GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO ALL,
anyone had anyluck negotiating below the GM employee discount?
working on a 2008 Carbon SLT-1 with Ebony Leather, 7 seating, pwr lift gate, dual sky sunroof.

$37,170 msrp
$33,647 after GM employee discount
$1,000 rebate
------------
$32,647.00

any ideas on how i can break lower that $32,647??? any help would definitly be helpful

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Other than incentives and discounts, I have never seen the actual price go lower than GMS.

I have seen people negotiate a certain amount of free oil changes, or service discounts, etc. The service manager at my dealership gave me a $500 gift card towards a new vehicle that I used, but I have been having my cars serviced there for 15 years and the Acadia was my 4th purchase from them.

My guess is that the price you see there is the best you will do. (And GMS is a fantastic price by the way!!)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
As I understand the pricing, the dealer is "compensated" by GM for selling at GMS. There is no additional incentive for them to go lower other than the factory incentives (only on the 2008 Acadia models like the one you are looking at) GAR mentioned, and as GAR observed, the GMS is really as good a price as you will find. What is really nice about it (coming from one who shopped dealers from Atlanta to Tampa via email for a 2009) is that you can go to your local dealer and get the same price as one for sale at a larger dealer. No hassle, no excess calls/emails, no driving 150 miles to pickup your vehicle.

Hindsight being 20/20, if I had known GMS was good through 9-30-08 when I was ordering the end of July/first week of August, I would have dealt w/ my local dealer, who was initially $1,100 higher than where I ended up ordering. This was going go another $484+ against me due to the dealer where I ordered failing to disclose ad fees when he quoted a price, and trying to disguise them as a destination fee increase and add them and other already quoted fees onto the quote. If GMS had not come along, I would not be buying the vehicle we ordered. We still don't have it, and it was supposed to be here on the 8th. I've detailed the experience in another post, if you have a day or two sometime you can read it. :) I'd have loved to have found what we were looking for in stock somewhere at GMS.

You can try & get a better deal but in my experience it won't happen. At the end of the day, when I compared all the total prices (with ALL fees but not taxes) the 12 or so dealers had given me, the lower ones were within $100 of each other.

In summary, GMS= great price, no hassle, none of the games as described above. The price you have ($32K) for a well equipped mid-level Acadia is what we were looking at paying for a not-so-well equipped 2008 base (XE) Outlook when we first started shopping in July.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: negotiating a 2008 ACADIA (after the GM employee discount)

thanks for the reply guys... ANYONE else???
I have been in negotiations with 3 dealers out here in te North O.C. area for this specific Acadia that is Available only in the North San Diego area. so far there are only 2 avail at this trim level with these options and both are in San Diego, which means they would have to transfer the vehicle. the negotiations has been going on for the past two weeks and it's starting to become frustrating since none of the dealers would budge on the price. so i figure i shld turn to the pro"s who currently own an Acadia and has been through the purchasing process with the GM employee discount. any additional feedback, tips or ideas would be appreciated!!!

I maybe closing this deal tonight 9/12/09 or tomorow 9/13/09

by the way re: transfer -OR- dealer trades. does anyone kno if the Acadia will be towed to my local dealer or will someone actually drive it?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Re: negotiating a 2008 ACADIA (after the GM employee discount)

ttwins1107 said:
thanks for the reply guys... ANYONE else???
I have been in negotiations with 3 dealers out here in te North O.C. area for this specific Acadia that is Available only in the North San Diego area. so far there are only 2 avail at this trim level with these options and both are in San Diego, which means they would have to transfer the vehicle. the negotiations has been going on for the past two weeks and it's starting to become frustrating since none of the dealers would budge on the price. so i figure i shld turn to the pro"s who currently own an Acadia and has been through the purchasing process with the GM employee discount. any additional feedback, tips or ideas would be appreciated!!!

I maybe closing this deal tonight 9/12/09 or tomorow 9/13/09

by the way re: transfer -OR- dealer trades. does anyone kno if the Acadia will be towed to my local dealer or will someone actually drive it?
I know up here if the vehicle comes from within the same province they usually just drive it up but if it comes from out of province they ship it. so I would assume they may just drive it to your particular dealership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just my 2 cents of information even though I am an Enclave owner - in 2005 when GM offered employee pricing, I read that dealers received 5% of MSRP - not sure if that is the case today, however if true that is pretty decent compensation from GM to the dealer for a no-haggle sale. I have also read that GMAC currently offers to lower price by 2K if you have an expiring lease (GMAC for sure - not sure about other mfg/bank leases) between now and 6/30/09 and you finance (not lease) a new deal with them....not sure if a dealer can get creative or what you have to show to receive this benefit - but to me, if I am leasing or not, GM should cough up that 2K no matter how you are coming to them to acquire a vehicle. In terms of a lower price - can it be done - I think so - a couple Saturday's ago, I saw an ad for an Enclave indicating that the dealer was beating the GMS/bonus cash offers by appx $100 - so I think anything is possible with enough work/effort - but likely more work/effort than necessary (unless you can get 500 - 2k more)... given that you only have a couple cars that you are interested in within the San Diego area. Final thought, I bought my Enclave at the end of July pre-GMS....I got a great deal both from the dealer and GM as sales were really likely looking pretty bad that month and in that last week GM gave certain dealers $250 certificates to help move cars - they could use up to 6 or $1500 for the Enclave and in addition I still received the $750 bonus cash / 2.9% financing they were offering at the time....if I bought the same vehicle today (if available) - the total cash price with GMS/1k bonus is currently $80 more expensive and if financing 60 mos/4.5% (not GMAC - great rate and might actually be slightly higher) appx $30/Mth more.....pre labor day - cash price was $420 cheaper ($1,500 bonus cash)...however monthly payment at the same 4.5% was still $20/Mth more.....not to get your hopes up, but maybe GM will do something the last week or so of Sept for a 2008 for those buyers on the edge and to close the month/qtr strong.......if you get that extra 2K that would give you a significantly better cash deal or if financing you would be $7/Mth lower at 4.5% financing....if not, I would strongly consider a 2009 - GMS pricing on that currently can't be beat and you have the entire year to use and minimize your depreciation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sharkcom said:
I have also read that GMAC currently offers to lower price by 2K if you have an expiring lease (GMAC for sure - not sure about other mfg/bank leases) between now and 6/30/09 and you finance (not lease) a new deal with them....not sure if a dealer can get creative or what you have to show to receive this benefit - but to me, if I am leasing or not, GM should cough up that 2K no matter how you are coming to them to acquire a vehicle.
Do you recall where you found or read this current offer? I mean I could easily grab that info and throw it at the salesman and see what they say. It doesn't hurt right? I guess as long as it's not a magazine or newspaper I throw at him.. ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
An Enclave member that is a dealer sales rep mentioned the lease pull ahead in the Enclave forum (Tralfaz) - however I can't find the discussion thread. I believe there has been discussion on this forum as well....Google search on 2008 GMAC Lease Pull Ahead can pull up some dealer sites http://www.ballasbuickgmc.com/AdWizardMainMenu that give some more details....

Like any negotiation or sale opportunity - work with the sales rep that can help you navigate the best deal - whether sharing of their incentive from GM, qualifying you for the 2K+ down payment, etc.....you might have to test the waters with more than one to see how/what they can do.....i.e. the more poles you have in the water, the more information you can obtain and the leverage to your benefit so you have a better chance of landing the prize you are seeking. Tell the one of the dealers you are working with you want the 2K down payment program (maybe more as GM also pays 2 lease payments - so 3k?) if you are going to get a 2008 - even if you have to finance with GMAC at a higher rate, you can always buy that out later and then refi with another finance company at a lower rate later.... one of those reps might make some calls to GMAC to see if they can close the sale if you are firm that you are not going to buy GM (threaten you might buy from a competitor whether real or not - some mfg's are offering 0% financing; big cash incentives, use compelling financial arguments that work for you, etc....)......trust me - the dealer, GM and GMAC want to close sales....just a matter of finding the right people to make it work...

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
sharkcom said:
Just my 2 cents of information even though I am an Enclave owner...
Thanks for posting this info shark, it could definitely be of use.

Just goes to show how awesome this forum is- it pulls in owners of all Lambdas at one point or another! ;D

Next thing you know, we'll have Journey owners posting here, and not too long after that, former Journey owners. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just purchased a 2009, and our salesman said that while some dealers may go lower than Employee pricing, they do so at risk of being caught by the audit. Instead, they gave us what seemed like a heck of a deal on our trade in...significantly higher than the internet pricing services. I'm betting they dipped into their holdback to improve the trade-in to make it happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts