GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with the Acadia navigation system, I just learned about this great feature and wanted to point it out in case you haven't used it. It's really easy to use: you just press the "talk" button on the steering wheel, wait for the beep, and then say a command like "Radio ninety-seven point three FM" and--boom--the radio automatically tunes to 97.3 FM. It also works with XM (use a command like "Radio sixty XM" to automatically tune to XM channel 60), CDs & DVDs (use "CD track three" to automatically go to track 3 on a CD), and-best of all--the navigation system. You can add a voice tag to any address in your address book--"home" is the most obvious choice. Then you say "Navigation go to" and a voice comes on and says "State your destination." You then say "home" and boom--the navigation system automatically calculates the route home. It even allows for stopovers. The system appears to "learn" your voice with use--it took me 2 or 3 attempts before the recognition began working really well. Now, it works so well, it's a little scary--almost like "big brother" is riding with you in your car! Very impressive feature, and it is helpful from a safety perspective, since you don't have to take your eyes off of the road to use the system. Enjoy!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Or, your alter-ego!

Great info. :thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you think this command would work?

"Navigation, Play 2007 Disc"? :banghead:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not until you get the disk! >:D

·
Registered
524 Posts
You can also say. navigation, destination, and it will ask where you want to go and then you just say one of any pre-programed tags like "our home" and it will give you those directions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What great ideas! I've already changed the voice tag for "home" to "the batcave!" I think I will create one for work called "Gotham."

I'm also very interested in the Navigation disc issue. I raised cain because of the 2005 copyright on the disc cover, but I was told that the only disc identifying information you could rely on was the part number (10396714), and that, based on the part number, I had the latest and greatest disc, which was the disc for 2007. Of course, they could have been pulling my leg just to shut me up--and just meant that the disc was the one to be USED in 2007, regardless of when it was last updated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most people are either not reading my posts on this subject or do not want to hear it.

The disc is NOT from 2005!

I live in an area that has ongoing construction, and there are roads on my navi disk that were not even there in 2005. 2006 sometime yes, but not 2005.

Dave...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apologize, Dave--I did indeed miss your prior post. You make a great point, however. I just noticed that some of the restaurants listed as POIs in my area weren't even built until 2006 as well. To me, your post proves that the 2005 date is not correct. And the "bottom line" is that we have the latest disc that is available--why stress over something you have no control over?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry I was not implying that you were not listening, just everyone seems to have glossed over all that.

Without a doubt any GPS system is going to have issues with up to date information. In a perfect world these system would be hard drive based (come like the new Infinity's are). A simple WiFi connection or even a USB 2.0 connection to the unit would allow you to update the data more often and be more accurate. But alas someone has to pay for these guys to update the data all the time so it can't be free. That being said, as more and more vehicles comes equipped with these new GPS systems, the price should come down and I suspect more services like the one I listed will come to light.

It has gotten better.

Dave...

·
Registered
125 Posts
berzins said:
Most people are either not reading my posts on this subject or do not want to hear it.

The disc is NOT from 2005!

I live in an area that has ongoing construction, and there are roads on my navi disk that were not even there in 2005. 2006 sometime yes, but not 2005.

Dave...
Dave,

Let me counter that with this. A street leading out of my development was built many, many years ago. It's still not on the disc! Every copyright on that Disc is from 2005. There are none later than 2005.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sorry, berzins, but I have to respectfully disagree with your logic. A road built in 2006 that is included on a disc that has a 2005 copyright "proves" that the disc has been updated since its original copyright. However, there are many, many roads built before 2005 that weren't fully "mapped" in 2005. The exclusion of any such road from a version of a disc does not necessarily mean that the disc hasn't been updated after 2005. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The area I live in is relatively new and shows on the Acadia navigation disc. However, I purchased a new Infinity disc for almost $200 about a year ago and my streets were not listed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
:hijacked:

Back on topic, will the voice recognition work without the navagation? For just the radio stuff!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you have to have the navigation radio for the voice recognition feature to work. However, because I have the navigation radio, I am basing this on the fact that the instructions for voice recognition are found in the last 4 pages of the navigation manual. If you don't have the navigation radio, there's certainly no harm in pressing the "talk" button on your steering wheel to see if it "beeps." If it does, go ahead and try out one of the commands--you never know! Let us know if it works! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont have an acadia/enclave yet so i cant but i was just wondering for when i do get one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A co-worker with a Lexus proudly demonstrated his voice recognition system to me a year ago. "Radio...92.5", he commanded. The system obediently responded "Setting temperature to 92.5." Hope the GMC system understands English better.....:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Acura TL I owned used to do that also...was frustrating...lol...but hopefully When I get the Acadia its better...

Oldtimerfan said:
A co-worker with a Lexus proudly demonstrated his voice recognition system to me a year ago. "Radio...92.5", he commanded. The system obediently responded "Setting temperature to 92.5." Hope the GMC system understands English better.....:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Steve-o said:
For those of you with the Acadia navigation system, I just learned about this great feature and wanted to point it out in case you haven't used it. It's really easy to use: you just press the "talk" button on the steering wheel, wait for the beep, and then say a command like "Radio ninety-seven point three FM" and--boom--the radio automatically tunes to 97.3 FM. It also works with XM (use a command like "Radio sixty XM" to automatically tune to XM channel 60), CDs & DVDs (use "CD track three" to automatically go to track 3 on a CD), and-best of all--the navigation system. You can add a voice tag to any address in your address book--"home" is the most obvious choice. Then you say "Navigation go to" and a voice comes on and says "State your destination." You then say "home" and boom--the navigation system automatically calculates the route home. It even allows for stopovers. The system appears to "learn" your voice with use--it took me 2 or 3 attempts before the recognition began working really well. Now, it works so well, it's a little scary--almost like "big brother" is riding with you in your car! Very impressive feature, and it is helpful from a safety perspective, since you don't have to take your eyes off of the road to use the system. Enjoy!
THANK YOU! This is fantastic.

My wife will roll her eyes when I show her this. Now, instead of my GPS talking to me, I can talk back!

I thought that was just a mute button!!!! :cheers: :blob:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts