GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our new acadia this weekend. We have been looking for about a year and with the rebates and GM pricing I had no more excuses for the wife. We got a 08 slt2. The build date is 7/08. Does anyone know when the last 08 are made and the first 09 are made? This site has been very helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
GTO, From what I gather reading this board and via other sources, it believe that 2008 production did cease in the beginning of July and 2009 production commenced on July 21st. So yours was perhaps among the last of the 08's to be produced. Good luck with it, my friend! Another nice thing with the 08 is that you get the two extra cup holders and the DC recepticle outlet in the center console, which apparently were deleted in the 09's :-\. I am just awaiting a confirmation date for the 5200lb towing capacity to order mine. White diamond/Brick.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Welcome to Acadia ownership and the site. The last of the 08's were supposed to be built during the week of July 14th. alphadog1 has the correct date for the first 09's. With the minor changes to the 09s there wasn't really any lag time for the switchover.

·
Registered
113 Posts
alphadog1 I read an article in Car & Driver or it was Road and Track about the new Chevy Traverse. It stated in that article that it has a 5200lb towing capacity.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, I have also heard that, but I have also heard the 4500lb number quoted as well for the Traverse. But the latest on the Acadia, is that the engineers have not yet "validated" the higher towing limit, but they are close. And after the results are in, they will implement the stronger hitch into production. I just want to be 100% sure that when my newly ordered vehicle comes in, it has the higher towing capacity. I'm getting excited though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
alphadog1 said:
Yeah, I have also heard that, but I have also heard the 4500lb number quoted as well for the Traverse. But the latest on the Acadia, is that the engineers have not yet "validated" the higher towing limit, but they are close. And after the results are in, they will implement the stronger hitch into production. I just want to be 100% sure that when my newly ordered vehicle comes in, it has the higher towing capacity. I'm getting excited though.
Supposedly once the new hitch is certified, the Traverse will have 200 or 300 more pounds rating than the other three Lambdas (5200 lbs) because the Traverse grille lets in more air and thus is slightly better at keeping the engine and transmission cooler from overheating. Certification ETA supposedly is October.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can you provide the source of that info plz.....I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I can't find the post :confused:, but just the other day
somene posted a statement from GM that the towing rating would not go up for the traverse's
siblings. The traverse was the only one to get that high (5200 lbs) of a rating.

Can some else find that post?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
I can't find the post :confused:, but just the other day
somene posted a statement from GM that the towing rating would not go up for the traverse's
siblings. The traverse was the only one to get that high (5200 lbs) of a rating.

Can some else find that post?
Try this one, towards the bottom posted by smooth

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4119.0

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's it, thanks bonk!

This was posted by Smooth:

I received the following reply from GMC today via email in response to my question about the possiblility of raising the tow limits of the Acadia. Here is their reply - which I found interesting!

"Currently, we do not have plans to modify the towing capacity of the 2009 Acadia to 5,200 pounds from the standard 4,500 pounds. The 5,200 pound rating is achieved only on the all-new 2009 Traverse due to additional cooling capacity, additional structure to the bumper, and a modified tow hitch to facilitate the increased towing. It may be possible to change the configuration of the Acadia in the future to accommodate for addition towing capacity; however, at this time we do not have any plans to change the vehicle for that purpose. "

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
912 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's it, thanks bonk!

This was posted by Smooth:

I received the following reply from GMC today via email in response to my question about the possiblility of raising the tow limits of the Acadia. Here is their reply - which I found interesting!

"Currently, we do not have plans to modify the towing capacity of the 2009 Acadia to 5,200 pounds from the standard 4,500 pounds. The 5,200 pound rating is achieved only on the all-new 2009 Traverse due to additional cooling capacity, additional structure to the bumper, and a modified tow hitch to facilitate the increased towing. It may be possible to change the configuration of the Acadia in the future to accommodate for addition towing capacity; however, at this time we do not have any plans to change the vehicle for that purpose. "

Smooth <><[/color]
I posted in teh other thread also and posted what was on GM Canada's web site in regards to towing capacity on teh 09 Acadia and according to their release it is rated for 5200 LBS I even provided the GM Canada link to the info LOL..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
DSNY FN said:
I posted in teh other thread also and posted what was on GM Canada's web site in regards to towing capacity on teh 09 Acadia and according to their release it is rated for 5200 LBS I even provided the GM Canada link to the info LOL..
My Bad ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Max towing capacity (kg / lb):
2358 / 5200

GCWR (kg / lb):
4309 / 9500 (FWD)
4400 / 9700 (AWD)

these figures don't seem consistant.
Wouldn't the GCWR have to be

10200 lbs (FWD)
10400 lbs (AWD)

in order to have 5200 lbs towing cap.?

·
Registered
156 Posts
News Flash**Smooth, we have a discrepancy. I just got off the phone with Randy Fox, GMC communications, who stated that they are still planning to increase the towing capacity on the Acadia, and outlook, but not the Enclave. He said he thinks it will be mid- September time frame when the validation is complete. Who did your e-mail come from and perhaps we can try to make sense of all this.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
DSNY FN said:
My Bad ;)
No worries I just think it is fuuny they are vehemently saying no it isn't the case when they have it in an official GM release that it is actually 5200LBS now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
One more update. Jim Burke also confirmed via phone this morning that YES they are still increasing the towing capacity of the Acadia. That's what I got. Take care all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts