GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Brand new Acadia owner here, just got a 2015 SLE edition. I'm a young guy and work as a mechanic currently, and am not quite ready to settle for driving a family wagon or something not as fun/ aggressive as my old truck. I'm looking to get a little more stance/ power out of the car to make it more livable for me. I absolutely love the SUV, just I'm not willing to drive it stock.

Stuff already found:
JET MAF
K&N filter
Ported Throttle Body
Spacer
Suspension leveling kit
NP Boosted Coils/E3 Plugs

If anyone has anything they think would help please feel free to say something!
Note: I know some people are purists and advocate for keeping things stock, and I fully respect that but its just not what I subscribe to.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm a tinkerer as well, but I honestly don't think those items will make a noticable power increase. Enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello all,
Brand new Acadia owner here, just got a 2015 SLE edition. I'm a young guy and work as a mechanic currently, and am not quite ready to settle for driving a family wagon or something not as fun/ aggressive as my old truck. I'm looking to get a little more stance/ power out of the car to make it more livable for me. I absolutely love the SUV, just I'm not willing to drive it stock.

Stuff already found:
JET MAF
K&N filter
Ported Throttle Body
Spacer
Suspension leveling kit
NP Boosted Coils/E3 Plugs

If anyone has anything they think would help please feel free to say something!
Note: I know some people are purists and advocate for keeping things stock, and I fully respect that but its just not what I subscribe to.
Welcome. .. but agree with Grantv above.

Some have used the devices you listed and they provide no real power gains.
In fact, some may produce fail codes for the engine computer and also may cause problems.

The truth is. . these newer engines with Gasoline Direct Injection are set up and designed to work best with the factory supplied components.
Some have used aftermarket "tuning" programs that are flashed to the vehicle ECM, but again, not recommended and will void the power train warranty as most of the devices you listed will also.
They will not really provide any real power gains in spite of what the makers claims are.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Agree with the others. If you are a tech then you should know that none of what you have found offers any real performance increase or in any way increases the fun factor of an Acadia.

You will find that most everyone here is content to drive their Acadia as delivered, probably why there are not any real aftermarket parts.

If it's power you seek, you probably bought the wrong vehicle....track down a Caddy CTS-V wagon.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you like the "utility" of the Suv you have a great vehicle.

If you are looking for performance then you need something like a Porch SUV. There are several performance vehicle makers that make a SUV, but you have to being the $$$$.

George

·
Registered
56 Posts
You want more power? That's just a phone call away. Limited only by your budget. Lingenfelter, Phastek, Vortech, ProCharger, STS Turbo, all are standing by waiting to hear from you. If you got the money, 500+ hp is waiting for YOU. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm confused. You bought a family hauler, literally listed as a wagon for most state titling purposes, and want more acceleration and driving dynamics? Sounds like you should have gotten a used Dodge Durango with the HEMI or a BMW X5 diesel...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am sure he checked those out, as did I. However, Dodge sucks and BMW has the worst reliability of any vehicle out there. The camaro came with this motor, and nobody questions when you supercharge or turbo that. Colorado, same motor, And numerous people make horsepower upgrades for it. Why is the acadia any different? Because you feel that it should be left untouched? That's not fair. If someone buys a vehicle and wants more power, so be it. Why limit their dream because it doesn't agree with how you would treat the vehicle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am sure he checked those out, as did I. However, Dodge sucks and BMW has the worst reliability of any vehicle out there. The camaro came with this motor, and nobody questions when you supercharge or turbo that. Colorado, same motor, And numerous people make horsepower upgrades for it. Why is the acadia any different? Because you feel that it should be left untouched? That's not fair. If someone buys a vehicle and wants more power, so be it. Why limit their dream because it doesn't agree with how you would treat the vehicle?
He can do what he wants with his money. If he wants to drop $5,000+ to turbo-charge a 5 year old vehicle, that's his deal. But I think the others are also doing him a service by letting him know that the parts he already listed will not make any discernable difference.

I'm pointing out that there are other vehicles better-suited to his driving demands with stock equipment, without the headache of aftermarket performance parts.

But hey, cut loose if you want. It's not my cash. Gotta go, I need to get back to putting skid plates on my Yugo.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I agree with you wrekliss, and have no issue with wanting more power from an SUV (plenty of people after all buy SRT SUV's, etc. mod them for more power...). Heck, I'm curious about a nicer sounding exhaust. And I like SUV's, would less understand modding a truck TBH.
The problem is that there are very few Acadia platform specific mods short of much more than the OP indicated they want to spend.
The items he listed are not worth bothering with IOW...
Turbo ($) sure, blower ($) sure that'll kick you in the pants. But then there's the potential of issues caused by the additional power on a vehicle meant for 300HP.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Because only the unwise would foolishly spend money adding mods to a 335 horse v6 RS Camaro. Better bang for the buck is to start with a 455 horse v8 SS or a 650 horse ZL1.

The Camaro is RWD, the Acadia is AWD or FWD, a totally different implementation.

I find it pretty easy to break the tires loose on my '17 Acadia. I could have all the HP in the world but if I can't transfer the power from the flywheel to the ground, it's just a waste of money.

Take the money you would spend on the Acadia and go buy a C4 Corvette. They are at the bottom of their price curve, easy to upgrade and a whole lot more fun to drive.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Because only the unwise would foolishly spend money adding mods to a 335 horse v6 RS Camaro. Better bang for the buck is to start with a 455 horse v8 SS or a 650 horse ZL1.

The Camaro is RWD, the Acadia is AWD or FWD, a totally different implementation.

I find it pretty easy to break the tires loose on my '17 Acadia. I could have all the HP in the world but if I can't transfer the power from the flywheel to the ground, it's just a waste of money.

Take the money you would spend on the Acadia and go buy a C4 Corvette. They are at the bottom of their price curve, easy to upgrade and a whole lot more fun to drive.
Plenty of V6 Camaro owners out there like their cars plenty. Sufficient HP, fun to mod, light weight... nothing wrong with someone buying something with a V6 if that's what they are happy with. Never mind the price of a V8 model compared to a V6. Someone can often come up with a grand to do a mod, compared to a larger sticker price. Do some research, a modern V6 Camaro will easily take your old C4 at 0-60 (quick search shows 5.0 vs. 5.5). Still foolish?
You're right on the drivetrain being totally different; an AWD vehicle offers the possibility of much better traction than either FWD or RWD. There's a reason so many manufacturers offer AWD performance vehicles. Assuming your Acadia is FWD...
As for buying another vehicle, not everyone wants, or has the space or $ for another vehicle. So what do they do? Make what they do have as fun as possible. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What if, and some of you may be old enough to remember, but what if someone buys an Acadia AWD and wants to make a modern day typhoon? Gm makes some of the strongest engines and transmissions around. If your scared to modify, that's your business. But to try to persuade someone not to because of your feelings, that's foolish. Not if you got the front wheel drive model like me, then yeah it's pretty dumb to add more power because it can't transfer the 310 it makes stock without spinning. The mods i would do for more power are an intake, headers, catback, fresh plugs and wires then finish it off with wider wheels and tires. Save up some money then look into the Edelbrock supercharger. That is basically a modern day typhoon. Without the expense of a custom turbo kit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
NOVAcadia; I sort of recall the Typhoon, sort of.
You are correct on the FWD, don't bother adding power to that as it won't go anywhere quicker.
As for 310HP and headers... doesn't the LGX motor have an integrated exhaust manifold in the cylinder head, as in no exhaust manifolds/headers? I honestly don't think any mods short of FI (and I also would choose a blower of the 2) will do anything one can feel in the seat of your pants.
Now, wider tires/wheels, I'd actually like to see that on an Acadia. Was behind a Mercedes AMG SUV yesterday, those wide tires look nice.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Plenty of V6 Camaro owners out there like their cars plenty. Sufficient HP, fun to mod, light weight... nothing wrong with someone buying something with a V6 if that's what they are happy with. Never mind the price of a V8 model compared to a V6. Someone can often come up with a grand to do a mod, compared to a larger sticker price. Do some research, a modern V6 Camaro will easily take your old C4 at 0-60 (quick search shows 5.0 vs. 5.5). Still foolish?
You're right on the drivetrain being totally different; an AWD vehicle offers the possibility of much better traction than either FWD or RWD. There's a reason so many manufacturers offer AWD performance vehicles. Assuming your Acadia is FWD...
As for buying another vehicle, not everyone wants, or has the space or $ for another vehicle. So what do they do? Make what they do have as fun as possible. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm sure a new V6 Camaro can beat my Corvette, that is why there is a warmed over '11 SS Camaro sitting in the driveway next to the Corvette.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I sort of recall the Typhoon, sort of.
doesn't the LGX motor have an integrated exhaust manifold in the cylinder head.
Now, wider tires/wheels, I'd actually like to see that on an Acadia. Was behind a Mercedes AMG SUV yesterday, those wide tires look nice.
4.3L v6, twin turbo, 285hp 350tq, all wheel drive, 3800lbs SUV running 13.90 in the quarter. People thought it was ludicrous back then too, until they drove it.
After careful research, yes, it does. Dammit. But you can still do the catback exhaust. If one isn't made, any exhaust shop will make a custom one for ya.
Had I desired to keep mine I was going to do a 1" lowering spring with 20x10 and 285-45-20 for a serious handling machine! But, with all the issues I have had, it will leave my parking spot to make way for the '21 Acura TLX.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm sure a new V6 Camaro can beat my Corvette, that is why there is a warmed over '11 SS Camaro sitting in the driveway next to the Corvette.
So then it's not foolish to buy a V6 Camaro, yes?
Any more foolish than it would be to buy a C4 and spend money modding it? Just buy a C5?
You're branding people foolish for making different decisions than you... it's not cool.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
So then it's not foolish to buy a V6 Camaro, yes?
Any more foolish than it would be to buy a C4 and spend money modding it? Just buy a C5?
You're branding people foolish for making different decisions than you... it's not cool.
I did not say it was foolish to buy a V6 Camaro. I said it was foolish to spend money on performance upgrades when for a few pennies more you can get a real performance Camaro.

I suggested buying a C4 because they are at the bottom of their price curve, C5's are not. Once they get nearer the bottom of the curve I plan to ad a C5 to the driveway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We talking american pennies here? Because A base camaro starts at 26500, the 1SS goes up to 38500 and the ZL1 is 64,000. Correct me if I am wrong but that Base camaro with the optional V6 and automatic leaves about 10,000 in mods before you get to the ENTRY price of the SS with only 455hp. I am sure you can increase 120hp on that V6 for less than 10k. Hell you can do a twin turbo kit, new wheels and tires, trans upgrades and still have enough leftover for some ppf to keep the paint nice.

Just a little tip Mr Divot and then I will mind my business. Its not what you drive or what motor you have, its what you can do behind the wheel. Any rich schmuck can buy the most expensive and fastest vehicle available but he can still lose to a teenager in a 91 civic with a big turbo kit who spent a mere 5 grand to beat your 60,000 car. All because he knew how to make power, not how to buy it.

Its not the size but how you use it. Small motors are the way to make V8 power. At least until electric becomes mainstream and then its game over.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I did not say it was foolish to buy a V6 Camaro. I said it was foolish to spend money on performance upgrades when for a few pennies more you can get a real performance Camaro.

I suggested buying a C4 because they are at the bottom of their price curve, C5's are not. Once they get nearer the bottom of the curve I plan to ad a C5 to the driveway.
On the Camaro: "...only the unwise would foolishly spend money adding mods to a 335 horse v6 RS Camaro." 335HP is no slouch, plenty for many people, and yet still can tinker if they wish.
On the Corvette: "go buy a C4 Corvette. They are at the bottom of their price curve, easy to upgrade"
On one hand you say don't spend money on a V6 Camaro, yet you also state to buy an easy to upgrade C4 (when a C5 will kill it in every manner). Just buy as V8 Camaro instead of modding a V6? OK, just spend a bit more on a C5 instead of modding a C4.
You're a bit condescending to those who have a different viewpoint than you is my point. The OP came here wanting to mod his Acadia. As much as most mods will do nothing, there's nothing wrong with him wanting to do so.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts