GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if it is possible to negotiate the price on a new 09 Acadia below the employee GMS pricing? Was seriously thinking about taking the plunge and going ahead and purchasing one to take advantage of the discount. Has anyone been able to buy one below the GMS price? Thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had some serious concerns about trying to negotiate below the GMS. I actually had written and initialled documents from my Salesperson and approved by the Sales Manager that reduced my price to about $300.00 over dealer invoice. At first the price was not low enough, but I insisted. I eventually ended up getting them down to what I thought would be fair, since other incentives and numbers crunching looked like the average of $500.00 over or more. I settled for the $300.00 over invoice and was waiting for delivery when GMS was announced. ;)

When the invoice arrived the numbers worked out to as much as $1900.00 under invoice. I tried to get them to include the $300.00 deduction in price with the GMS, and even threatened to walk out of the deal if they failed to give me real consideration. :mad:

They called my bluff, informed me that they appreciated my business and would be willing to work with me again, thanks, but no thanks. They would kill the deal and sell the vehicle to someone else. :eek:

They assurred me that they could not, under and circumstances, sell the vehicle below GMS. :) You know what, I think I actually believe them (but I have been wrong before ;) ).

So, the moral of the story is: Do your homework. You may find some dealership out there that would be willing to go under GMS. Good luck in your travels, but don't be surprised if they won't budge. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Just did some research on the net and discovered that it is probably not possible to get a lower price than the GMS pricing. It is the lowest price you could ever get on a vehicle. So, if anyone out there is considering buying, this is the time. If anyone knows something different, please share.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Skyhawk,
I started a thread just like this a last week. http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4439.0 One member threw out the idea of taking GM up on the $2000 Lease Pull Ahead Offer http://www.ballasbuickgmc.com/AdWizardMainMenu . I spoke to my sales guy about that and they were stern that in order to take advantage of it I had to have a GM lease return. I had Nissan trade in. He said if it was GM trade in, It would have been a different story. He "MAY" have been able to works somthing out.
I Started doing my homework and research for the past 7-8 weeks. I finally just closed the deal on a 2009 Acadia this past Sat and I was able to get $300 below GMS. That's IT! I was hoping to get at least $1000 below GMS and threatened to walk w/o it.. BUT just like Detnick. They called my bluff.. So I settled for the $300 below GMS.

GOOD LUCK!! :cheers:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Just a thought. I wonder if a dealer will try to add on destination charge, advertising fees, etc. to get the price up? I've heard and seen them so I guess that's possible.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, Congrats are in order, ttwins1107. :thumb:
At least you got $300.00 below GMS. Perhaps I should have tried to hold out a little better. Either that, or you're a better negotiator than I am. ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just heard a radio ad from a large Chevrolet dealer in Chicago stating "everyone has heard of the GM Employee pricing by now" and then stating they would beat all offers by $500 on any car below GM's current incentive offers. It doesn't surprise me that some would sell below current incentives as they are looking for a sale and want to drive volume,etc......it also would not surprise me that once GMS pricing is no longer available to the general public.....if you are eligible for the GMS discount because of GM employment or family - this is lowest price you can receive as the dealer can only do it if supported by GM. My guess is GM is providing financial support to their dealer network and some dealers are willing to part with a few hundred dollars to close the sale.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a discussion about this issue with a General Sales Manager at my dealership. He stated that if dealerships are caught by GM employees selling vehicles below the GMS pricing, then they are liable to be sued. He claimed that GM has warned dealerships that selling below GMS will not be tolerated and that other sanctions against non-compliant dealers was very likely. ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, here goes my first post ...

We bought an 08 Acadia at the end of August, and the second dealer we went to didn't want us to leave. They had more options than what we wanted (i wanted baseline with only trailering). When the manager found this out, he said what don't you want. So the car we got has DVD & the 19" wheels -- neither we wanted. We were certainly not paying for the wheels. So he took about $500 off the car, added $800 to our trade-in, and in the end we only paid about $600 more net for the car than if we had only gotten the trailering package.

We did walk in thinking that it was not negotiable though.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Caitlin, welcome and congrats. Check out this thread please.

sharkcom said:
Just heard a radio ad from a large Chevrolet dealer in Chicago stating "everyone has heard of the GM Employee pricing by now" and then stating they would beat all offers by $500 on any car below GM's current incentive offers. It doesn't surprise me that some would sell below current incentives as they are looking for a sale and want to drive volume,etc......it also would not surprise me that once GMS pricing is no longer available to the general public.....if you are eligible for the GMS discount because of GM employment or family - this is lowest price you can receive as the dealer can only do it if supported by GM. My guess is GM is providing financial support to their dealer network and some dealers are willing to part with a few hundred dollars to close the sale.
I wonder if they are giving $500 service certificates or additional accessories, instead of actually $500 off the price? They could also try to add $500 towards the trade. Still ends up below GMS, but in a different line item of the sale.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, finally, here we are . . . the end of the road. :thumb: Whew . . . ::)

MSRP: $ 44,665.00
INVOICE: $ 42,233.50
GMS: $ 40,187.00
OTD: $ 44,380.00
OTD/AFT TRADE: $ 29,749.00

The end of a saga. Will never do it again (I hope). :thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Seems like this thread took a dramatic end. Today I stopped back in to see my favorite guy trying to sell me an Acadia and the GMS price + all available rebates on a fully loaded (I mean fully loaded) Summit White SLT-2 AWD was $43,500 (the sticker listed for $48,900). When he said $43.5 I was almost like SOLD but knew I still had to worry about my trade in which they will appraise tomorrow. They are going to have to give me a little more for my Expedition

GM is already offering 2 years of full On-Star, 2 years of XM and 2 years of Smart Care Maintenance (oil changes, lubes, tire rotations) so that is a heck of a deal too.

I drove the Highlander today too but didn't feel it. Still want to drive the Outlook to make a final determination. I should be driving an Acadia soon - trust me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
As our beloved friend "Blue" has documented under a related topic, GMS is already well below dealer invoice. I've yet to hear of a dealership selling below GMS. Of course, the dealer receives hold-back money and other reimbursements that take the "sting" out of the GMS pricing. The best I've seen is to obtain GMS pricing along with other applicable rebates and incentives.

Good luck,

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
540 Posts
cegledi said:
Seems like this thread took a dramatic end. Today I stopped back in to see my favorite guy trying to sell me an Acadia and the GMS price + all available rebates on a fully loaded (I mean fully loaded) Summit White SLT-2 AWD was $43,500 (the sticker listed for $48,900). When he said $43.5 I was almost like SOLD but knew I still had to worry about my trade in which they will appraise tomorrow. They are going to have to give me a little more for my Expedition

GM is already offering 2 years of full On-Star, 2 years of XM and 2 years of Smart Care Maintenance (oil changes, lubes, tire rotations) so that is a heck of a deal too.

I drove the Highlander today too but didn't feel it. Still want to drive the Outlook to make a final determination. I should be driving an Acadia soon - trust me.
Where did you hear GM is offering 2 years of full OnStar, XM radio,and Smart care maintenance? Or is this a dealer offer?

Bobby

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Taking into account the price increases since we got ours, the extra options, and the $2K or so more for AWD, I suppose $43,500 is a good price. You should verify the numbers by building one on cars.com though. All of this is meaningless if your trade is undervalued as you have alluded to. It is best to approach a purchase as a cash transaction and see what the price is going to be, and then deal from there. The "Big 3" need to move inventory, but it seems like some dealers have no idea of the financial problems facing the parent companies.

The 2009 Challenger I ordered is a perfect example. A number of buyers got gouged by a "market adjustment" of anywhere from $2~20K for the cars when they first came out. Some dealers are still trying to get phenomenal amounts over sticker- one locally is still $10K over. No dealers in the S.E. US would sell for anything less than $600 off sticker on a $37K car. I refuse to play that game and found a dealer that would order for $60 over invoice at a fixed price written on the buyer's order. Had to go to Illinois to do it, but as I said I won't play the games the local dealers are doing. I WILL drive by in my new car next year & let 'em know how much I saved! I'm tracking inventory on a site (Vehix.com) where some dealers post their cars (similar to Autotrader) and each day a few more are added to inventory, so hopefully the madness will stop soon.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
DeForger said:
cegledi said:

Where did you hear GM is offering 2 years of full OnStar, XM radio,and Smart care maintenance? Or is this a dealer offer?

Bobby
I heard this advertised for the Chevrolet Traverse, and other Chevrolet models, but no other Lambda models.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi all! Just popping over from the Traverse Forum. I was able to negotiate a HUGH discount on a new Traverse. It did take a slew of written and e-mailed notes to GM, actually was called directly from Detroit too. But, in the end I was called back from a dealer who I was working with and he offered discounts that I argued were offered by Chevy but did not qualify for due to odd requirements.

Oh, and the 2 year XM/On-Star thing seems to be regional. I did not get it on my new Traverse. But, I may start writing some more letters on that one... ;)

Anyway, I used the current situation that GM is in, along with a brand new model to negotiate my price. (The GM rep that called me specifically stated "We want as my Traverses on the road as we can get so they can be seen...") But, the price I got was fantastic, and which was not much lower than could be had by some within certain limits so I don't think I did GM was put off by what they sold it to me for.

I've been eyeing the Lambda platform since the Enclave came out. Wanted the Acadia most, but the pricing/features on the Traverse made it easiest for me. So that's what sits in my driveway tonight. Hope you all can get good deals too. I did hear rumblings about better/easier deals come year end this year. I guess that depends on where GM is financially then too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 2008 Acadia end of June/08. The specific model, features, and color is not available where I bought my acadia. If they get it from another location, which is out of town, I have to pay $500CAD so I said forget it. I was offered a different color with all the features and more that is their lot. They deducted the features I didn't want which is about $3500.00 on top of that there is a $5,000 rebate offer, and $500 gas card. I also have about $1800 in my GMpoints. Trade in allowance of $8,000 for 2002 Tracker with almost 90km.

MSRP 51,200 final price 36,400.00 or 44,400CAD before trade in for an Acadia SLT1. The final price also include my added steps and splash guard. I wish I had just paid that $500 and get that discount anyway. If someone tells me I got a good deal, I will feel better. Although...

I am having problems with my Acadia. Now I'm off to find that thread.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Narg said:
Hi all! Just popping over from the Traverse Forum. I was able to negotiate a HUGH discount on a new Traverse. It did take a slew of written and e-mailed notes to GM, actually was called directly from Detroit too. But, in the end I was called back from a dealer who I was working with and he offered discounts that I argued were offered by Chevy but did not qualify for due to odd requirements.

Oh, and the 2 year XM/On-Star thing seems to be regional. I did not get it on my new Traverse. But, I may start writing some more letters on that one... ;)

Anyway, I used the current situation that GM is in, along with a brand new model to negotiate my price. (The GM rep that called me specifically stated "We want as my Traverses on the road as we can get so they can be seen...") But, the price I got was fantastic, and which was not much lower than could be had by some within certain limits so I don't think I did GM was put off by what they sold it to me for.

I've been eyeing the Lambda platform since the Enclave came out. Wanted the Acadia most, but the pricing/features on the Traverse made it easiest for me. So that's what sits in my driveway tonight. Hope you all can get good deals too. I did hear rumblings about better/easier deals come year end this year. I guess that depends on where GM is financially then too.
I think we would all like to see some pics of that new Traverse

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
ACANADIA said:
I bought my 2008 Acadia end of June/08. The specific model, features, and color is not available where I bought my acadia. If they get it from another location, which is out of town, I have to pay $500CAD so I said forget it. I was offered a different color with all the features and more that is their lot. They deducted the features I didn't want which is about $3500.00 on top of that there is a $5,000 rebate offer, and $500 gas card. I also have about $1800 in my GMpoints. Trade in allowance of $8,000 for 2002 Tracker with almost 90km.

MSRP 51,200 final price 36,400.00 or 44,400CAD before trade in for an Acadia SLT1. The final price also include my added steps and splash guard. I wish I had just paid that $500 and get that discount anyway. If someone tells me I got a good deal, I will feel better. Although...

I am having problems with my Acadia. Now I'm off to find that thread.
You must have an 09 AWD that is optioned out for that MSRP. Please post all options included in your vehicle

edit:

This is a 23 page topic on Acadia pricing; might help:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=232.0

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.