GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some info re: a prospective purchase of an SLT-2 2009.

I am coming off of a lease of a Land Rover LR3, 12 mpg on premium gas and could not wait to give the thing back. Anyway, I have been looking for a replacement for the LR3 and like most of the features of the Acadia especially the large cargo area. I have a couple of concerns that I hope some of you might help me with. I am a physician and need to be able to get to the hospital in snow storms etc. The front end of the Acadia looks very low and I am concerned with its ability to plow through deep snow as we sometimes have 10+ inches where I live and I often have to travel before the plows get through so answers to this situation will be especially apppreciated. I took a 2008 for a test drive today but intend to buy a 2009. I noted that there seemed to be some lag or hesitation on acceleration with the transmission. I did not know if this was idiosyncratic or the usual for this car but was deja vu for the LR3 which suffered TERRIBLY from lag on acceleration no matter how much they tried to fix it. I have also been considering the 2009 Honda Pilot which seems to be good value for the money ( Touring edition) but don't really like its looks or the fact that it has less cargo space. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially with regard to its performance in deep snow and if the front spoiler will break off or get damaged.

thank you,

Dr. Mike

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Re: Need Advice re: new purchase

Welcome to the forum. I can not speak about the AWD part of the vehicle. I can suggest that you do a search by clicking the search button above to the left under your screen name. I have seen several threads about AWD performance. Click here

The 2008 and 2009's have different engines. The 2009's are suppose to be much better in regards to the lag on acceleration. GM put out several Transmissions Flashes for the 2007 and 2008 models to correct the transmission lag issues as well as the frequent shifting in higher gears, the most recent was on MAy 8th. It is possible that the one you test drove did not have that flash done yet. You can also find more on that by searching "transmission" click here

Last thing, please update your profile to include your location. This can assist others assisting you through the process by knowing what area you are in. Forum member can suggest dealerships for purchase and service, as well as give personal relation to your situation.

Check out this thread started by one of our newest Freaks and Moderators [/color] to assist you along the way. Blues Clues

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

am very interested in a new Acadia AWD but concerned with its ability to plow through deeper snow 10-12 inches due to its relatively low front end. We live in an area that does not get plowed that quickly. Any advantage with 19 vs.18 inch tires?

also do you note any transmission lag on acceleration particularly from a stop?

thanks,

Dr. Mike

·
Registered
200 Posts

"It is possible that the one you test drove did not have that flash done yet."

Bet that house on that one. Definitely drive a 2009 if you have any concerns at all.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wife has no problems 2007 snow season w 10 inches and drives every weekday. Acadia details below.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

gurufly said:

Bet that house on that one. Definitely drive a 2009 if you have any concerns at all.
:ditto: The dealer isn't going to perform the May 8th / Aug 1st transmission update on a 2007 or 2008 vehicle that is just sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Hey, Dr. Mike, welcome to the forum. I hear you on the ground clearance up front now that you mention it. I guess they put it on there for aesthetics, but might've been better off without. I live in St. Louis where we had a few heavy snowfalls last winter (nothing like a Nor'easter though!), and I would think you would be fine. If you're travelling before the roads get plowed it should still be fluffy enough to be easily pushed aside. And, really, there's always modifying it. I wouldn't let that deter you from buying the Acadia if that's the only thing you're not sure about. I had an '01 Audi A6 Quattro that got around fine in 7-8" of snow last winter, so I would think the Acadia would be fine.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 19 inch tire is wider and shorter. Thus believe it or not, the 18 inch is slightly taller overall. Essentially, they are identical when it comes to height above the road.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Depends which tire has a bigger contact patch.

However, I have never had any problems with a bit of snow; but any vehicle high centered on enough of the white fluffy will go nowhere, irregardless of tire quality, chains, or drivetrain configuration.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have a 2007 AWD and live in northern NY. The car itself did well with “deep” snow (we get the lake effect in our area) although I only went out when absolutely necessary in snow over 3 feet. No damage to the bumpers or anything from snow pile encounters (I tend to treat it as a 4wd sometimes). The tires, on the other hand, were all right in fresh or packed snow, but were horrible when it came to slush. We finally invested in new tires this season. As recommended, I would suggest test driving the 2009 if that is what you intend to purchase since the 07/08 have had some annoying issues concerning the transmission lag.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The front valance is screwed on amazingly well. After some snow but a lot more sagebrush it's plowed through in a year and a half it's just fine. A good set of winter tires would make the biggest difference in how it gets around in the snow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will be driving in deep snow alot also, I have often wondered about taking the lower black portion of the front bumber off. I think the vehicle would probably look better without it also, just havent taken the time to look into it. My guess is by end of this winter if I dont remove it, it will be broken. I have broke several of these through the winters, on various vehicles.

·
Registered
487 Posts
leafspring said:
I will be driving in deep snow alot also, I have often wondered about taking the lower black portion of the front bumber off. I think the vehicle would probably look better without it also, just havent taken the time to look into it. My guess is by end of this winter if I dont remove it, it will be broken. I have broke several of these through the winters, on various vehicles.
Don't be surprised if you see a decrease in mileage and an increase in wind noise if you remove the lower air dam. That isn't there just because someone thought it looked good, it is very functional.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

GeoHawk said:
gurufly said:

:ditto: The dealer isn't going to perform the May 8th / Aug 1st transmission update on a 2007 or 2008 vehicle that is just sitting on the lot.
Understand that, but if the vehicle was built after May8th that would have the new transmission flash correct? They were still builing the 08's in may right?

·
Registered
659 Posts

gurufly said:

I don't know that I'd bet a whole lot on the 2009 either. The current Car & Driver rates the latest Lambda (Traverse) 4th out of 5 in a CUV comparison in the current issue with one of their major concerns being the transmission shift programming. I would bet that much of the issues stem from the goal of maximizing fuel mileage and is as such just a sign of the times. I would agree with others that the latest programming helps, but in my opinion nowhere near the amount that others have raved. Among my three auto transmission vehicles it remains (after the new programming) the only one whose reluctant shift programming is annoying enough for me to consider manual shifting in areas with grades and mixed terrain.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Seems the most important item has been neglected: WINTER or SNOW TIRES!!!!

Yes, high ground clearance helps (i.e. better than a MiniCooper), but you would need proper shoes to move around! If I may, all season tires is akin to wearing hiking shoes when what you should have are Sorel Caribou snow boots!

The combination of snow tires and the sufficient ground clearance is sufficient to get you out and about!

·
Registered
614 Posts
You can always get some nice rims and mount the tires that came on the Acadia on those and use the stock rims to mount some winter tires on.
The weight of the Acadia helps with traction issues, but the tires will make a bigger difference. I typically spray my tires with Armor All or something similar before storing them, and write which corner of the vehicle they came off of with chalk. Writing somewhere on the tread works well. I know where to rotate them to when I do that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Take the whole "YOU NEED WINTER TIRES OR ELSE YOU WILL DIE!!!" argument with a grain of salt. Remember; the vast majority of people / companies telling everyone to buy winter tires stands to profit from your purchase. Driving smartly and responsibly for the conditions can often make the difference.

Some places have introduced bylaws requiring winter tires (the town I just moved from is a prime example... even though they're coastal and their snowfall is minimal), so make sure you're in line there; you might have insurance coverage denied if you're in an accident and you don't have snow shoes.

Me? Didn't buy winter tires for the Acadia last year and I don't plan to this year. And I live in BC; where there is LOTS of snow. My SRT-4 didn't wear snow tires either, and I got around a few inches of snow just fine. Again; it all depends on how you drive on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts