GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

We bought a new Acadia last month. We bought base everything with a bench seat. We love the CUV, but hate the head unit. There is no bass (even when cranked up) and radio reception is so-so.

However, when we bought the base model, we figured we'd upgrade those components that were important to us with aftermarket components (like a nice radio). Does anyone know if we can swap our head unit for a head unit that would fit in any other GM model bearing the same base unit?

I know that the radios in the Acadia and other GM units (like the Impala we rented last weekend) look the same, I just can't find any information on head units that work with the Acadia.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
215 Posts
a new head unit isn't really going to change the sound issue. That's more of an issue with the the amp & speakers.

If you're content with the workings of the head unit, you'd be better served changing the amp & speakers.

As far as the actual head unit install, you won't really have any problems as it's the same set-up as, say the '07 Silverado or Avalanche.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would have to agree - the problem is not so much the head unit. I have the base unit also - in my Outlook. Was not happy with the sound of the high end unit either. Since I have the base unit iti was easy to swapped out the speakers all six of them. Then installed a 4 channel amp for them - now it sound a whole lot better.

But I did not stop there - I add in two 10" subs and another amp. Now it sounds perfect. I am not into loud music..... just quaility!

The best part is it all looks base - stock. (except the sub hidding under the cargo cover).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know if these stock head units have a usable line out? I figure there has to be some form of line out for use with a factory amp, at least on the Bose models.

Also, be careful when replacing the stock speakers in a Bose system if you are not replacing the amp. I know on most Bose systems the speakers run at 8 ohms or 16 ohms-- most aftermarket speakers are designed to run at 4 ohms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts