GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2019 Acadia Denali 3.6L in August. Immediately noticed a hesitation in the shifting gears mainly from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Even on the downshift sometimes. It feels like the old manual transmission, everyone in the car gets "leaned" forward and jerked back. The dealer tried to rebuild it with new seals, same problem. Dealer put in a brand new transmission, same problem. I'm ready to return this car. Anyone else with a 2019 or near notice a similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to read about the transmission troubles you're experiencing with your new Acadia.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Bought a new 2019 Acadia Denali 3.6L in August. Immediately noticed a hesitation in the shifting gears mainly from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Even on the downshift sometimes. It feels like the old manual transmission, everyone in the car gets "leaned" forward and jerked back. The dealer tried to rebuild it with new seals, same problem. Dealer put in a brand new transmission, same problem. I'm ready to return this car. Anyone else with a 2019 or near notice a similar problem?
I have an '18 with 18k miles. Have not noticed similar behavior.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow new transmission and same problem? I’ve had trans issues for awhile now with my 2017 Denali. Torque converter replaced and the TCM.. still slams into 3rd and shakes at 45mph. I’m losing faith in the fixes and wondering if a new trans might help.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
"It feels like the old manual transmission, everyone in the car gets "leaned" forward and jerked back. "

You must have ridden with some poor drivers who did not know how to shift. Passengers riding with a good driver would never have experienced those problems.

George

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious; is it the same in 2WD and sport mode? If better in sport, maybe a program mod would help...?
Exactly my first thought too. It is the same unfortunately. Also tried the other settings. The dealer worked with "corporate engineering" and they did update the software as well. Good thought though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"It feels like the old manual transmission, everyone in the car gets "leaned" forward and jerked back. "

You must have ridden with some poor drivers who did not know how to shift. Passengers riding with a good driver would never have experienced those problems.

George
Haha, Ok, George, so I over emphasized the experience. I just wanted folks to get the main idea. Actually a slight lean forward, similar to when the clutch is pressed in, then a hesitation, while the gear is selected, then the feeling of acceleration as the gear is engaged. Wife and both drove manuals for first few cars we had back in day. We weren't Richard Petty but we were pretty smooth :).

·
Registered
13 Posts
2017 Acadia holds RPMs high for a bit too long when shifting from 2-3

Check out this thread. Sounds similar to what you are talking about what others are experiencing. My Acadia is FWD only, based on what I read above yours is AWD. Mine doesn’t shudder but it does hang out there awhile on 2-3 shift.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2017 Acadia holds RPMs high for a bit too long when shifting from 2-3

Check out this thread. Sounds similar to what you are talking about what others are experiencing. My Acadia is FWD only, based on what I read above yours is AWD. Mine doesn’t shudder but it does hang out there awhile on 2-3 shift.
Much appreciated! Agree with you, mine doesn't shudder but it does hang out there awhile on 2-3 shift. Good description.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My new '19 also does have that "delayed 2-3 shift" feeling. Almost like it's not sure if it's going to shift to 3 or 4, and just maybe that is what's happening? Anyone else think/wonder maybe the same? It might be the car shifting straight thru frmo 2nd to 4th on light throttle (likely for gas mileage)? My Z06 manual tranny would force a 1 to 4 shift under light throttle for gas mileage (until I bypassed that with programming). Maybe this is the same.
I've come from well over 20 years of manual tranny's, before that my cars I usually put in shift kits. Would prefer a slightly more positive shift, but it's not super bad. Definitely less pronounced 2-3 delay/oddity (maybe even eliminated) when accelerating harder.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My new '19 also does have that "delayed 2-3 shift" feeling. Almost like it's not sure if it's going to shift to 3 or 4, and just maybe that is what's happening? Anyone else think/wonder maybe the same? It might be the car shifting straight thru frmo 2nd to 4th on light throttle (likely for gas mileage)?
Hi Grantv,
I am the OP of the other thread mentioned. I think this is a good point.
Unfortunately at-least on my 2017 Denali, there is no current gear indicator. So I cannot know if gear shifted from 2-3 or 2-4. If other trims or your model shows gear please do let us know what you find.
Or if someone has some has a scanner (OBD may help?) which can let u know current gear even if not shown in DIC.

Or shift gear to L mode and come to full-stop. And then car will automatically start from 1st gear and display the gear number.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Or shift gear to L mode and come to full-stop. And then car will automatically start from 1st gear and display the gear number.
I don't believe the display works that way. It only shows the highest gear the transmission will shift into while you're driving. At least , that's the way it has been.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Grantv,
I am the OP of the other thread mentioned. I think this is a good point.
Unfortunately at-least on my 2017 Denali, there is no current gear indicator. So I cannot know if gear shifted from 2-3 or 2-4. If other trims or your model shows gear please do let us know what you find.
Or if someone has some has a scanner (OBD may help?) which can let u know current gear even if not shown in DIC.

I know my '19 doesn't show current gear, and honestly; don't think I've ever seen a car that does.
Shifting manually will remove that lag I would expect. But auto is auto, never used that, yet anyway. It might help determine what's happening if one would/could watch RPM's very closely. But I wonder if that would be possible with a 6 speed auto... not likely IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: took the car back into the dealer for them to try and "fix" again. Got a 2020 Acadia SLT as a loaner and shifting is very smooth, no problems with that one. Will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Update: took the car back into the dealer for them to try and "fix" again. Got a 2020 Acadia SLT as a loaner and shifting is very smooth, no problems with that one. Will keep you posted.
Don't know if it would be quite fair to try equating a 6-speed transmission with a 9-speed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Greetings! After following the Acadia Forum for quite a while, it can persuade an existing Acadia owner to look at another brand after some of the issues on the newer Arcadia models. I have a 2013 Acadia Denali AWD and overall have been very happy with the vehicle. The only issues I have had was replacing the A/C System, Fixing an engine Oil Pan leak. This was covered under an extended warranty right after my 3 year warranty expired. I only have 26K miles on my vehicle. It looks and runs great, but the newer models as I mentioned earlier can keep a prospective buyer from making their next purchase a Arcadia. Best of Luck to All.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you read ANY car forum, you would be dubious about that brand.
Totally true - I've seen it with brands from Honda and Toyota up to BMW, Cadillac and Lincoln, nothing is immune. Well, nothing except for Subaru where the fanboys will all chorus in that a 'problem' with a Subaru isn't a 'problem' but rather a 'quirk' and should be embraced as being part of the personality of the car. o_O

1 - 20 of 43 Posts