GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I've actually heard that before. It has something to do with the plastics that are used inside the vehicles I believe. (of course, I haven't clicked on the link yet to read it.)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Web Raven said:
I've actually heard that before. It has something to do with the plastics that are used inside the vehicles I believe. (of course, I haven't clicked on the link yet to read it.)
You are correct

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Reason # 165 to buy a Challenger:
"This information is meaningless, however, because the entire study was poorly designed and executed," said Max Gates, Chrysler's safety and regulatory communications spokesperson.

Basically, Gates said, the study did not measure chemicals in the air of the passenger compartments tested[/color]. "Rather, the test only determined the compounds contained in the materials used to assemble the vehicle. There is no way to determine how much, if any, of those compounds becomes airborne."

Gates called the Ecology Center's annual report a "scare tactic," which amounts to alarming the public "with no data to support any claims of risk."

You go Gates!

Also liked this comment:
Slow news day. Stupid, stupid, stupid. What ignorant college or university bolstered their funding with the proceeds of the grant for this study[/color]? Stop boring us with crap.

Emphasis added![/color]

Let's see, according to pop culture science, the following can be toxic:
Coffee
Oatmeal
Second hand smoke
Red meat
Fast food....

Oh, and R12 freon destroyed part of the ozone.

It is only by the grace of God I've lived as long as I have. Probably due to the fact I don't drink coffee and rarely buy a new car. :p

BTW, the new car smell is certainly toxic to my wallet!

Segue...
I like how each of my cars has a unique smell. Even one of my kids commented on that about the Corvair, and the '91 Daytona I just bought smells like the '87 I used to own.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i havent heard of the toxic smell before. it has to be bad for me since we are told that what ever we like is bad for us. that smell is awesome.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I looked up the Acadia at http://www.healthycar.org and based on the low level of Toxins I am not worried at all. In reality, there are only a few new cars made today that have levels high enough to be concerned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That healthy car site seems to be rather interesting. For instance I looked at a 2008 Tahoe and a 2008 Suburban. These 2 vehicles are identical in every respect except for length. Same interior parts, same layout, same seats, etc etc. You'd think the Tahoe would have less, considering it has less interior space for "toxic" materials to be installed. Yet the smaller Tahoe was a 2.6 on their scale and the Suburban was a 1.8 on their scale. Makes you wonder if they know what they are doing, doesn't it? Anyway, just a random observance that made me wonder.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
rexster said:
There's nothing like the smell of acetone and plastic in a new car...........
Rex
:ditto: :hyper:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Narg said:
That healthy car site seems to be rather interesting. For instance I looked at a 2008 Tahoe and a 2008 Suburban. These 2 vehicles are identical in every respect except for length. Same interior parts, same layout, same seats, etc etc. You'd think the Tahoe would have less, considering it has less interior space for "toxic" materials to be installed. Yet the smaller Tahoe was a 2.6 on their scale and the Suburban was a 1.8 on their scale. Makes you wonder if they know what they are doing, doesn't it? Anyway, just a random observance that made me wonder.
+1:
The 2006 Charger is 2.2, while the same car in 2008 is 1.0? It is even listed in different classes (2006= family sedan, 2008= large sedan) LOL- it's the SAME CAR!
The "2008" Journey (doesn't exist- new for 2009) is .9, while the 2007 Durango is 2.8, the 2007 Nitro is 1.8 and the same vehicle in 2008 is .9.

I suspect they know exactly what they are doing- undoubtedly this was financed with a Government grant, what a great job:
Go "test" most new cars on the market.
Pull a number out of the air (or perhaps your posterior ;)).
Pay your "staff" (yourself) and "consultants" (your family/friends).

Man, I wish I had thought of this! Then again, I'd have to limit my testing to the Corvette, Viper, Challenger, etc.

:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Pull a number out of the air (or perhaps your posterior ;)).
LOL, they did pull it out of the air... But what I figure is that these gases dissipate with time. So, it seems reasonable that the readings could vary quite a bit by testing a 1 week old vehicle compared to a 1 month old vehicle. I figure that's the reason for the bad data.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Good thing they don't combine both testing methods after a double cheese nacho and double onions on your chili dog* meal around here! :fart:

* Watch the Home Improvement episode scene where Tim returns home after taking the boys to a demolition derby & you'll appreciate this. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think their data is highly suspect as well. There are two 2007 BMW 335's listed there whose only difference is that one is AWD and the other RWD and one's rating is 1.3 while the other is 3.2. That's a lot of sample variability in my book when by their own evauation one is of medium concern and the other is low. Apparently the driver who consumed the double onion chili dog was driving the latter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm still waiting for them to give us the option of what smell we would like..........

Wall Street Option --- musty money smell
Farmer John Option --- fresh baled hay
Farmer John Deluxe Option --- manure on your shoe
Stoner Option --- I smell brownies, man!!
Meat Eaters Option --- hot BLT sandwich
Valley Girl Option --- It smells like, well you know, like --- I like it!

Just go ahead and sign me up for the Clean Bathroom Option --- pine forest. :angel:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Narg said:
one had the windows down when delivered and the other didnt. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts