GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question, I got my Acadia last year and I've been wondering why my Truck doesn't have the original Nav system. Just shows the Icon , doesn't function , any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If your SLE is like my SLE, Nav isn't included. Use Google Maps on Android Auto with your cell...

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Maybe they bit the Apple and have an iPhone, then they'd have to use Apple Maps on CarPlay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your SLE is like my SLE, Nav isn't included. Use Google Maps on Android Auto with your cell...
Been using my iPhone with car play Google maps but I also heard waze is better! It's a shame that the SLE didn't come with Navigation, and it costs $1,000 to install it!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Been using my iPhone with car play Google maps but I also heard waze is better! It's a shame that the SLE didn't come with Navigation, and it costs $1,000 to install it!
Curious, what makes Waze better? Google Maps on my car is extremely clear and defined (much better than my wife's Nissan Roque), lots of options for viewing, automatic map updates, etc.
I'm happy with using my cell, with how many complaints I hear from people regarding factory Nav map updates.
Only improvement I'd appreciate is being able to do so wireless, but no big deal.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Only improvement I'd appreciate is being able to do so wireless, but no big deal.
Upgrade to an Android 10 phone and you can do it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Upgrade to an Android 10 phone and you can do it.
Google Maps wireless? How?
I thought only the 2020 and up Acadia was able to do so? Just checked my cell, it's Android 11 software (Samsung S10).
I'd even be more than happy using a wireless charging pad for that part (half of my charging comes from when I drive to and from work).

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Google Maps wireless? How?
I thought only the 2020 and up Acadia was able to do so? Just checked my cell, it's Android 11 software (Samsung S10).
Maybe you have to update the app on the Acadia, too. :unsure: I can't do anything wirelessly with Android Auto on the XT5 without an Android updated phone.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Maybe you have to update the app on the Acadia, too. :unsure: I can't do anything wirelessly with Android Auto on the XT5 without an Android updated phone.
From what I can find, 2021 was the first year GMC included wireless Android Auto. So wired I think is it...

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
From what I can find, 2021 was the first year GMC included wireless Android Auto. So wired I think is it...
I guess that's one of the differences between Cadillac's Cue system and GMC's Infotainment.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I guess that's one of the differences between Cadillac's Cue system and GMC's Infotainment.
What's the difference?
The GM Authority site report I found said no GM products offered wireless Android Auto in any vehicle prior to 2020 or 2021. Cadillac offered this service in vehicles prior to 2020 models?

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
What's the difference?
Cadillac offered this service in vehicles prior to 2020 models?
I don't know and frankly IDGAF!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I don't know and frankly IDGAF!
...well pretty sure this thread is about people who do GAF about their Acadia.
Back to the subject, Hothead; I have read that updates may come about allowing Wi-Fi with Android Auto. About as far as I have researched, as I am mostly fine with wired.

Reactions: Hothead

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Back to the subject, Hothead; I have read that updates may come about allowing Wi-Fi with Android Auto. About as far as I have researched, as I am mostly fine with wired.
That may only affect newer versions of the Android Auto app. Like many other things, it may not be backward compatible with older vehicles. I can see it eliminating the need to use a vehicle's WiFi hotspot, or - just maybe - forcing one to use it.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
...well pretty sure this thread is about people who do GAF about their Acadia.
Cadillac went through similar upgrades in their 2020 XT5 refresh.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's the difference?
The GM Authority site report I found said no GM products offered wireless Android Auto in any vehicle prior to 2020 or 2021. Cadillac offered this service in vehicles prior to 2020 models?
The 2021 XT5 will gain wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto functionality. It was not part of the 2020 Cadillac XT5 refresh.

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
The 2021 XT5 will gain wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto functionality. It was not part of the 2020 Cadillac XT5 refresh.
Interesting. I read that my XT5 will work wirelessly only if I have Android 10 or above. I've had no reason to research anything about Apple because I don't have anything Apple.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How Does the Connection Work?
The connection needs in-vehicle Wi-Fi, as Bluetooth alone isn’t robust enough. The latter enables phone calls or streaming music, but it ultimately supports relatively little data. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto need a hardier connection — the impetus behind a physical cable in the first place, which both systems required at inception. A Wi-Fi connection to the multimedia system through an in-vehicle router accommodates more data. It’s the “only wireless protocol that has enough bandwidth to support phone mirroring,” explained David Amodeo, J.D. Power’s director of global automotive.

The downside of such a data-intensive connection? It kills your battery. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can exact such a heavy drain that we’ve observed phones tethered to older-generation USB ports lose their battery charge while using the systems, so robust charging sources are a must. Wireless charging pads have answered the call — a feature that’s proliferated across the industry, especially in cars with wireless Apple CarPlay.

If My Car Already Has Wi-Fi, Could I Get Wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?
That’s unlikely because it isn’t that simple. Almost all cars with in-vehicle Wi-Fi (think GM’s built-in 4G LTE hot spot) have a single-band router, explained Colin Bird-Martinez, a senior tech analyst at IHS Markit. And just like good Wi-Fi at home needs a dual-band router — one for phones and laptops, the other to stream Netflix — any car with wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto needs unique dual-band hardware, Bird-Martinez said.

Another requirement? An in-vehicle GPS receiver, which most cars package with in-dash navigation. Even if you seldom use the car’s system, any smartphone connected to wireless CarPlay will hitch a ride on its GPS signal. Like the dual-band router, it’s all for the sake of minimizing interference.

“Your phone has a modem, and it also has a Wi-Fi receiver, and it also has GPS — and if you’re connected to Wi-Fi and you’re trying to use GPS at the same time, there can be interference,” Bird-Martinez said. “If you’re using wireless [CarPlay], you must have a navigation system in your car.”

For similar reasons, don’t expect automakers to enable conventional Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to work wirelessly down the road. It’s doubtful that many of them, if any at all, have the right hardware.

Reactions: Grantv
1 - 20 of 34 Posts