't been able to figure that out and GM service said it can not be changed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
toastyz71 said:
i would hope that all of you are changing the oil after the initial 500-1000 mile break in point. that's just good practice with a new motor. the reccomended interchanges that are in the 10-12k range are for light driving, and ideal conditions. the only people i would consider light drivers would be those of the elderly persuasion, only driving back and forth to the grocery store and church. just about everyone else does enough stop and go driving to warrant the 'severe' label. that asside, regular non-synthetic oil is just NOT going to have the same viscosity index its whole life--the older the oil is the worse it performs--i would NEVER run a vehicle on regular oil to 10k miles.... if you want extended intervals in your oil changes, go full synthetic, then change at the DIC prompts or 5000 miles, whichever suits you best. the manuals also try to tell you that you wont need spark plugs until after 100k miles or you dont need to change antifreeze til then either, but both of those are not real-world scenarios. the plugs in the vehicle, will likely last at their best until 50-60k miles, dependent upon driving habits and locations, but they will loose performance thereafter. same with antifreeze.... and even trans fluid should really be changed sooner than what is reccomended.

you'll get alot of varying stories on oil change intervals, etc etc, because of the 'it has always worked for me and my dad and his dad and his dad, etc etc' stories but the bottom line is you need to do what makes you comfortable. for me, knowing the $$$ investment in my vehicles, i err on the side of caution and change the full synthetic in my 'burb at 5000 miles, sometimes a bit longer if i cant get to it, but i always have plenty of life left according to the DIC. my 2 cars get semi-syn and get changed at 3500-4000 miles. i'm all for conserving oil, etc, but i have to take care of my vehicles as i see fit. does that guarantee i will not experience a mechanical engine failure? no. does it reduce the risk? YES
I agree with most of the points you made except what you're considering light vs hard driving. A car used for short hops like going for groceries or to church in the neighborhood is the hardest kind of usage a car gets. Starting a car and running it a highway speed least 15 minutes or more is ideal or light duty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Does any one know the calculations that are used to determine life of oil. I would think GM does not have a simple method but one that takes into account various factors. If you put in Synthetic that would even build more of a factor into the calculation that would not be taken into account. Unless Syn allows lower running temp at a given speed and that will extend the life.

Give the people that design these system credit for using technology and information that was not available 30 yrs ago. Did you have a computer 25 yrs ago? There is likely more computiing power in your camera than in any computer that was normally available 25 yers ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,695 Posts
I was told by the Onstar person that I spoke to when I signed up for the diagnostic email that they have a number of factors that they use including mileage, idling time, average speed and some others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
I changed the oil the first time around 1000 miles (I agree that is good practice- get the break-in contaminants out). According to my OnStar report, it won't need to be changed again until 12,000 miles. I'll go by that for the most part unless it would be more convenient to do it earlier. I also agree that they wouldn't recommend these intervals if it wasn't safe for the engine. You can't really go wrong following the manufacturer's recommendations and there is no way they can dispute a claim if something goes wrong.

Oil threads are never fun on the other forums I've been involved with... too many strong opinions and very little science.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top