GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a report on the national news that car sales are down 50% due to all that is happening in the world and the state of our economy. I would think that GM will have to offer incentives, rebates, or something new. If sales don't improve, I would also think that GM and other car companies may have to cut prices drastically to move inventory. If they don't, it's over for them. With winter coming, and maybe more bad news with the economy, the price of a new car or Acadia may drop below what even we would think would be an incredible deal. Far below what GMS pricing was during the last two months. Time will tell.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yea I saw the news. All major auto companies have reported sales dropping from 2008 levels.

When comparing to 2008 levels every major car mfg fell with GMC haveing the smaller decline.

284,300 GM -16%
144,260 Toyota -30%
116,734 Ford-34%
107,349 Chrysler -33%
86,629 Honda -21%

Things bode well for future Acadia incetives :blob: but not for the auto industry and our overall economy.

source : http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f78/gm-september-2008-sales-69784/

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
According to last night's local TV news, 3 GM dealerships went out of business and closed their doors here in the SF Bay Area yesterday. I didn't order my Acadia here in CA, so is it my fault?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Definitely not, Bobbo. If a dealer can maintain good reputation in the community they should be able to survive and prosper due to repeat and word of mouth business as well as run off stuff like used car sales. If they use unethical tactics, they may succeed in the short run, but the long term consequences can be what has happened there.

Yet more gloom & doom on the economic front.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I didn't order my Acadia here in CA, so is it my fault?
I should have put a smilie face after that last sentence in my previous post. I was just kidding.

But I sure hope the dealership where I did place my order, in OR, doesn't go out of business. Now, that would be really awful and would project enormous gloom into my situation.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Definitely not, Bobbo. If a dealer can maintain good reputation in the community they should be able to survive and prosper due to repeat and word of mouth business as well as run off stuff like used car sales. If they use unethical tactics, they may succeed in the short run, but the long term consequences can be what has happened there.
We had a major Chevy chain shut down last week and it was partly due to this. Our friend at the BBB said that it had the most complaints of any other car dealership in the state. GM even pulled it's lending capabilities which ended up being the nail in the coffin.

I know everyone talks about the differences in American vs. other cars. I really think it has alot to do with the dealers and how you're treated more that the quaility of cars. My Volvo was in the shop at least two months by the time it was two. My Acadia has been in for four problems. The difference, even though the Volvo dealer is farther than the GM, I was always happier picking up my car. I would drop it off in the morning and get a loaner and go. They would keep the car until they found the problem. They would have the mechanics drive it home and see if they could replicate intermittant problems. If they couldn't, at least you feel they tried. At the GM dealer it is opposite. You have to be picked up or wait. So you are already a little put out. Then they keep the car for hours and usually find nothing. I wrote down milage when I dropped it off for the steering noise, they drove it basically into the garage and said they couldn't hear it.

Now I know GM is alot bigger than Volvo and they don't have they time to spend like Volvo, but I think customer care has alot to do with the negative thoughts on GM. I even think if they gave loaners, for the day, it would help. Plus it is a good way to get your new cars out there. Again, word of mouth. We used to laugh at all the problems with the Volvo (you name it, this car had it), I get mad when I even have a minor one with GM because I know my day is ruined.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts