GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

Here is some information on the update to Turn By Turn I spoke about in previous posts.

OnStar Expands its Navigation Service with MapQuest Partnership

New OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation Enhancement to Allow

Subscribers to Send Destinations from MapQuest.com to Millions of GM Vehicles

DETROIT and DENVER (April 25, 2007) – GM’s OnStar and MapQuest announced today a collaboration that will allow OnStar subscribers to plan their driving route on MapQuest.com and send their destination right to OnStar’s easy to use Turn-by-Turn Navigation service. This new Turn-by-Turn service enhancement, OnStar Web Destination Entry, will allow subscribers to conveniently use MapQuest.com to research and plan their driving destinations with more than 15 million points-of-interest available through the number one mapping Web site.

General Motors and OnStar, the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and communication services, are making the simplest and smartest navigation service, OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation, available to more than 2 million vehicles in 2007 and an additional 3 million vehicles in 2008. This availability allows GM to offer the most navigation options across more vehicle segments and price ranges than any other vehicle manufacturer. MapQuest is the leading online mapping and directions destination and one of the most trusted and widely used brands on the Web. 1

“Our 10 years of experience have taught us that life happens when you’re driving,” said OnStar President Chet Huber. “The value of OnStar Web Destination Entry, which combines the powerfully-simple technology of OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation with the leading consumer Web site for maps and directions, MapQuest®, is added flexibility for our subscribers. The new service enhancement will allow them to use the Web to plan their destination while having the freedom to start the journey from wherever they want.”

OnStar and MapQuest will start a Web Destination Entry pilot program in the summer of 2007 with a select group of OnStar subscribers. Targeted for late 2007, OnStar Web Destination Entry will be available to all OnStar subscribers with Turn-by-Turn Navigation-capable vehicles.

“One of our goals at MapQuest is to make it convenient and easy for our users to plan their journey on their desktop computers and send the information to their cars. We are thrilled to be working with the world’s largest auto manufacturer to bring our great services to OnStar customers,” said Jim Greiner, Senior Vice President and General Manager of MapQuest. “This represents another example of how we are extending our ability to help consumers access MapQuest® services whenever and wherever they need them.”

OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation, a GM exclusive, was first introduced in February 2006 on the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS. It is available as a part of OnStar’s complete suite of safety, security and communication services. OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation is included in the first year of service on all 2007 Buicks and nearly all 2007 Cadillacs and a number of other 2007 GM vehicles. Additionally, it is available for a $100 service plan upgrade on many other 2007 GM cars and trucks during the first year of service

·
Registered
185 Posts
Boltbacker said:
OnStar and MapQuest will start a Web Destination Entry pilot program in the summer of 2007 with a select group of OnStar subscribers
Any idea how to get on the list for this pilot program? I'm interested as I'm sure most of the members here would be. Everyone that has a new Acadia has the service, right?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Keith said:
Dont have mine yet but I understand we do get that feature included for the first year
Yes, that was kind of rhetorical. What I was implying is that all of us new Acadia owners would be a good test group for their new service with the Mapquest integration because we all have free Directions & Connections for the first year. Sign me up!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I used the Onstar turn-by-turn feature for the first time last Saturday. my son stole by Garmin unit for a trip he was taking. The turn-by-turn worked very well for the first leg of my trip. However, when I was ready to start my second leg, the Onstar rep was unable to get the directions to download. She stated that I was in an area that did not have "cellular data coverage". I found that to be quite strange because it just took me to where I was, but now all the sudden no coverage. She knew where I was via the GPS, but had no other explanation. She said call back when I'm in another area. 20 miles later, same result...agent told me no cellular data coverage to download the directions. 40 miles later, same thing. The entire time I had good cellular phone coverage, and I was not even a remote area. I was not a happy camper. fortunately I had a map with me. Then, the last leg back home again it worked very well. go figure.

I get thru that area about once a month and intend to try it again when I return. I now have my Garmin back from my son. It has never failed me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have found the MicroSoft Streets & Trips program to be an invaluable traveling companion.

The GPS & software is less than $100, so it is also a bargain, compared to other options.

With it & your laptop in the 115v outlet, you are race ready.

·
Registered
542 Posts
"Yes, that was kind of rhetorical. What I was implying is that all of us new Acadia owners would be a good test group for their new service with the Mapquest integration because we all have free Directions & Connections for the first year. Sign me up!"

Sorry, not sure why that post ended up here. Was about something else. ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the Onstar turn-by-turn feature last week on around 1000 miles trip. It was working great. Just logon onstar.mapquest.com and enter up to 5 destinations then anytime get in the car, press onstar phone button and follow the guidance to pick your destination. System showed me turn-by-turn both by voice commands and on my radio screen precisely in yards. It notify me when i'm off the route and offer instruction to reroute. Only one time i was off the signal area, a live person picked up the phone and helped me manually how to get back to the route and the system then picked up signal from there. I believe right now testing the service is sending by email randomly to a few Acadia owners. It soon will be available to everybody.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Onstar just sent me an email invitation to be part of the pilot program, so I clicked on the Enroll Now link and ta-dah, I'm enrolled. I'd imagine that others will get this invitation as well. I'm going to try it out this weekend. We're going to Kankakee for a monster truck show.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bill in PA said:
I used the Onstar turn-by-turn feature for the first time last Saturday. my son stole by Garmin unit for a trip he was taking. The turn-by-turn worked very well for the first leg of my trip. However, when I was ready to start my second leg, the Onstar rep was unable to get the directions to download. She stated that I was in an area that did not have "cellular data coverage". I found that to be quite strange because it just took me to where I was, but now all the sudden no coverage. She knew where I was via the GPS, but had no other explanation. She said call back when I'm in another area. 20 miles later, same result...agent told me no cellular data coverage to download the directions. 40 miles later, same thing. The entire time I had good cellular phone coverage, and I was not even a remote area. I was not a happy camper. fortunately I had a map with me. Then, the last leg back home again it worked very well. go figure.

I get thru that area about once a month and intend to try it again when I return. I now have my Garmin back from my son. It has never failed me.
I was rather disappointed to learn that I have ZERO coverage for Turn-by-Turn up here in Northern BC where I live. We're not in the boonies by any stretch, but it's disappointing to hear that I have no "data coverage" until the lower portion of the province... 1100 kms away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just tried the new Map Quest route planner and it is nice, very easy to use. I think you will all enjoy using it, that is until our year is up. :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ok, what am I missing. Cool feature but seems like more hoops compared to just pressing the blue button and getting directions downloaded. Why type in all the info on your computer, put in your onstar info etc? Also, as you must use the white button to get virtual adviser, wont it will eat up your prepaid phone minutes? If it saved me from having to pay for turn by turn then that would be cool but you still have to have turn by turn for mapquest to work.

On a related front, has anyone used or familiar with Microsoft Streets and trips with GPS? Sound like it does the same thing as turn by turn including voice propmts. Does not require a subscription. Just plug in my lap top and I even get a screen showing a visual of where I am on the map. A viable option once my "free" year is up?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Previously had the MS Streets & Trips 2006 version and have upgraded to 2007. Nice features. 2008 is coming.
Pretty extensive discussions HERE

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used Microsoft Streets & Trips for a couple of years & I like it very much. Not only does it show you where you are, but has the ever cool 'breadcrumb' feature to show you where you've been, compared to your planned route, if you wish. Compared to other systems I have seen, seems to have much more available info - including phone numbers - for every hotel, restaurant, etc in the US. Flexibilty, as I have used it on planes, trains & cruises, & you need not be online.
And yes, it will give you verbal directions, but between work & home I have about 12 women giving me advice, so I choose to mute it. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
So I did the first one using MapQuest yesterday and it didn't work. My Virtual Advisor errored out and would not download the information. I ended up having to call the nice OnStar lady to have her download the directions into my car. I'm going to give it another try today. I've already sent the route to OnStar through MapQuest. We'll see if the Virtual Advisor is able to retrieve it this time. Thus far, I'm not impressed. *hmph*

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just used my turn by turn on a trip from MN to KS. I just got an address out of the phone book (or online) and when I got in the car told the OnStar lady where I was going. In a few seconds, I had great directions. It was very nice staying in an area I haven't been before. The kids wanted A and W, so I looked up the address and OnStar got me there. I loved it!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I do not think you need to look up the address beforehand as long as it is a business establishment they can search it for you. I was once travelling from VA to PA and my kids wanted KFC. I asked the avdisor to direct my me to the nearest KFC, moments later we are on our way.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
The Virtual Advisor was able to retrieve my second attempt at using MapQuest to download directions into my vehicle. It worked very well actually. :)

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Webraven,
What did you need to do to in Mapquest get the directions down to your Acadia? Is there an additional cost to use this feature?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I received one of the emails to sign up as a beta-tester. After I use the service, they email me a request to complete a survey about my experience.

When you're a beta-tester, after you look up a location on MapQuest, there's a link to send it to Onstar. Then in your vehicle, you click your blue phone button, ask for the Virtual Advisor and follow the steps to download the directions into your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts