GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this really really irritates me. In order for me, in the passenger seat mind you, to program or do much of anything with NAV we have to be stopped. Now I understand the security, blah blah blah. I don't need someone to tell me when to use the toilet like I don't need GMC/govt to regulate my 2000.00 navigation use. Now that I got that irritation off my chest, what does it take in order to bypass that? I am sure its a grounding wire corrrect? Is there an easy fix so that I can program this while my wife drives the car? I am sure some crafty individual has done this successfully, right?!? Pretty soon we will be removing all drive thrus since eating while driving is as much a hazzard as phones and gps devices, ugh!!!!

Thanks,

Tom R

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello Tom R.,

I have had my Acadia for two weeks now and noticed the same thing and yes it is very frustrating. What I have found, and I could be wrong, is that you can program the Nav while not at a complete stop if you have it programmed into the address book. What I have noticed is that you can not entire a complete address from scratch. Again, I am just as frustrated as you and hopeful that someone on this forum knows more than you and I and can circumnavigate these function.

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK so my only option is to spend 250.00+ for a lockpick that I really don't know if I have faith in????? I appreciate the link so that I know it is an option to me but I am sure this is as simple as a grounding wire situation. If not then maybe its worth just getting a whole new unit and selling this thing off on craigslist.

Very frustrating, turfster thanks for your reply I am glad to know I am not the only one that is bothered by this!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
TomR1972 said:
OK so my only option is to spend 250.00+ for a lockpick that I really don't know if I have faith in????? I appreciate the link so that I know it is an option to me but I am sure this is as simple as a grounding wire situation. If not then maybe its worth just getting a whole new unit and selling this thing off on craigslist.
Very frustrating, turfster thanks for your reply I am glad to know I am not the only one that is bothered by this!!!!
After perusing the Coastal Tech site and is a viable options. I am very concerned too regarding the long term reliability of a lockpick and all the overrides with extra buttons to push, etc. The iPod lockpick looks awesome though and definitely on my list to purchase. Much cheaper and better to use an iPod than monthly cost of XM IMHO. To that end, I am not ruling out the GMX-322 lockpick and will weigh my options. Just do not think I will use a rear camera while driving, watch a DVD up front while driving, the need for extra video sources and do not input that many addresses on the Nav on a daily basis. I guess the bluetooth is something cool though? Not knocking the product because it looks like a very innovative product, just trying to find the need. What else are the benefits of the lockpick that I am missing???

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
On the aftermarket units, based on the manuals I've read, there is a parking brake wire that can be manipulated into having the unit fully function while in motion. I suspect the GM system is not this simple, as there may be a speed sensor input from the computer that is read by the nav unit. I plan on using an aftermarket device on mine for both unlocking and Ipod interface/control.

There is a 7+ page thread on the Lockpick several posts below this one, and I'm sure it has some relevant info you could use.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Usually on aftermarket Nav units, you can input/modify your route while in motion without doing anything (lockpick, grounding..etc). My Kenwood nav has a "safety" setting (user selectable on the systems menu) to disable this function.
Mostly, the "grounding-the-brake-wire" solution is meant to be able to display video (playing DVD) on your headunit while in motion. "G-T-B-W" solution is also different between manufacturers. My kenwood unit will display video while in motion by simply grounding the brake wire while the pioneer navs require some wire configs plus grounding wire.
My Jensen headunit can be bypassed to display video by pressing some buttons on the remote in sequence to display a hidden menu, from there video can be set to ON.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts