GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I've made a bunch of MP3 CDs, and they play fine. But man, it takes like 15-25 seconds for the music to start between folders or when I change discs (even between regular non-burned CDs). I'm guessing this is normal.

Next - I read the manual - but maybe I'm not making my MP3 CDs correctly. I'd put perhaps 7-8 albums I've ripped onto one CD. Each would be in the root, where the folder is the artist and album name...like "Escaping the Wheel by Wil's Drama" would one root folder name. In that folder would be about 10 tracks, all also named correctly. And yes, those ID tags on the songs are correct. Now repeat this with 7-8 more albums.

When I play the songs, the radio just shows that there are like 70-80 tracks on the CD. I think it says T-37, etc during some track. I can advance folders using the dash buttons on the radio - but I can't tell what album I've advanced to until after it starts to play the first song. And knowing I'm playing song 37 (which may be track 5 from the third album) doesn't help anything. So I'm hoping at least I could advance to the third album, it show me the album name - then I advance to the 5th song - and the dash show 5 <song name>, regardless of what folder I was in or the order of the folders.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you have a random play order set, it will take longer to go to each song.

You might try putting all the songs together into one long list. Print out the list (and keep it handy), then you will know exactly what number to go to and what it is. Just don't have an accident while you are looking at the list.

By the way, I burned about 900 songs onto a DVD. The only way I can see the title is to open the screen behind the front seats and lean way baaack. This, of course, is a lot of fun at freeway speeds. The songs do play pretty quickly though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
sandman said:
If you have a random play order set, it will take longer to go to each song.

You might try putting all the songs together into one long list. Print out the list (and keep it handy), then you will know exactly what number to go to and what it is. Just don't have an accident while you are looking at the list.

By the way, I burned about 900 songs onto a DVD. The only way I can see the title is to open the screen behind the front seats and lean way baaack. This, of course, is a lot of fun at freeway speeds. The songs do play pretty quickly though.
Sandman..don't do that anymore. especially on the freeway you silly nut!!

So does this burning cd's work better then having an ipod. I'm kind of tired of changing CD's and my husband has a ipod that he listens to but i just listen to the radio mostly. I'm thinking about investing in an Ipod for myself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Karol,

I was able to put most of my wife's music collection on one CD(about 30 music CD's I think). I burned them as wma's. Supposedly, it degrades the sound but we're unable to tell. Much easier than trying to remember the iPod.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Don't forget that if you have the DVD, you can burn a ton (somewhere between 600 to 900 songs on mine, I forget) of songs. You just can't see what is playing up front.

·
Registered
263 Posts
sandman said:
You just can't see what is playing up front.
Does that mean that because it is a DVD the kids will be able to tell me what is playing from the screen up above??? I'm guessing not, just being a smart A**. My brain is so frazzled I think I will just listen to the free satellite radio and decide what to do after the free part is over. :cheers:

Did anyone figure out what denemante needed??? I didn't mean to get us off topic.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yes, your kids will be able to tell you what is playing from the overhead screen (way safer then leaning back and reading it yourself ;D).
Actually, I listen to the Satellite radio all the time. Love changing between the 50's, 60's, and 70's stations. The DVD is when I want a weird mix of everything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man, I've been having this problem since I bought my Acadia. All my mp3 CDs worked fine in my pioneer radio that I had in my ex-car... but for some reason the just freeze the sh** out of this radio... to the point of that I'll have to park the car and turn it off and turn the car back on so it will let the radio eject the **** cd... I'll have to try to do it with an original cd and see if its a problem with my mp3 CDs.. but I doubt it since the worked fine before... Now yeah, having an iPod it's fine, or in my case, a Zune (hate communism), but the problem is that cds sound a little better and a little louder than an mp3 player (I like my music all the way up).... But the MP3 cds its a serious turn off with this OEM radio.... :angryfire:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Someone previously had a problem with burned DVD's which wouldn't play well. He changed type of DVD and it seemed to solve the problem.

I'd recommend looking at different CD medium or burn software. This may help a tempermental system.

Personnally, I would drop kick the CD's anyway and move to an MP3 player. Holds way more than a CD.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i just figured out that our nav system will play mp3 cd's. how freakin cool. yah it takes forever to load, but still pretty darn cool. easier than the ipod.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not overly impressed with the MP3 'ability' of the OEM radio either. It seems to have two modes - one with PL (playlists?), and the other a straight track listing. Strangely, it somehow comes up with playlists when I've created none, and excludes songs I know are on there. When I insert a CD into the unit, it seems to default to PL so a favorite song #22 might be #76 on the other mode. Weird and clunky. Man, it took me 6 months to figure out that I can speed up scrolling through the song list by using the dash dial rather than the painfully slow steering wheel paddles.

Anyway, Santa brought me an iPod for Christmas and I'm sold. I went to Best Buy and bought a cheapo 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector cable and I get an intuitive interface and way more song capacity now. The only thing you have to remember is to turn the iPod volume up...trying to "suck" volume out of low-volume output using the radio's volume knob doesn't make for good sound. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
[quote
Anyway, Santa brought me an iPod for Christmas and I'm sold. I went to Best Buy and bought a cheapo 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector cable and I get an intuitive interface and way more song capacity now. The only thing you have to remember is to turn the iPod volume up...trying to "suck" volume out of low-volume output using the radio's volume knob doesn't make for good sound. :D

[/quote]
dont forget to charge it ;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I bought a USB car charger for my Zune so I can charge it while I listen to it in the Acadia. Lovely feature because it really is quite annoying when you forget to charge your MP3 player and it goes dead in the middle of your trip.

You could get the same thing for your iPods and charge them while on the go. :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My cell phone is an MP3 w micro sd card and when needs charge, plug in cig lighter. My Sony MP3 lasts 28 hours before requiring a charge. For few years, download music using WINMIX.com. As back-up, keep music on couple flash drives. MP3 CD's, don't have any more need for my purposes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts