GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was considering buying an Acadia, but due to the economy, I may have to buy a used vehicle and then buy an Acadia later. Was thinking about getting a 2005 Lincoln Aviator. Was wondering if anyone out there new anything about them, had one in the past, knew someone who had one, etc. Any comments, good or bad about the vehicle. I do know they are gas hogs due the V8 engine. 2005 was the last year they were made. They came out in 2003. I have test drove one several times and do like the way they drive. Thanks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sky..,

I think they're great looking vehicles. Before the Acadia came out I was looking at them. I never drove one, but I sure like the overall vehicle! And, from what I recall, any of them would be "dressed" like an SLT-2 ... nicely appointed.

How many miles on it?

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
42,000 miles. And your right about appointments. It even has heated and cooled seats. It drives well. Feels stable in turns. I've noticed though that they are hard to sell on ebay motors. And they don't command much on resale. There was one that had only 11,000 miles and they couldn't sell it at $18,0000. They originally sold in the high $40,000 to mid $50,000. Of course, most all SUVs trucks are way down. They can't give them away it seems. If the Acadia wasn't so popular, they would have huge rebates on it. But, if car sales stay down, that may change. So for your info, Lincoln Navigators are even harder to sell by the dealers. Huge discounts are on them right now.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
As with any vehicle, it is in the eye of the beholder. We found this out yet again when we sold our 80K mile 2001 Durango RT (SLT2 of Durangos). No dealer would give us over $4K for it, even though multi-source (Edmunds, Kelley, NADA) wholesale values ranged from $7200 to $5500. It was not a beater by any means and had been garaged most if not all of it's life, was complete, everything worked, you could drive it anywhere. We sold it for $5500 in August. I saw another guy that had a 2002 one (same RT trim) with more miles that had recently "reduced" the price down to about $9K. It was funny because someone asked him what the reduced price was (the thread had reduced price in one of the posts) and he said $9K was the reduced price. Simply put, he won't sell that vehicle in this market for anything close to that.

Just rechecked & there is a 2000 RT with over 100K miles, lifted suspension, rear seat removed, $6500. Was $7500 in August. The 2002 is still for sale w/ no activity and same price.

With this in mind, if you want a V8 SUV, this is a great time to buy one if someone really needs to sell it and will do so at market value.

It would be helpful to find a Lincoln or Aviator forum & join or browse there to get a feel for what is happening with them. I usually do this before I buy a vehicle.

Freakout in: 6[/color]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took your advice and found a forum or too on the Aviator. Discovered some distressing news. The Aviator is on the Consumer Reports Worst Used Car List. Not very encouraging. The car has issues with reliability. One involves a steering wheel shudder when making left turns. On a good note, the people that have not experience problems love the vehicle. The Aviator is built on a Ford Explorer frame but shares a similar interior to the Lincoln Navigator. I am worried if I buy it, it would be very hard to sell at a later date. Say, when I decide to buy the Acadia. I guess the main objective here is to buy it right or get stung later.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if you are buying used, buy an acadia used. then when you trade in for a new later, you may get a little leverage as they know you will be serious. we paid the same price for our acadia as we did for our aztek four years earlier. the aztek was used also. show around, you could get a good deal.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It is easy to over analyze this stuff also, in the meantime you are w/o the "new" wheels so this is a loss of some sort.

Schram has a good idea there, the '07 models are now three model year old, I'm sure you can shop & find a decent deal. If the price gap is still too large, i.e. the Lincoln you found in your area with 11K miles that the original owner is selling for $9K vs. an Acadia that is farther away & has more miles for $15K, you have to decide if you want to pay the extra up front now. Do a lot of research, as you already are via their forum (although it is undoubtedly inferior to this one :p), and this will help to make your decision. No one knows what gas prices will be a year or two from now, and this could have a big effect on the value of an SUV.

I know the gas mileage calculator I posted says it takes years to make up the difference by buying a more fuel efficient vehicle, but in our case we went from 14-15 avg MPG to 18-19 (DIC figures on both), which is almost a 1/3 decrease in fuel consumption. What this means in the real world is that if your gas bill was $300/month, it is now a little over $200, a real nearly $100/month savings. Of course, if what you are driving now is not a V8 SUV and gets better mileage than an Acadia, this is a moot point.

Freakout in: 1[/color]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buying a used 08 is not a bad ideal. I found one that is a program car for $23,900 and it has 11K miles on it. Then next year, sell it and buy an 09. Also, would know what the 2010 model will be like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts