GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
What a great site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a new Acadia or Enclave but have one thing that is casting doudt in my mind. I have only ever owned 4x4's and am wondering how AWD stacks up to 4WD----I don't go off road but do use my vehicle to get to work and the Winters are harsh up in NE Pennsylvania.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Acadia AWD with Traction and Stability Control is very probably much better that most 4X4's. It is great in the snow and winter weather. I would, however, recommend the 18 inch wheels and tires over the 19's on the Acadia for better winter traction. Just my opinion. See the following thread for more discussion on this same subject.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3120.0

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Snoguy-------Just what I needed to hear!!!!!!! You removed my doudts!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the quick reply and link!

Dave

·
Registered
207 Posts
AWD is actually better than the old school locked in 4x4. The front differential was locked on those and I did a nice 360 trying to turn a tight hairpin corner coming down the ski hill in my dads chev pu. YIKES! I grew up driving crazy in the snow but that was a new one for me as I wasn't actually horsing around for once. The big ole balloon tires he had on there didn't help me any either. :eek:

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can do what you want on the tires, I think. we have the 19" tires and live in very wintery Nebraska and had NO problems all winter. In fact, it was AWESOME on those country roads that didn't quite get the city street maintenance. I've never felt so secure. of course, I was coming from a supercharged buick regal, but still, this vehicle is wonderful on all roads, wet or dry, snow or ice, rain, gravel and pavement. No worries. My hubby's a farmer and is absolutely convinced that the 19" are equal if not better than the 18" because there's more surface area. We test drove one with 18" (summer gravel) and bought 19", no noticable difference for us out here in the sticks. I am the lesser skilled driver in the family and have loved everything about this car from the moment I sat in it.

Heather

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a Ford Expedition that runs normally in AWD mode with a differential between the front and rear axles. Selecting "4H" turns it into a true 4x4 with the front and rear driveshafts locked together - although the front and rear axle differentials are still free. Switching between the two modes in the same vehicle under the same conditions provides a good comparison. The AWD gets the job done but there is noticable wheelspin as the torque shifts from wheel to wheel. Of course, the Acadia probably has much better traction and stability controls. I prefer the 4x4 mode in slippery conditions because the vehicle seems more stable and does not "hunt" for traction, but it is by no means essential for on-road use. Of course the Expedition also has a two speed transfer case that makes it surprisingly capable off road despite its bulk, and that's something the Acadia and similar crossovers can't match.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's a good description. Man, I didn't think I was going back that far but my Explorer didn't run the control trac, had locked in front transfer and the only give I had was the limited slip in the back. My dads pu has manual locking hubs, solid locked front diff and detroit locker rear that never gave. Now that is a true 4x4. Off road and rock climbing anyone?

The AWD is just fine for street driving. I went over and back through two different snowy and icy mountain passes in stock trim with aplomb. It's a sure footed vehicle.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Just got back from Ohio where I had to go up a steep drive to my in-laws cabin in the woods. The drive had some icy spots and I was sure glad that the rear tires on the AWD could help. The owners of the cabin have all 4WD/
AWD and the few that came with FWD could not make it up the hill.

I also am 100% sure that the 18" tires are significantly better in the snow. They not only were designed for that, but also if you look at tirerack.com you will see that the 18"s are rated at the top of their class while the 19"s are rated pretty low.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also currently have an Expedition with the AWD and 4H switch-------I have been using AWD more this Winter to try it out and had no problems. I feel the 4H switch is a psychological comfort. I am dumping my Expedition because of the $400+/month fuel bills!!!
Was just apprehensive about the AWD only system.

Thanks for the replys

Dave

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The Acadia AWD will give fuel savings compared to an Expedition.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Whatever...I own a 2000 Expedition and my Acadia is "better" but not enough to trade in my Expedition and call it a "fuel savings". When you're talking a 400+ monthly fuel bill, you ain't gonna cut too deep into it with an Acadia - and I don't consider mine SLT a fluke.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jake
You do not think that adding 5-7 more MPG is not a savings??????
My commute is approx 60 miles round trip and 100% highway-------I know I will not cut my fuel bill drasticly BUT It will be a savings. Besides I am in the process of a messy divorce from Ford--------My Expedition has been less than desirable and I had to fight with Ford every step of the way for warranty work so I am done with Ford!!!!
When a company cannot even fix the junk they make-I have no use for them.
WHEW--------I feel better since I got that off my chest!!!! ;D

Thanks for your input-I do appreciate it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Jake_99 said:
Whatever...I own a 2000 Expedition and my Acadia is "better" but not enough to trade in my Expedition and call it a "fuel savings". When you're talking a 400+ monthly fuel bill, you ain't gonna cut too deep into it with an Acadia - and I don't consider mine SLT a fluke.
I saw an article about this once. If you really only need 2 passenger room and don't have that much luggage, then you could just buy a small economy car and save tons on gas mileage. For some however, the 8 passenger room is what is needed. If that is the case, then there are few options that beat the Acadia. If you don't mind going mini-van, both Honda and Toyota give 8 passenger options, but neither of them actually fit 8 as comfortably as the Acadia. And even the Pilot that says 8 passenger will really only fit 8 if most are kids.

So if anyone was to think that they would cut their 400+ Expedition fuel costs by a huge margin by going with about the same size vehicle, then they are not thinking clearly. For sure, it would not make sense to upgrade to an Acadia from an Expedition just to save some gas money if the Expedition still had a bunch of life in it. But if one was ready to get the next car, and needed the functionality of the bigger vehicle, then the Acadia will save on gas over the Expedition and might be the wiser choice. (I say might, because if you need to tow an 8000 lb trailer, then the Expedition is the best option.)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dave, I don't know what your hwy conditions are like but I have a pretty clean shot (little traffic and no slow downs) on my trip twice a week. I run 70-75mph and I'm easy on the gas peddle. I rarely need to pass anybody and there are two long grades that I have to go through. My mpg is just slightly above 22 mpg on these trips with a little short bit of in town mixed in on both ends. I think those are probably ideal hwy conditions but that is what I consistantly get with my AWD Acadia.

I haven't towed my boat far enough to see the damage to mpg yet but it does tow fine for the short runs I need it to do.

·
Registered
207 Posts
GAR said:
Jake_99 said:
I saw an article about this once. If you really only need 2 passenger room and don't have that much luggage, then you could just buy a small economy car and save tons on gas mileage. For some however, the 8 passenger room is what is needed. If that is the case, then there are few options that beat the Acadia. If you don't mind going mini-van, both Honda and Toyota give 8 passenger options, but neither of them actually fit 8 as comfortably as the Acadia. And even the Pilot that says 8 passenger will really only fit 8 if most are kids.

So if anyone was to think that they would cut their 400+ Expedition fuel costs by a huge margin by going with about the same size vehicle, then they are not thinking clearly. For sure, it would not make sense to upgrade to an Acadia from an Expedition just to save some gas money if the Expedition still had a bunch of life in it. But if one was ready to get the next car, and needed the functionality of the bigger vehicle, then the Acadia will save on gas over the Expedition and might be the wiser choice. (I say might, because if you need to tow an 8000 lb trailer, then the Expedition is the best option.)
I actually looked at buying an econo box along with a Yukon and I quickly decided it didn't pencil out. There just isn't enough savings in gas $$ to offset insurance, maintenance and depreciation on another vehicle (and that was even a used econo box). I also didn't need more rolling stock in my yard as I already have 4 bays filled up. Slightly off topic but because I have to haul a boat it doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rod
My commute is just like yours without any city involved----I travel at 65-75 MPH and there is no traffic at 5am.
I am sure the gas mileage will be better BUT that is not the only reason I am getting a Acadia. I need the seating for 7-8 or else I would buy a five seater.
When I go to the city after work is usually in my wife's company car so it is rare that I use my truck besides commuting to and from work.
I do not tow anything either so I think it is a win/win for me with the Acadia and besides like I stated earlier, I am unhappy with Ford at the present.
Thanks for the info
Dave

·
Registered
130 Posts
Going back to the tires for a moment, I have the 19" wheels and I have been very impressed with the Acadia in the snow. Very sure footed - but this is compared to the Yukon I was driving. Now don't get me wrong, the Yukon was fine, but a very high center of gravity compared to the Acadia. Yesterday, I was at a stoplight admiring the fine looking Acadia next to me, and couldn't help but notice the 18" tires on it. They looked like they had wicked tread for shredding the snow. Looked a lot different than mine (and that was just on the top side-wall area). I've not formally compared the 2, but the 18" tires did look markedly different than the ones on my sled.

·
Registered
125 Posts
tire tread would make a small difference, if the 18" has tires with a different enough tread than the 19" perhaps there is a difference, but I still don't think I'd notice it (personally). But even then, couldn't you run through your factory tires and get deeper tread 19" tires for your next set?

·
Registered
46 Posts
DCabets28 said:
Rod
My commute is just like yours without any city involved----I travel at 65-75 MPH and there is no traffic at 5am.
I am sure the gas mileage will be better BUT that is not the only reason I am getting a Acadia. I need the seating for 7-8 or else I would buy a five seater.
When I go to the city after work is usually in my wife's company car so it is rare that I use my truck besides commuting to and from work.
I do not tow anything either so I think it is a win/win for me with the Acadia and besides like I stated earlier, I am unhappy with Ford at the present.
Thanks for the info
Dave
Just drove 700 miles round trip from RI to NH. Averaged 50 mph according to trip computer (acutally 70 to 75 mph on the actually interstate), and got 19.8 mpg. If its all highway miles, good mileage. Around town though it's pretty **** thirsty at about 14 to 15 mpg. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts