GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:so i just bought...i mean like just bought my new 08 acadia. it has the titanium leather and i'm afraid i might have ruined the seat. I was wearing a black belt during a long drive, and it seems like some of the black stain for the belt seeped onto the seat and stained the seat leather :banghead: . I tried maguiers leather cleaner. and a hope couch leather cleaner, but nothing seems to work. it looks like it got into the pores of the leather. can anyone help me"? i need to know what to use to get the stain out. any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have no clue. If it were me, I would probably take it to a leather shop or perhaps a auto detailer and see what they say. Good luck.

I also have the titanium leather and am 100% sure before we are done with the car, I will have some similar stain. Please let us know what fixes it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You could try hairspray or rubbing alcohol. I am guessing it is like an ink stain. I have not personally had to deal with stained leather seats, but I have heard that hairspray or rubbing alcohol is worth a try. If you do decide to try one of these home remedies let us know how it works out. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the ideas. i will try them when i get home today. i will take before and after phots and see if it works or makes any differences. :-\

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Thanks Liquid Silver!!

The link I eventually got to was http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk/inkremoval.asp and I found it very informative and seemed like it was factual. I think I will be changing what I touch the leather with quite a bit. This is my 1st car every with leather and I did not know that it was so particular to care for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Liquid Silver said:
BTW, they recommend against hairsprays and alcohols. Good luck...

:banghead: after i already tried both...oh yeah no luck by the way

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
This thread motivated me to finally try cleaning my Titanium Leather last night. I bought the car in September 07 and had not done anything to condition the leather. The rear bench was simply awful. From the kids, it had a black hue that reminded me of the bottom of a dirty shower. There were also a few ink pen marks. The passenger seat up front had a blue hue to it from some new blue jeans. Over all, it was a mess.

I used Zaino's Z9 leather cleaner and their Z10 conditioner. The Z9 did not take out the ink stain and did not take out the blue hue from the jeans. But when I added the leather brush I got on-line http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html things changed. So it might not be as much the cleaner as it is the method.

With the same Z9 cleaner and a little bit of scrubbing, everything came as clean as new. Even the pen marks and the blue hue came out. I guess I'm just lucky because it looks as good as new now.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanx for the tip GAR! I had a Sharpie break in my back pocket. Most of it I got out, but there is a little left down in the crease.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks GAR,

I just ordered that brush. I will try again when it comes in. I can't figure out how to post pictures though...oh yeah. in the picture you can actually see where my belt loop is on my pants. Stupid A&F belt...piece of crap i tell you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keith said:
Ebony interior. Halleluiah!!
:mad: LOL...i kinda wish i would have got the ebony now too....but in arizona? whew would that have been hot

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I got the Titanium because of the heat factor. So far I am glad I did.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my new Acadia's ebony leather.. I'm not sure what did the dye transfer.. sort of blueish in color.. but it was on the back and the lower side bolsters. I just used some warm water on a terry cloth rag w/ a little elbow grease. Looks like new now.

Is there anything that you can do to prevent this.. besides covering the seat?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
This is my first leather car. I also have the titanium. It could be my imagination, but I have found that after I cleaned and conditioned the leather that it seemed to resist dirt and stains a bit better and certainly cleans up easier. (I used Zaino products but I don't think that matters)

Again, this is just my observation and it may be skewed by my desire to have my work conditioning the leather actually matter.

·
Registered
635 Posts
kbacon said:
I had the same thing happen on my new Acadia's ebony leather.. I'm not sure what did the dye transfer.. sort of blueish in color.. but it was on the back and the lower side bolsters. I just used some warm water on a terry cloth rag w/ a little elbow grease. Looks like new now.

Is there anything that you can do to prevent this.. besides covering the seat?
Eventhough denim has been washed several times, you will still get color from the on things from time to time. Try washing your jeans, any color with a table spoon of vinegar in the wash, that sometimes helps the dye set better.

No matter what anyone tells you, do not put a protectan/waterproofer on your leather seats. When you do that, the leather can't breathe and will dry up on you. I use leather cleaning wipes each week to keep them clean and conditioned. If you can find it (usually at a wester store or shoe repair shop) get some "Bick-4" I use this on leather products as well and it is great for cleaning and conditioning. It does not take alot, just put some on a rag, wipe it on, once you get done with the other seats, go back and wipe off the excess from the first and so on. Let it sit over night and you are good to go. Here is a link to my companies web site to show you what it looks like so you can find it in a local store, or buy it over the internet. I have used and sold this stuff for years and it was one of the few care items I truely recommend.You can find it at most shoe repair shops or western boot stores (online as well)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
khansen30 - Thanks for your input. I have never owned leather car seats before so I am new to this. I have some questions for you.

You said " do not put a protectant/waterproofer on your leather seats". Just so I am clear, this does not mean that we should not use a leather treatment/conditioner. Right?

You recommend using a conditioner like the product 069510 "Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner" from http://www.sheplers.com. I am assuming any good quality leather conditioner (not protectant/waterproofer) would be OK. Agreed?

I poked around at http://www.sheplers.com a bit and found product 069506 "Scout water & stain protect spray". It seems like this the type of thing we should stay away from. Right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You said " do not put a protectant/waterproofer on your leather seats". Just so I am clear, this does not mean that we should not use a leather treatment/conditioner. Right? Bick 4 has a natural water repelent in it, those types are okay. Also, smell the product, if it smells like terpentine or alcohol don't use as they are drying agents, there should really be no smell to the conditionor.[/color]

I poked around at http://www.sheplers.com a bit and found product 069506 "Scout water & stain protect spray". It seems like this the type of thing we should stay away from. Right? I won't use it on my boots and I'm not going to use it on my leather seats. Some do, I don't think it helps at all and does more harm in the long run. On a pair of boots that might last a year or two you may not notice a problem, but 10 years down the road your seats could become cracked.[/color]

You recommend using a conditioner like the product 069510 "Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner" from http://www.sheplers.com. I am assuming any good quality leather conditioner (not protectant/waterproofer) would be OK. Agreed? Right, as long as you don't get that terpentine smell.[/color]

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own a furniture store and I deal with leather furniture all the time. It is fine and I actually recommend that you put a good leather conditioner on the leather every six months or so to keep it soft and supple. There are many good conditioners with an UV blocker in them that will help protect your leather. They will also help against staining. But what ever you do, do NOT use Armor All or any protectant products like it. They will dry out your leather and eventually ruin it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts