GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install a aftermarket backup camera. How do I access the reverse lights to tap a power supply for the camera?

Any ideas!? ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I added one to My CrewCab I used the lead coming out of the Body Control Module (BCM). I am not sure if the Acadia has one (or where it is) but that is what I would try to do.
Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I don't know that I would be able to do that.
The wires aren't very long, and the reverse lights on the acadia are actually mounted to the liftgate, and I am not seeing an easy way to access the reverse light housing.

Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Take it to a local sound shop. If you haven't bought the camera, you can buy it there, and they'll install it for about $100 labor.

They might even do it for just the labor if you have the parts.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Thanks I don't know that I would be able to do that.
The wires aren't very long, and the reverse lights on the acadia are actually mounted to the liftgate, and I am not seeing an easy way to access the reverse light housing.

Thanks for your assistance.
I do not have the trailering package, but my 2008 has the trailer wiring harness just above the right rear wheel well. There is a connector there providing all the wires for wiring a trailer. One of those is a back up wire. It may be that there is something else you need to do in the fuse panel, but based on other threads I have read, this fuse panel thing is covered under warranty if you need it done.

If you want to see more info about the wire harness and some pictures, follow this link.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2396.msg31433#msg31433

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice and assistance. I am a somewhat adventurous type of person. Its only $$$$ right? :banghead:

I experimented, and I was able to remove the panel on that back hatch cover. Located the backup light wires, tapped them with connectors, and poof, the camera works. Next adventure (someother day, out of time now)to wire the screen into the 12 volt power somewhere.

The back hatch is in pieces, so I will take photos and post them.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
bonk1313 - Where did you install the camera? Can you send pictures?

·
Registered
60 Posts
bonk1313 said:
I experimented, and I was able to remove the panel on that back hatch cover. Located the backup light wires, tapped them with connectors, and poof, the camera works.
Good call, I lost track and forgot it was wireless right? that was a good choice to p/u trigger / power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why when I click the links it takes me to the general discussions page, it's driving me crazy! I'm trying to look at the details but it isn't working for me, and I need to figure this out! Cheers

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Why when I click the links it takes me to the general discussions page, it's driving me crazy! I'm trying to look at the details but it isn't working for me, and I need to figure this out! Cheers
It's called the wonders of moving to a new software platform.
A combination of loosing links and other helpful references form older posts and the software redirecting to wherever it thinks is best.
Also, you can no longer search or look for members past posts or. . at least for only a short number of them.

Ask Admin why past posts and links are broken I guess. . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts