GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most dealerships in my area (the Twin Cities in Minnesota) are setting their own prices for the Acadia and Enclave with many refusing to give up their stock for dealer trades. For whatever reason the Outlooks aren't quite as hot and so in a rare moment of mental genius I visited my local GMC dealership and told them flat out that I was purchasing either an Enclave, an Outlook or an Acadia the following day as a surprise anniversary present for my wife. Their response? They said they ould negotiate prices on the Acadia whereas Saturn dealerships adhere to a no-haggle philosophy. All true, and what did that mean to me? Over $2000 off sticker on a 2008 and a wife who should be worshipping me next Saturday when I spring the surprise.

I read another post about the success someone had in leaving the Houston metro area and I concur with that as well. A dealership in a rural area is far more likely to be devoid of the sharks that prowl the urban dealerships.

Anyone else have a success stories to tell about negotiating a price on one of these fine vehicles?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yup - we have some pricing in writing but have not yet closed a final deal. We are currently at $1500 below invoice on an SLT-1.

We ran out of gas on our first test drive, our cell was dead and had to find someone to get a phone to call the dealer to bring us gas. And, this was not a normal dealer set-up - they were calling it the "tent sale" location - new dealership location under construction to be relocated from another part of town. So, the guy in the trailer office was so embarrased and apolgetic that he gave us some great pricing right away to keep us from walking away.

The whole story is below....if you want to read it. It was a doozy! (I cannot write a brief post...)

Saturday night, we drove by the GMC dealer that was under construction on our way across town to a different dealer to try an Acadia. I had called and they had several to drive. But, we saw the banner for this other dealer that they were open having a construction tent sale of sorts. They had one Acadia - maybe not equipped exactly as we wanted but we needed to at least try one! So, they set us up to drive and they sent us out by ourselves which is always nice. Until you go 4 miles and run out of gas. We had gotten off the freeway to switch drivers and it died in the neighborhood we stopped at. I went to call the sales guy since I had his card in my pocket. My cell phone was dead. I looked around. They neighborhood we pulled into is new and under construction and the only person I could see was a guy setting up a romantic candlelight dinner for 2 on his foundation for his house that is a new build! I had to go and explain the situation and ask to use his cell phone. The sales guy felt bad and said this was bound to happen – they had set up the lot only a few days ago (They will be relocating the dealer from another part of town) and had not set up a way to keep the cars filled with gas yet! He had to go and buy a gas can and gas and come and bring it to us.

The drive turned into kind of a bummer because of that but, it may end up help us with pricing in the long run. They gave us preliminary pricing that from my research is pretty competitive, because they felt bad about running out of gas. Their regular dealership ultimately has been bending over backwards to keep us happy so that is good. It is farther away but if we end up buying it, their new location is 2-3 miles from us so that will be more convenient for future service.

They promised to have a different one for us to drive Monday night. For two days we played phone tag (More like they never called me back and I kept calling them) while they figured out if they could bring an Acadia over that was equipped more like want. They promised to have one by 5pm Tues. We went at 6:30. No one was there. I got one of the tent sale salesmen to answer his phone and he said oh, we are bringing it tomorrow - we are closed tonight. Nice.My kids now officially hate shopping for cars. Finally, I called the inventory manager listed on the paperwork and told him I was irritated with them and they got right away working with us and bending over backwards to keep us happy.

Anyway, that night, we ended up getting the extended test drive and really enjoyed it and that has sealed the deal. Along with discussions on this forum.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
mmsimpson said:
So, they set us up to drive and they sent us out by ourselves which is always nice. Until you go 4 miles and run out of gas.
Ran out of gas? There is just no excuse for this. These salespeople sit on their cans all day long smoking and drinking coffee. Why aren't they making sure their test vehicles are filled up with gas?

We had the same thing happen -- luckily in the dealer lot. A few minutes after going through the horrible experience of having a nearby GM salesperson yell at our salesman for approaching us "out of turn", the car ran out of gas after three minutes of idling. The guy knew zero about the Enclave we were looking at. We left and my wife will not go to a GM dealership. I still want the car..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Out of turn". That's classic! Why is it that so many car salesmen are so slimy?

When the ACadia first hit delerships around here last spring I stopped by a couple places to check them out, chat a little about their new offereing etc. I talked with three differnt salespeople and I knew more about the vehicle than thye did, everything from what options came with what trim packages to the differences between the Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, to the size, etc. These people sit around all day, you'd think they'd spend some of that time elarning about their products and their competitors.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have schooled every salesperson on nearly every car we have driven the last couple of weeks. And, I'm a girl. I referred to the Acadia and its cousins as the "Lambda's" and my salesperson looked at me like I an Alien. She also tried to tell me the Enclave was roomier than the Acadia. If anything, the opposite is true! So many more examples. God bless Acadiaforum.net for real information!

I had a Honda salesperson tell me that the Ody touring of course came with the +1 seating to seat a total of 8. It does not. It has not and will not. He insisted they gave you everything but the kitchen sink in that thing, why wouldn't they give you the extra seat? They don't - you get a useless console instead.

The Edmunds.com feature "confession of a car salesman" is a lengthy read but well worth the time - we were fascinated about the inside out world of the sales staff. That's all they have is time...think they could have a flip chart or something to study while they wait!

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's definitely empowering going to a dealer knowing more than they do about the vehicles you're looking at. I don't try to play "stump the dealer" but it ends up happening quite a bit (thanks to this site!). One of the best was when a dealer told me that the '07s should all have backup cameras and didn't know why the one we test drove didn't. And asking about known problems rarely gets any kind of acknowledgment.

Oh, and as for the dealers fighting, I guess it's somewhat common. My dad used to sell cars and I heard a story from someone else who worked there about another salesman accusing my dad of stealing his sale. Apparently my dad (who was much older than the other guy) dropped his briefcase, took off his jacket, rolled up his sleeves and said, "alright, let's go!". The other guy appologized. ;D

·
Registered
87 Posts
ToxicDice said:
"Out of turn". That's classic! Why is it that so many car salesmen are so slimy?
These guys dripped with slime. I talked with my neighbor -- an experienced sales manager at a Dodge dealership. He mentioned that the auto sales people typically have a "gentlemen's agreement" on who gets to approach the customer loitering and drooling outside. For example, at our Honda dealership there is a designated sitting area where salesman who are idle can sit at. He mentioned that he would have fired both salespeople on the spot -- the first for going out of turn, and the second for calling the guy on it in front of a customer. He also mentioned the dealership in question had just had a turnover of their sales manager position for the first time in 15 years -- a natural situation for some chaos..

ToxicDice said:
These people sit around all day, you'd think they'd spend some of that time elarning about their products and their competitors.
Amen!
I am also looking at a Honda Ridgeline. The salesman (12 years selling Hondas) had no idea there was a heated cowl (to defrost ice/snow) on the vehicle. I mean.. geez.. there are what.. maybe 8 vehicles to get to know as a Honda salesman? I can understand a salesman being a little confused at a Pontiac/GMC/Buick dealership with 2 dozen models and 60 option packages..

·
Registered
122 Posts
I makes me wonder. It would appear that having knowledge of the actual product is not required in the automotive industry. Just look at how many car sales people know next to nothing about the cars they push, yet they are still making a ton of money. It's that very fact that makes us despise them so much. They are pros at selling and they really don't care what you buy or need, as long as you buy something. They are not experts in cars. They are experts in reading people and knowing what buttons to push.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's why I am not letting them control the process or push my buttons. This is MY car to buy, not THEIR car to sell. I am in control of this. Even my husband is just sitting on the sideline waiting to write the check!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unfortunately, few people make a career out of selling cars, or learning about them. If you ask what they were selling a month ago it could be computers or vacuum cleaners, and I find it rare that they are "car people" or have any interest in learning their product.

That being said, the gentleman who sold me my Acadia had been in the car business since the 50's, following in his Dad's footsteps. He had lots of family picutres in his office taken in various cars over the years.

It sounds silly, but the fact that he was not a sales weasel really enhanced my buying experience.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The salesman either makes or breaks the deal for me. On the Acadia, I refused to buy at my local dealership when I was not allowed to complete the sale with the internet sales rep. The dealership said I had to have a regular salesman, I guess for commission purposes, but he was very rude.

·
Registered
123 Posts
gbshuler said:
Ran out of gas? There is just no excuse for this. These salespeople sit on their cans all day long smoking and drinking coffee. Why aren't they making sure their test vehicles are filled up with gas?
On the flip side, I can only say good things about the salesperson who helped me with my Acadia. And they "ALL" definitely do not sit on their "cans" all day smoking and drinking coffee. Some of them are nonstop taking the online classes, doing follow-ups, making eBay auctions, test-driving and learning about the new vehicles in all sorts of weather, etc.

ewillie1 said:
Unfortunately, few people make a career out of selling cars, or learning about them. If you ask what they were selling a month ago it could be computers or vacuum cleaners, and I find it rare that they are "car people" or have any interest in learning their product.
I agree. Again, I guess I was fortunate because my salesperson was a car fanatic. It's too bad that some bad apples seem to ruin it for the rest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts