GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am purchasing my first vehicle in 10 years after leasing my last 5 vehicles. I am sad that I have to turn in my leased Suburban, and need a towing vehicle that can seat 7. No more GMAC leases, and I am limited in what I can buy. I had my dealer search for one that I could afford and drove 75 miles to complete the deal last week and walked away. I hated the color (Crimson, which I thought would be red, but was purple :sosad:) and the cloth interior. I've had leather or plush cloth in the past and couldn't get over the rough mesh feel of the Acadia interior. I can't afford the leather ($40 more in payment - puts me way over my limit) and don't know what to do now. Does this new type of cloth interior grow on you? My sales rep is trying to see if he can locate a Traverse or Enclave with leather that might be on the $, but I don't like the looks of them as much as the Acadia.

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
428 Posts
The cloth interior is actually nice. i have owned nothing but GM vehicles and had the plush cloth as well. My Acadia which is Crimson by the way has the black cloth interior and it is nice. It is comfortable and I have no complaints about it. My silverado has the plush cloth and it collects lint badly. The Acadia has no such issues. Also the Dark Crimson Metallic paint changes color in the sun, it only looks purple in low light. When it is clean and in bright light the color is awesome. Of course it is all personal opinion

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
lfeather said:
Hi there,
I am purchasing my first vehicle in 10 years after leasing my last 5 vehicles. I am sad that I have to turn in my leased Suburban, and need a towing vehicle that can seat 7. No more GMAC leases, and I am limited in what I can buy. I had my dealer search for one that I could afford and drove 75 miles to complete the deal last week and walked away. I hated the color (Crimson, which I thought would be red, but was purple :sosad:) and the cloth interior. I've had leather or plush cloth in the past and couldn't get over the rough mesh feel of the Acadia interior. I can't afford the leather ($40 more in payment - puts me way over my limit) and don't know what to do now. Does this new type of cloth interior grow on you? My sales rep is trying to see if he can locate a Traverse or Enclave with leather that might be on the $, but I don't like the looks of them as much as the Acadia.

Thanks for any feedback!
Welcome to the forum. I might suggest updating your profile to include your location. This will assist members with helping you.

Where are you? There maybe someone on here that has a dealer to suggest in your area that may be able to work with you.
Do you have to get a new Acadia, or will used work? You could probably find a used 2008 SLT 1 or Standard SLT 2 with leather for about the same price as a New SLE with cloth.
The cloth seats are nice, my wife has similar ones in her vehicle, and they are definately different then the old style, but seem to be cooler and easier to keep clean then plush cloth.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Based on what you've stated, I'll ask a question and make some other suggestions-

1) Do you have to have a new vehicle? A 1 year old vehicle equipped as you want would probably be in your price range.

You can learn a lot on these forums. We have an extensive buying thread/section here. You will probably find a better deal by doing some research and soliciting offers on your own vs. using a sales rep that has to be paid commission to buy from another dealer that also has to be paid commission. In other words, can you cut out the middle man?

You can "build your own" on all car maker websites these days and then search for similar vehicles in inventory. This is not always accurate, but will give you some options. Also keep an eye on Autotrader.com, vehix.com, and ebay motors. All offer new and used vehicles and you can refine your search based on some criteria.

For what it is worth, we wanted a cloth interior. We ended up w/ leather because of the cooled seat option. We also did not like the color of the titanium (too light) so we ended up w/ ebony. This will be our first summer with it and we're hoping for no burned legs! We usually put towels down on the seats in hot weather when it is parked outside.

Just noticed bonk has suggested mainly the same things... great minds think alike. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not comfortable purchasing a used vehicle at that price/payment. I'm new to purchasing at this $ level, as I've been leasing for 10 years. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the thought of the same payment for a vehicle $20k less than what I've been driving. I know it may seem illogical, but I'm just being honest. My sales rep has been looking for a car with an older invoice date, because he can negotiate with that. We are GM family, so I'm supposed to be able to get the lowest price. I didn't think about building online as it always comes out thousands more. I have been so loyal to this dealer, it almost feels like I'm cheating on him going somewhere else. The other option he's thrown at me is to go FWD, instead of AWD. Since I've been driving 4WD for 10 years, I'm worried about that, here in Michigan.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Sounds like you have thought about most options then. If your loyal to a dealer and are 100% sure that they are giving you the best deal, there is no problem WINDOW SHOPPING or price comparing with another dealer to make sure you are in fact getting the best deal.

It is hard to suggest to many things without knowing your magic $number (which I am not asking you to disclose unless you want to) because that makes the biggest difference.

lfeather said:
I'm having a hard time adjusting to the thought of the same payment for a vehicle $20k less than what I've been driving. I know it may seem illogical, but I'm just being honest.
Not sure why you don't want to spend this much on a used Acadia, I guess I don't understand the concern or reasoning. Either way your going to be paying a hefty price, you should get what you want and not sacrifice to much or you will end up being disappointed, I am just being honest. If are used to getting new vehicles then you will probably not be happy getting 2nd hand goods.. If you were driving a $55K suburban around, then you will probably want leather seats and a smooth ride.
The positive note is that you don't have a leased vehicle that you need to turn in, you have a vehicle that you will be able to trade in or sell and get money back :-\
I guess I am just saying bite the bullet, I know it is easy for me to say behind the computer, but you obviously need to be happy with your purchase. Best of luck.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The cloth is nice but not as rich looking as the leather of course. How much are you planning on towing? The Acadia will not take the place of the Suburban if your trailer is heavy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The trailer is 4000 lbs empty and Acadia will pull 5200, so we are ok with that. We used to pull it with a Trailblazer and that was rated 5500. The price that I was comfortable with was $31,200 that was the price of the one I turned down (I am thinking I won't get AWD, towing and leather for that).

·
Registered
956 Posts
What will be the max trailer weight and what kind of terrain? The Acadia based on my experience would probably be struggling with a 5000 trailer if you were doing a lot of pulling on steep grades or at high altitudes. If you're driving on mostly flat ground with an occasional steep grade you should be ok. It's not the power as much as cooling. Others here may have a different opinion and more experience trailering heavy loads with their Acadia. I live at 6500 feet so I do have some experience pulling up and down the mountain.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
OKay pleading ignorance here, but can an SLE even be purchased/Ordered with leather? I think that is only available with SLT1 and SLT2.
The SLE With AWD MSRP is 33,890 + $495 for trailer, and + $495 to get 7 seating vs 8 seating NO leather
      SLT With AWD MSRP is 38,250 + $495 for trailer

I would imagine you could get a dealer to bite off on 35,000 for a New SLT1 AWD 7

jrock said:
Purchase Date.    Feb. 28, 2009
Dealership            Johnson Motors, Aiken, SC
Model                  2009 FWD Gold Mist Metalic
Trim Level            SLT1, Power liftgate, Visibility package, Remote Start
MSRP                  $38,275
Incentives Rec.    $4,602
Price Paid            $33,673
killymom said:
So, today I brought home the Acadia that I've waited for for 2 long years!  The dealer ended up giving us $14K for the Malibu.

2009 SLE Quicksilver w/ Ebony interior
FWD
Preferred package
Convenience package
7 passenger seating

MSRP: $33,170
End price: $30,690, took 0% financing

I'm really happy with it.  For the lowest trim level, it doesn't feel like it's lacking in options or missing anything to me.  The two packages added the couple of things that I can't live without.  The only thing I miss is having leather with heated seats (we had a loaded Grand Cherokee Limited before the Malibu), but I can live with that until I'm not home with the kids anymore and can afford a loaded vehicle again.  I'm so happy to have my own Acadia.  Now I don't have to look crazy while drooling over the ones I see in parking lots!

Thanks for the advice!
swb001 said:
Well my buying ordeal is finally over.  I settled on NEW after looking at USED and DEMOS.  I tried about 5 different dealers to get better than Supplier's Pricing.  It's funny given the situation GM is in, no dealer wants to "deal".  Anyway I circumvented the idiot salesman and his manager that I had been working with locally and got a deal closed with a manager at their satellite office.  I was able to get GM Employee pricing (thanks in part to a dealer 100 miles away running this special) but no additional bonuses with the 0% financing, even though GMs website is not so clear about the $500 auto show bonus offered locally.  I was able to get lifetime oil changes instead. :thumb:

Here's the summary:

2009 SLT1 FWD
Quicksilver / Ebony
DVD
Power Lift Gate
115V Outlet
Remote Start
Trailer Package
Lifetime Oil Changes

MSRP = $39,545
Invoice = $36,754

My Price = $35,756 + $2,719 (TTL)

Throughly go through all options and test drive several Acadias SLE SLT1 and SLT2. There are even differences in the power steering between a SLE and SLT.. Figure out exactly what you want and what you need. Then get a good price figured that you want to pay that is practical and reasonable.... If the dealer isnt there with you after negotiating, then tell them they lost out.. You are going to buy an Acadia for the price that you have determined, and is just a matter of them selling it to you or you getting it from someone else.... They want to sell a car, and you want to BUY one ( Don't expect them to give it away) it is just a matter of meeting at the right term(s)... If they can't drop the price, then have them throw in extras, oil changes, tire rotations anything they can do service for.
Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I had overlooked the towing issue- Craig has good info.

In my experience, the Acadia would struggle pulling just your 4K trailer. Not towing, the V6 cannot hold a speed set on cruise control closer than 4 MPH- you set it at 65, it will drop to 63 and then get up to 67 on mildly rolling hills. I don't have this issue with my V8 powered Durango (I think it is rated at around 8K for towing, and I've used it to tow my heavy 20' car hauler with everything from a 280Z to the 4K+ Challenger) or the V8 Challenger- 1 MPH max difference. There is a lot of info here about transmission concerns with the Acadia. In my experience, it has a very "loose" torque converter to makeup for the lack of torque from the motor and the 4K + vehicle weight. Torque is what moves weight. The loose converter is borne out by the Acadia rolling back while in drive on a slight incline. Loose converters are used to maximize the engine torque to move the vehicle- the engine spins faster before the vehicle moves. You'll see the same thing on drag racers- they call them "stall" converters, i.e. 3500 stall- the converter engages at 3500 RPM based on certain conditions. There is a lot of technical stuff there that exceeds my knowledge base, but in a nutshell if you are planning on towing a 4k+ trailer and hauling up to 7 people at the same time, you should look into buying another full size SUV.

I know when we looked at Acadias in August last year they had over a dozen Yukons/Escalades sitting in stock & they couldn't sell them. I take it the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban is out of your price range even with employee pricing? I know they had really heavy discounts right after we looked at them.

As for FWD vs AWD, we have a good selection of both here, and many active members in your area. I'm sure they will weigh in as to if it is needed or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. We won't be towing with 7 people, just 4 of us. I need the 7 seats for carpool. We don't tow far and no big hills. We camp in Michigan in the lower peninsula, pretty flat and less than 300 miles. I was concerned about the towing capacity but had heard good things about the Acadia pulling campers. We talked to an engineer at GM and he said that he pulls a 3500 boat with his.

Even with GM discount, no one has been able to get me into a Tahoe or Suburban for the price of an Acadia. I am just at a loss. I never would have done a 2 year lease if I ever thought that leasing would go away. Now I'm stuck with a trailer that I have to pull, no money to put down and can't afford more than $32,000. :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I visited the family first website (GM Employee pricing linked in Blues Clues) and priced the Acadia:
FWD:
SLE w/ preferred package, trailering, advanced remote start: $31,480 (about $900 of this is the preferred & remote start)
SLE w/ trailiering: $30,549
SLT1 w/ trailering: $34,474

AWD:
SLE w/ trailering $32,379
SLT-1 w/ trailering $36,304

Since you have taxes (6%?) on top of all of these prices as well as other fees, I don't see getting out the door for under $32K since the stripped FWD SLE ends up a few hundred over that.

Financially, you'd be better off getting a year old Acadia or possibly a Traverse:
FWD:
1LS w/ trailering: $28,138
1LT w/ trailering: $30,343<--- Less than $200 over your $32K figure w/ 6% tax[/color]

AWD:
1LS: $29,968

Next, I looked at Vehix.com for a used 2009 Acadia.

In the Detroit area, I found a couple of SLE models for under $25K with less than 50 miles on them. Keep in mind these are asking prices in an area hard-hit for vehicle sales, so you should be able to save enough to cover your taxes and fees at the very least, so you are looking at a $7K or so savings. If you do some searching of the listed websites, I'm sure you'll find a used 2009 SLT-1 within your price range with less than 10K miles on it.

You should always ask the dealer for the service history of any used GM vehicle before buying it to insure it does not have any issues.

The option path for the base models is very limited. We have several posts here of people that have these and are trying to add (retrofit) devices like the nav radio, Bluetooth, driver info, etc. IF you don't (that is WON'T EVER unless you want to retrofit it or have it retrofitted) need this stuff, a new base model SLE or 1LS may be ideal for you. If your Suburban had this stuff, chances are you're going to miss having it and at some point will regret buying one w/o the options. This may be the case with the leather interior. I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just illustrating some possibilities.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Real simple: You can't negotiate the GM employee price. People are talking about "getting the best deal" and "negotiating"...won't happen, the price is the same wherever you go. Now that that's out of the way, welcome to the forum lfeather! I also live in MI, so "welcome neighbor" ;D Good luck finding the Acadia you are most happy with. I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in the deal here, but IF that dealer also sells Buicks, take a look at the Enclave CX with cloth. The GMS price will be around $32,000 plus or minus depending on options. But, I know you have picked the Acadia, and that's a wonderful vehicle, almost identical to the Enclave mechanically. Either way you will be very happy. (the cloth on the Enclave is totally different than the Acadia, it's more plush, to use your term ) :thumb:

bonk1313 said:
.... They want to sell a car, and you want to BUY one ( Don't expect them to give it away) it is just a matter of meeting at the right term(s)... If they can't drop the price, then have them throw in extras, oil changes, tire rotations anything they can do service for.
Best of luck.
That's against GM policy. No dealer can "sweeten the deal" by offering free services, it's against the rules for a GM employee purchase

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
09Enclave said:
Real simple:  You can't negotiate the GM employee price.  People are talking about "getting the best deal"  and "negotiating"...won't happen, the price is the same wherever you go.  Now that that's out of the way, welcome to the forum lfeather!  I also live in MI, so "welcome neighbor"  ;D  Good luck finding the Acadia you are most happy with.  I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in the deal here, but IF that dealer also sells Buicks, take a look at the Enclave CX with cloth.  The GMS price will be around $32,000 plus or minus depending on options.  But, I know you have picked the Acadia, and that's a wonderful vehicle, almost identical to the Enclave mechanically.  Either way you will be very happy.  (the cloth on the Enclave is totally different than the Acadia, it's more plush, to use your term )   :thumb:

bonk1313 said:
.... They want to sell a car, and you want to BUY one ( Don't expect them to give it away) it is just a matter of meeting at the right term(s)... If they can't drop the price, then have them throw in extras, oil changes, tire rotations anything they can do service for.
Best of luck.
That's against GM policy.  No dealer can "sweeten the deal" by offering free services, it's against the rules for a GM employee purchase
Leave out the GM employee purchase program, just negotiate. 

In Oct 2007 when Acadias couldn't be kept on the lot. I as able to get a 2008 SLT2 FWD with Dual Sky and trailer, for $35,6--.
Now that the sales are taking a crap, I believe that you can do the same if not better with an 09 AWD Trailer,

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Leave out the GM employee purchase program, just negotiate.
She can try, but I don't see it being any better then GMS price. For example: My Enclave had a sticker price for $35,840, the dealer invoice price was $34,265.66, and the GMS price was $32,572.65. Now if anyone thinks they can negotiate more than $1,693 under invoice, more power to them. I just don't see a dealer doing that.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
lfeather said:
I hated the color (Crimson, which I thought would be red, but was purple :sosad:) and the cloth interior.
Awww... I love the Crimson! LOL It's almost "black" at night, deep purple in overcast light and a brighter purple in direct sunlight. I guess purple is an acquired taste. ;)

lfeather said:
I've had leather or plush cloth in the past and couldn't get over the rough mesh feel of the Acadia interior. I can't afford the leather ($40 more in payment - puts me way over my limit) and don't know what to do now. Does this new type of cloth interior grow on you? My sales rep is trying to see if he can locate a Traverse or Enclave with leather that might be on the $, but I don't like the looks of them as much as the Acadia.
I have the cloth interior in my SLE. I never thought much about it not being very "plush". I've always thought it was quite comfortable and it cleans up easily and in two years, is showing no signs of wear. But then again, I'm not a leather interior person. Sure it "looks" nice, but it's too hot for me in the summer and too cold in the winter. Yeah you can get the heated and cooled seats, but that just ups the price of the vehicle. And besides that, I'm fairly sure you can't get leather in an SLE... not by option anyway.

If you like the Acadia, don't get pushed into an Enclave or Traverse. In the long run, you won't be happy because you knew initially that you wanted the Acadia. Personally I prefer the looks of the Acadia over those two any day of the week. And if you're spending that much on a vehicle, you might as well get the one you want!

I think if the cloth seats are the only thing holding you back... don't let them! Also, I saw that you were absolutely not interested in purchasing a prior year model. Because it's "used"? Some people have actually found brand spankin' new '08s still on the lots. Might be something to look for. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth... which is probably less than 0.5 cents in today's economy. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
lfeather said:
Now I'm stuck with a trailer that I have to pull, no money to put down and can't afford more than $32,000. :eek:hno:
p.s. I paid less than $31K for my Red Jewel Acadia SLE with 7 passenger seating, power seats and towing package. If you could get past your distaste for the cloth interior... I'd be willing to bet you'd love it! :thumb:

Of course it's FWD. But I do live in Chicagoland and we get our fair share of snow. It handles absolutely fine in all weather conditions. The traction control works great! You can definitely tell the difference when you turn it off.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I just visited the GMC retail website and looked at current offers. They reference up to $2,250 cash back for the Acadia but there are no details. I've read here that GM Employees get these offers on top of the price, so this could cover your taxes. When I built a 2009, there was no cash back in the final price on either the employee or retail websites.

I like purple also... and it is an acquired taste, Mrs. Blue doesn't care for it outside of popsicles. :) She thinks I'm Plum Crazy for liking it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to head over to another GMC dealer at lunch and check out their inventory. I think I may be able to get over my cloth interior issue, now I need to take my conversation over to the towing forum. I'm more nervous about THAT now!

P.S. - I would be ok with a "new" 08, even a demo, but there are none available around here and the towing capacity is lower, so I had eliminated that early.

:thumb: I hope to be an active member of the Acadia forum soon, if it works out!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts