1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
102 Posts
Works perfect on my '07. Ordered it from Autoanything, use the 10% code mentioned on the other thread and save an additional 5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just received my K&N filter today. It was sitting on my porch when I got home. Going out to install now. All my other vehicles I dis-connected battery after install. Anybody do that?

·
Registered
812 Posts
potatojoe said:
I just received my K&N filter today. It was sitting on my porch when I got home. Going out to install now. All my other vehicles I dis-connected battery after install. Anybody do that?
these filters are the drop-in type, i dont see the need to disconnect the battery after putting them in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What do you guys think the purpose of this filter thing is in the top of air cleaner housing? Silencer??

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look at the difference of surface area between K&N and stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
potatojoe said:
Look at the difference of surface area between K&N and stock.
Which one is which? I look at the two and would not be able to tell which one is better. Just at a glance, it looks like the one on the left is built better, but I don't even know what I am looking for. Please educate me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One on the left is stock. One on right is K&N.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks potatoejoe! The k&n might stop more particles with the filter oil and heavier construction, but stock looks like it would breathe better.

·
Registered
812 Posts
potatojoe said:
What do you guys think the purpose of this filter thing is in the top of air cleaner housing? Silencer??
could be a pre-filter.... just a guess!!!

wearefla said:
Thanks potatoejoe! The k&n might stop more particles with the filter oil and heavier construction, but stock looks like it would breathe better.
i second to that.... thanks Potatojoe for the pics, keep up the mod. :thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just put the new K&N in last night. Next week we are taking a road trip we've taken many times with the Acadia...I can't wait to see if this filter makes any difference in fuel mileage, pulling power while in cruise as the vehicle crests the overpasses and general driveability.

I've had K&N's in the past and I do believe they add more air to the engine. My guess is this 3.6 is smart enough to take advantage of that added air. Next week we will find out if it's cold air or just a bunch of "hot air". Either way...I will save money on air filters.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A question in my mind has always been if K&N filters flow more air to the engine, do they also allow more dirt into the engine? Although a lot opinions about this issue seem to exist, it seems to me that more flow = more dirt. If more performance (maybe only about 1% from what I have read) is what you want, but at the expense of longer engine life, then perhaps the K&N is the right filter to use. I personally have never used a K&N, but I will probably wait for a synthetic media filter such as Amsoil or Baldwin to become available if I want to change filter media. It seems to me that doing a used oil analysis is a good idea when using a K&N just to confirm what the dirt(silicon) contaminant level in the used oil really is.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
RedRocker said:
Just put the new K&N in last night. Next week we are taking a road trip we've taken many times with the Acadia...I can't wait to see if this filter makes any difference in fuel mileage, pulling power while in cruise as the vehicle crests the overpasses and general driveability.

I've had K&N's in the past and I do believe they add more air to the engine. My guess is this 3.6 is smart enough to take advantage of that added air. Next week we will find out if it's cold air or just a bunch of "hot air". Either way...I will save money on air filters.
With just a drop in oiled type filter with factory intake, I would be surprised if any increase in mpg on a 4000 lb machine with V6. I have S&B CAI in my Pony and record 2 mpg more vs factory Intake with std filter. sbfilters.com, meets ISO TEST standards. I would be looking for CAI system, if anyone would produce for around $200.00, not expecting much. It would sure sound nice though when you tromp in it!

·
Registered
294 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used K&N for the past 23 years in various vehicles. I bought a new '95 Chevy pickup and installed the K&N filter in early '96. This filter has about 170k miles on it -- I clean it once a year. The inside of the filter housing and the throttle body are extremely clean. I change my oil every 3500 miles and the oil level is less than 1/2 qt low at change time. This truck gets its share of severe duty in very dusty conditions. The K&N does a great job at filtration. I'll be changing to the K&N in the Re: NEW K&N air filter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Snoguy said:
A question in my mind has always been if K&N filters flow more air to the engine, do they also allow more dirt into the engine? Although a lot opinions about this issue seem to exist, it seems to me that more flow = more dirt. If more performance (maybe only about 1% from what I have read) is what you want, but at the expense of longer engine life, then perhaps the K&N is the right filter to use. I personally have never used a K&N, but I will probably wait for a synthetic media filter such as Amsoil or Baldwin to become available if I want to change filter media. It seems to me that doing a used oil analysis is a good idea when using a K&N just to confirm what the dirt(silicon) contaminant level in the used oil really is.
Apparently they DO let in more dirt, as a forum member has found at the Enclaveformum here: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=468.msg24908 and subsequently blown off as insignificant! How the heck he knows the bump in silicates makes little difference is beyond me. Reports by mechanics of fouled mass air flow sensors (MAF) are also found: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=192652&highlight=fouled+MAF and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=196178&highlight=K&N+MAF

For a pretty thorough test of filter efficiency, see http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Buyer beware.

TM

·
Registered
1 Posts
This also installs cleanly in an '08 in about 30 minutes.
Extra time taken because the only torx driver in the house has a 6" shank, required creative use on the bottom/back 2 screws.

And for what it's worth, I've run K&N filters on a dozen different cars, and have never encountered a problem

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK ! I installed the new K&N air filter on my '07 tonight.
This was most work I have ever had to deal with for a replacement air filter. Six screws are used to join the air box "halves". I guess spring clips would be too easy. And, the positioning of the screws must have been determined by the Department of Frustration ("OK, heres a spot thats almost invisible from above and there is no clearance to get your hand in there and remove the loose screw, LETS PUT ONE THERE !")

All-in-all it took about 40 minutes, counting the gathering of tools, to accomplish the switch.
I'll drive it outta the garage in the morning............but it did start..........so far-so good !

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I have had a K&N filter in my vehicle for a while now and just got done at th edealership where I was advised by the service tech to remove it.

There is concern that the lubricating oil for the k&n air filter, may actually get sucked into the intake system, and clog or damage the Mass Airflow Sensor that is located on the tubing, at the top of the Air filter housing.

I am not positive that this will actually be a problem, but understand the logic and concern.

It is a $58 part on GMpartsdirect, just not sure I want to take the chance of damaging it or replacing it, so I might be removing it shortly.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
bonk1313 said:
..... It is a $58 part on GMpartsdirect, just not sure I want to take the chance of damaging it or replacing it, so I might be removing it shortly.
I hope you're talking about removing the filter and NOT the MAF sensor!! :blob:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I think K & N generally is for performance vehicles, for which the Acadia, and other Lambdas are hardly. (even if we all agree they have plenty of power for their size) Just the same, they are not performance vehicles, and with all the computer "stuff" on new vehicles these days, it's pretty much a good assumption to stick to stock.

I put a K & N in my 95 Sunfire way back when, and that too was not a performance vehicle, and I really couldn't tell any difference from stock.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts