GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
If anyone has anything they think would help please feel free to say something!
Let me ask you this. How's the paint? What condition is the interior in? How's it running? I'm in your corner with wanting to do mods but if the foundation is trash, so too is the project. Basic 3 beginner mods: air in, air out, computer reprogram. But only do that if your foundation is good.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Let me ask you this. How's the paint? What condition is the interior in? How's it running? I'm in your corner with wanting to do mods but if the foundation is trash, so too is the project. Basic 3 beginner mods: air in, air out, computer reprogram. But only do that if your foundation is good.
The OP's probably not coming back after all the bickering. LOL
The exhaust I'm pretty sure is different (true duals) on the V6 LGX Camaro, and it has 25HP more. On that note... it probably has to do with 2 things, maybe 3.
1 - The exhaust; one could run duals if the Camaro does and benefits from it (pretty sure it does x 2)
2 - Intake; the Camaro probably has a better/larger cold air intake. This is NOT to say the Acadia intake is bad, as it is cold air (like almost all factory intakes nowadays) and most aftermarket units are not (IOW stock is likely better than most aftermarket)
3 - A tune to make this all work (good reminder wrekliss)
If you do get 25HP from all this, will you feel it? Perhaps.
Are the items listed at the start worth anything? Probably not, sorry OP.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think they should start with fixing appearance and interior first. Then protect it with a paint correction, polish, paint protection film and then ceramic coating. Even if your totally stock, a clean, shiny, mirror finish paint job will make you stand out. And those are mods you will 100% feel when you get complimented.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I'm good with the ~ 6.5 seconds (give or take) zero to sixty time of the stock 2019 SLT-1 FWD we have. Agree, appearance is always key. Else things can start to look and maybe sound like a hot rod junker very quickly.
In perspective . . compared to the approximate 40 cars, trucks, minivans and SUVs we've owned over the years . . .. it's all good.
That said. . certainly can understand better performance in any way.
If I were to improve anything over stock I think more sway bar control would do nicely.
And. . . .tires in a year or so, unless I "tire" of them. ;)
The Continentals seem to ride ok, but grip isn't the best nor handling.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Any rich schmuck can buy the most expensive and fastest vehicle available but he can still lose to a teenager in a 91 civic with a big turbo kit who spent a mere 5 grand to beat your 60,000 car. All because he knew how to make power, not how to buy it.
I've been building/racing drag cars and drag bike since 1970. I know how to make horsepower. I learned a long time ago that you need to start with a solid base for the project.

Pretty much any doofus with a $15 Harbor Freight tool kit can buy a raggedy old civic, add a big butt turbo with the obligatory fart muffler and maybe get a couple of runs out of it before it self destructs. It is however a lot of great laughs to see the aftermath when that destruction occurs.

You're a bit condescending to those who have a different viewpoint than you is my point.
You view it as a bit condescending, I just view it as expressing a different opinion.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You view it as a bit condescending, I just view it as expressing a different opinion.
Calling people foolish is condescending, look it up. Try looking up manners at the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wow, that was a lot.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts on the matter, intense opinions and all. Cars are a thing of passion for me, and clearly y’all too so no worries about things getting heated @Granttv . I appreciate your solid advice on what can be done to get that little boost out of it, and honestly something in that range would be enough to keep me content. Do you know of a tuner brand/ tune that work well? As far as exhaust goes that’s something I’m already cooking up plans to work on, as I was always told free breathing + free exhale = free power.
Regarding the condition of the car, it’s in basically new condition. The paint is essentially new, the frame is spotless, and the engine is solid as a rock (horray for the south).
I appreciate everyones thoughts and help! If your interested I’ll update y’all on progress through.

V/R
Nighthunter

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you are serious about going forward, I'd recommend visiting a GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado truck forum where the same motors are used and see what they have done. I am not sending you away to go away, but to find out what you need. Nobody here AFAIK has modified anything on their motor apart from maybe a 1-2 time visitor. One guy installed an open K&N to which a few of us replied it was probably a step back. Somebody once recommended what I just did and the questioner got upset to send him away instead of helping him here. There are no answers here to be had...
I'd say go to a car forum (Camaro mainly), but the mods on those will likely be more substantial (loud exhausts, forced induction, etc.). I think you might find answers more in line with what you want on a truck forum. I'm semi-interested in a nicer sounding exhaust, but something that is only a bit louder and doesn't sound crappy. The factory power in all honesty is fine with me.
If you do find anything please post back.

·
Super Moderator
19,649 Posts
One of the Cadillac CTS forums might be another good place to look. Lots of CTS drivers are searching for extra performance from GM's V6.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Suffice it to say, the 3.6 motor LLT was put into a lot of vehicles. And plenty were purchased by owners with plans to modify them while saving on insurance rates and initial investment costs. To help you out, all of the below vehicles came equipped with that motor. I would research each vehicle forum and see what others have done. Learn from their mistakes so you can get your build right. Also, it wouldn't hurt to give a call to some well known places to see what they offer. Plenty of people sell parts for the Acadia, as long as its older than 2019. Us 2020 guys ain't got much to choose from. For reference, the Camaro from 2016 on got the LGX motor. Had you got a '17, you would have received this motor instead of the weaker LLT making only 288hp.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've noticed before the dual exhaust offers 7HP more on models stating so. Your graph (and others similar I've seen) do make one wonder where the larger HP difference is from when using the "same" motor. Here is a similar snapshot for the LGX motor, HP ranges from 308 to 335, a pretty substantial jump. Interesting to note that the higher HP vehicles are all at higher RPM's, so is that exhaust, tuning...?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Intake and exhaust make up some of it but tuning is the greatest change when going from one vehicle to another. This is done to keep the vehicle competitive while allowing GM to use the same motor. Think back to the LS1 days when in the Corvette it made 345 but was rated at 305 in the f-body. However, once they started hitting the dyno, both the C5 AND the f-body dynoed between 290-305. Which means, they made no change whatsoever but "rated" it lower to keep their bread and butter car at the top. The same may be true with the 3.6 motor. Would have to dyno every vehicle its been in and compare.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Agree completely on the potential power being either the same for all, I'd guess it's not but with only minor differences (exhaust, tune).

·
Registered
54 Posts
With the camaro making 335hp, a simple tune could dial that back to 310 with no other changes. An aftermarket tuner could give you that back, and then some.
Take the Civic Type R motor, 2.0 turbo making 306hp but with a tune change, its in the Accord making 252. Same everything but different tune. And that accord rips!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
There are always ways to get a little more power "on the cheap". But it isn't always trouble free or offer durability.
For more kick the pants, there is always a Harley or a Ducati Diavel 1260.
0-60 in 2.5 seconds will set a persons eyeballs back in their sockets. :D

Ducati Diavel 1260.jpg

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
With the camaro making 335hp, a simple tune could dial that back to 310 with no other changes. An aftermarket tuner could give you that back, and then some.
To what end? I can break the tires loose on my '18 with very little effort. What's the point of extra horsepower if you can't get that power to the ground? All you really get is some bragging rights that your Acadia is faster than my Acadia.

More to the Camaro than just the tune. Camaro has a better flowing exhaust system which contributes to some of the extra HP.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Well . . . can always get AWD and stickier tires.
And then replace them every 5K to 10K miles.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
There are always ways to get a little more power "on the cheap". But it isn't always trouble free or offer durability.
For more kick the pants, there is always a Harley or a Ducati Diavel 1260.
0-60 in 2.5 seconds will set a persons eyeballs back in their sockets. :D

View attachment 9630
Not to mention the Diavel does sub 11 second quarter miles at near 135 mph. Not much more exhilarating than being on 2 wheels at those speeds.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts