GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
How Does the Connection Work?
The connection needs in-vehicle Wi-Fi, as Bluetooth alone isn’t robust enough. The latter enables phone calls or streaming music, but it ultimately supports relatively little data. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto need a hardier connection — the impetus behind a physical cable in the first place, which both systems required at inception. A Wi-Fi connection to the multimedia system through an in-vehicle router accommodates more data. It’s the “only wireless protocol that has enough bandwidth to support phone mirroring,” explained David Amodeo, J.D. Power’s director of global automotive.

The downside of such a data-intensive connection? It kills your battery. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can exact such a heavy drain that we’ve observed phones tethered to older-generation USB ports lose their battery charge while using the systems, so robust charging sources are a must. Wireless charging pads have answered the call — a feature that’s proliferated across the industry, especially in cars with wireless Apple CarPlay.

If My Car Already Has Wi-Fi, Could I Get Wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?
That’s unlikely because it isn’t that simple. Almost all cars with in-vehicle Wi-Fi (think GM’s built-in 4G LTE hot spot) have a single-band router, explained Colin Bird-Martinez, a senior tech analyst at IHS Markit. And just like good Wi-Fi at home needs a dual-band router — one for phones and laptops, the other to stream Netflix — any car with wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto needs unique dual-band hardware, Bird-Martinez said.

Another requirement? An in-vehicle GPS receiver, which most cars package with in-dash navigation. Even if you seldom use the car’s system, any smartphone connected to wireless CarPlay will hitch a ride on its GPS signal. Like the dual-band router, it’s all for the sake of minimizing interference.

“Your phone has a modem, and it also has a Wi-Fi receiver, and it also has GPS — and if you’re connected to Wi-Fi and you’re trying to use GPS at the same time, there can be interference,” Bird-Martinez said. “If you’re using wireless [CarPlay], you must have a navigation system in your car.”

For similar reasons, don’t expect automakers to enable conventional Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to work wirelessly down the road. It’s doubtful that many of them, if any at all, have the right hardware.
Thanks for this info. I suspected as much that in vehicle Wi-Fi was required. Good to know since unless an owner has it activated and paid for that, then the desired results would not be obtained. So another monthly fee just for in vehicle Wi-Fi.

Reactions: fee5fofum

·
Super Moderator
22,826 Posts
... So another monthly fee just for in vehicle Wi-Fi.
All of those extraneous fees could (should) be incorporated in the 'new car' purchase price for the term of original ownership. I think it's an insult to pay such a high price for a new vehicle and have to buy subscriptions after one year or so of ownership.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for this info. I suspected as much that in vehicle Wi-Fi was required. Good to know since unless an owner has it activated and paid for that, then the desired results would not be obtained. So another monthly fee just for in vehicle Wi-Fi.
You would think. Read this, in why you can not get wireless Andriod Auto and Apple Carplay in 2020 and later GM vehicles

·
Registered
2020 Acadia Denali, Ultimate Package, Technology Package, Towing Package, White Frist Tricoat
17 Posts
How Does the Connection Work?
The connection needs in-vehicle Wi-Fi, as Bluetooth alone isn’t robust enough. The latter enables phone calls or streaming music, but it ultimately supports relatively little data. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto need a hardier connection — the impetus behind a physical cable in the first place, which both systems required at inception. A Wi-Fi connection to the multimedia system through an in-vehicle router accommodates more data. It’s the “only wireless protocol that has enough bandwidth to support phone mirroring,” explained David Amodeo, J.D. Power’s director of global automotive.

The downside of such a data-intensive connection? It kills your battery. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can exact such a heavy drain that we’ve observed phones tethered to older-generation USB ports lose their battery charge while using the systems, so robust charging sources are a must. Wireless charging pads have answered the call — a feature that’s proliferated across the industry, especially in cars with wireless Apple CarPlay.

If My Car Already Has Wi-Fi, Could I Get Wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?
That’s unlikely because it isn’t that simple. Almost all cars with in-vehicle Wi-Fi (think GM’s built-in 4G LTE hot spot) have a single-band router, explained Colin Bird-Martinez, a senior tech analyst at IHS Markit. And just like good Wi-Fi at home needs a dual-band router — one for phones and laptops, the other to stream Netflix — any car with wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto needs unique dual-band hardware, Bird-Martinez said.

Another requirement? An in-vehicle GPS receiver, which most cars package with in-dash navigation. Even if you seldom use the car’s system, any smartphone connected to wireless CarPlay will hitch a ride on its GPS signal. Like the dual-band router, it’s all for the sake of minimizing interference.

“Your phone has a modem, and it also has a Wi-Fi receiver, and it also has GPS — and if you’re connected to Wi-Fi and you’re trying to use GPS at the same time, there can be interference,” Bird-Martinez said. “If you’re using wireless [CarPlay], you must have a navigation system in your car.”

For similar reasons, don’t expect automakers to enable conventional Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to work wirelessly down the road. It’s doubtful that many of them, if any at all, have the right hardware.
Let me see if I understand correctly Since my 2020 Acadia Denali has a GPS, Wi-Fi and (apparently) a modem, an upgrade to wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay would be viable, right?

·
Registered
2020 Acadia Denali, Ultimate Package, Technology Package, Towing Package, White Frist Tricoat
17 Posts
You would think. Read this, in why you can not get wireless Andriod Auto and Apple Carplay in 2020 and later GM vehicles
"This does not mean the job can not be done. It simply means that The General does not appear to be interested in doing it. Producers of several aftermarket solutions claim that they can offer wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay on GM models which do not have the new cable-free functionality, and we’ll cover those at a later time."

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have yet to see a cell phone navigation setup that I did not think was dangerous. Too small of a screen and you have to take your eyes too far off the road to see them.

I use a Garmin in addition to my vehicle nav function. I can place it on the extreme left of the dash where it does not interfere with vision and is also convenient for minimum amount of eye movement to view.

I have lifetime updates and with my system feel that it has much better voice command system.

George

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have yet to see a cell phone navigation setup that I did not think was dangerous. Too small of a screen and you have to take your eyes too far off the road to see them.

I use a Garmin in addition to my vehicle nav function. I can place it on the extreme left of the dash where it does not interfere with vision and is also convenient for minimum amount of eye movement to view.

I have lifetime updates and with my system feel that it has much better voice command system.

George
Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, but a cell thru android auto using Google maps is a cell phone nav setup. Works thru the factory screen, voice command...

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, but a cell thru android auto using Google maps is a cell phone nav setup. Works thru the factory screen, voice command...
George has an older Acadia that I don't believe is Android Auto capable. If he has not seen it in action, he really doesn't have an appreciation for seeing how Google Maps or Waze can be displayed on his head unit screen.

I used Waze several times when my '18's factory nav did not know my son's address in Virginia. Worked quite nicely.

·
Super Moderator
22,826 Posts
... he really doesn't have an appreciation for seeing how Google Maps or Waze can be displayed on his head unit screen.
Or that some vehicles also have a secondary NAV display in the instrument panel along with the speedometer, tach, and gauges.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I did not realize you couldl use the factory screen. How is this possible if it was not designed so from the start?

gmc

·
Super Moderator
22,826 Posts
I did not realize you could use the factory screen. How is this possible if it was not designed so from the start?
It's now possible to get an aftermarket head unit for your Acadia which has those capabilities.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After scouring the Internet for information, it appears that (as of now) the only way to "enable" wireless Android Auto on a vehicle that does not natively support it is through a dongle. Its kind of a half baked solution, but its also the only one out there. There are a few options. Here's one: Carsifi: Wireless Android Auto Adapter | Indiegogo

21 - 34 of 34 Posts