GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I am new Acadia owner, a 2007 SLE with 20,000 miles on it. I've checked out this site for a couple days now and found some very useful info here! Here are some questions I have:

1. Has anyone tried a K&N air filter with good results in the Acadia?

2. How can I find out if the most recent transmission flash was done to this vehicle?

3. Since I bought the vehicle used, is there anyway I can register the VIN with GM so I am now recognized as the owner and recieve any service notices and such?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Your GMC dealer should be able to enter your vin number in to his computer and see if the flash has been done. As far as the K&N filter, I doubt the results would be that impressive. A less restrictive air filter is most beneficial in the upper rpm ranges of the engine, but how often do you actually rev your engine to 5000 or more rpm. What the engine needs is more low end torque which a K&N is not going to help much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was able to find a kind, helpful member of the forum named Geohawk who was nice enough to look up my VIN and find out if the tranny update had been done. He also was able to get a "build sheet" for me to I could see details as to options, etc. I don't want to volunteer for him, but maybe someone can do that for you, too.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
aKadia said:
Hello to all, I am new Acadia owner, a 2007 SLE with 20,000 miles on it. I've checked out this site for a couple days now and found some very useful info here! Here are some questions I have:

1. Has anyone tried a K&N air filter with good results in the Acadia?

2. How can I find out if the most recent transmission flash was done to this vehicle?

3. Since I bought the vehicle used, is there anyway I can register the VIN with GM so I am now recognized as the owner and recieve any service notices and such?

Thanks in advance!
Craig is right, your dealer can tell you if the flash has been done, I can do it as well if that would be easier. I would just need the last 8 digits of your VIN number.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just put the K&N in my wifes Acadia yesterday...started giving the car problems. The dealership said that the manual states not to use K&N filters, said it flashed the Mass Airflow Sensor was blown. I contacted K&N, they want the sensor, but they wont give it to me since it was a warranted replacement. The techs at K&N argue it's not the filter....GM says it is...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I've had one in my car for over a year now. No issues!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's my point, I run K&N in all my cars...always have...I think it's just an excuse from the dealership. They are telling me that the service manual says not to use K&N on this motor.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Just called my service manager and yes the service manual says no K&N, but he will ignore that mine is in there! So once again it all depends on your servicedepartment/dealership!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The dealer will of course argue if there is a problem with the system that has an aftermarket part and the aftermarket part manufacturer will say "It is not our fault". If you buy it for performance or fuel mileage gains then you'll probably be disappointed. There is usually a trade off with aftermarket parts since I'm sure if the manufacturer could gain 10-20hp and 1-2 mpg by changing something they would. For some reason they decided it was not worth the price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have always put K&N air filters in my cars just for the long term cost saving mainly. 4 weeks ago I put one in the Acadia finally and I plan on putting the stock filter back in to check something.

Ever since I put the K&N in the Acadia I get 2-3 mpg worse in the city and highway. Before the K&N we saw 15-17mpg in city and 22-25 HWY. For the last 4 weeks we have been getting 12-13 mpg city and 20-21 mpg HWY. Our driving habiits have not changed. After I swap back to the stock filter I'kl post an update and see if my MPG went back up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I installed a K&N air filter as soon as I bought my Acadia. Took it out on a trip with about 1000 miles on it and was getting 23 MPG.
I have been using K&N air filters for the past 8 years and have always seen an increase in mileage.
I can't say I noticed the disclaimer for the K&N filter in the manual, but I was going to use it anyhow!
Keep us informed on what you find, should be interesting.
By the way, was the filter seated properly? If it isn't, that could be your problem. Only guessing!
Keep it under 90, folks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey sube,

Yea I checked the filter once by completely removing it and reinstalling it with no change.

I have now gone 3 gas tanks with a new factory filter in there and my city milage is back up to 15-17 mpg. I have not done a high way trip yet but there definitely is a difference. The is the first car I have had were I got worse milage with the K&N. Like you, I have always put them in all my cars. Even our xB has one in it. I do it mainly from a cost standpoint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts