GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I have a 2015 Acadia with a dead key fob. I have replaced the battery, cleaned the contact on the circuit board with a eraser, glued foil pieces to the buttons all to no effect.

I figure it is dead and needs to be replaced. Are there any optional or updated fobs that would work? The replacement fob needs to be programmed at the dealer, correct?

Thank you all for the time. I look forward to your ideas, thoughts, suggestions or input. Have a wonderful day and stay six feet away!!

Respectfully,
George D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody? I can't be the only one with this problem. Well, the way my luck goes I could be.

Thanks for the time! Stay safe!

Respectfully,
George D.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you have one working key fob I beleive you can program a new fob yourself as long as it is the exact type of fob for your model year.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
A working key fob isn't necessary to program a new one for the 2015 model year. A replacement fob must be programmed either by the dealer, or a by qualified locksmith. According to the owners manual, there isn't a provision for owners to program one themself. Would probably be a good idea to have the RCDLR on your vehicle checked to see if it's operating properly.

How come your vehicle doesn't have a second fob? Did you buy the Acadia used and given only one with it?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've seen some aftermarket fob programming devices that plug into the OBD port that apparently can also be used to program additional key fobs for many GM cars and trucks in 2015 model years. Not sure how pricey they are but maybe cheaper than a dealer visit.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
BTW, you can get a replacement fob through the dealer, eBay, Amazon, and a host of other suppliers. Look through our forum vendor sites to see if they have fobs available for purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A working key fob isn't necessary to program a new one for the 2015 model year. A replacement fob must be programmed either by the dealer, or a by qualified locksmith. According to the owners manual, there isn't a provision for owners to program one themself. Would probably be a good idea to have the RCDLR on your vehicle checked to see if it's operating properly.

How come your vehicle doesn't have a second fob? Did you buy the Acadia used and given only one with it?
I am sorry, I guess I was not clear. I have two fobs, mine and my wife's. Mine appears to have given up the ghost. My wife's works fine.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
I am sorry, I guess I was not clear. I have two fobs, mine and my wife's. Mine appears to have given up the ghost. My wife's works fine.
That's good to know. Disregard anything stated about getting the RCDLR checked out.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
Something to note: It's likely your wife's (working) fob will have to be reprogrammed at the same time your new fob is programmed, else it may not work. That is discussed in many 'net posts about replacing a fob. I believe this is true for any other fobs you're going to get programmed for the vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are 4 spots in the system for KeyFobs, you can either add, remove or replace.
I have access to a MDI2 and software, didn't need to visit the dealer.
Replacement case for the fob was as expensive as a new complete Fob from Ebay, so I got a new one and added it to the system, no need to reprogram all of them at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
..., no need to reprogram all of them at the same time.
That's interesting, but this is a statement about RKE fobs in the 2015 owners manual: "... When the replacement transmitter is programmed to this vehicle, all remaining transmitters must also be reprogrammed. ... Each vehicle can have up to eight transmitters programmed to it. ..."

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's interesting, but this is a statement about RKE fobs in the 2015 owners manual: "... When the replacement transmitter is programmed to this vehicle, all remaining transmitters must also be reprogrammed. ... Each vehicle can have up to eight transmitters programmed to it. ..."
Not sure if that's a general statement GM puts in all manuals.
When programming with GDS 2 it doesn't mention reprogramming other fobs unless I choose 1 of the spots already taken.
You are right about the 8 transmitters, the software shows 4 slots for Fobs but there is a warning that some vehicles can accommodate more than the 4 listed. Don't really see the need for up to 8 Fobs unless it's a company car shared with multiple people

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Not sure if that's a general statement GM puts in all manuals.
When programming with GDS 2 it doesn't mention reprogramming other fobs unless I choose 1 of the spots already taken.
You are right about the 8 transmitters, the software shows 4 slots for Fobs but there is a warning that some vehicles can accommodate more than the 4 listed. Don't really see the need for up to 8 Fobs unless it's a company car shared with multiple people
That's a lot of fobs . . . . I suppose if someone had a family with a lot of drivers or a company car as you stated. I've gone up to 4 fobs on a previous GM vehicle just to have spares.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I have a 2015 Acadia with a dead key fob. I have replaced the battery, cleaned the contact on the circuit board with a eraser, glued foil pieces to the buttons all to no effect.

I figure it is dead and needs to be replaced. Are there any optional or updated fobs that would work? The replacement fob needs to be programmed at the dealer, correct?

Thank you all for the time. I look forward to your ideas, thoughts, suggestions or input. Have a wonderful day and stay six feet away!!

Respectfully,
George D.
I also had problems with key fobs. I bought 2 on Ebay for 16 bucks. If you know someone with a scan tool you can program them yourself. I have a snap on modis ultra. Ebay sells a program tool with 1 fob for 70 bucks. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I also had problems with key fobs. I bought 2 on Ebay for 16 bucks. If you know someone with a scan tool you can program them yourself. I have a snap on modis ultra. Ebay sells a program tool with 1 fob for 70 bucks. I hope this helps you.
Exactly. . . . very helpful DIY info for the average owner. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I have located the correct fob on Amazon. What can I expect the dealer to charge to program it?

Thank you all again for the time. Have a great day and stay safe!

Respectfully,
George D.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
I've seen a range of prices. Depends on locality. Should be <$100 - and also depend on the number of fobs to program/reprogram. Could be half of dealer's price if a locksmith does it. Be sure to take any working fobs with you. ;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ok, so I have located the correct fob on Amazon. What can I expect the dealer to charge to program it?

Thank you all again for the time. Have a great day and stay safe!

Respectfully,
George D.
I had one programmed a few years ago at my dealer, but it was on a 2015 Equinox. They did for $80.
If you have a dealer you like or have visited, maybe call and ask. Or even call any GM dealer and see what the service department says. I've also found if you just "happen" to stop in at a dealer service department when they aren't too busy, and talk to a service adviser in person.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts