GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have several issues with the nav system:

1. for safety reasons, many of the features are locked out if you are moving above 5 mph. that's ok, but it's a real pain when you are going down the highway and want to reprogram a route or find a particular poi. it's really a pain when you have a passenger. i wonder if the system can be fixed to use the same sensor that the airbags use; in other words, if the sensor picks up a front seat passenger, then all the features on the nav are available.

2. about every third or fourth poi is off. for example, i've had several that say it's on the right side of the street, when actually it's on the left.

3. sometimes it gets confused. yesterday, i was following a route that it had come up with, and suddenly the unit thought i was going the wrong way, even though i was following the route exactly. it told me to (no kidding here) "make a legal u-turn in 4 tenths of a mile, then make another u-turn". i've never had the dreaded double u-turn before, but i have had it tell me to turn when the route showed me going straight.

4. i went to a small town in east texas to visit my dad, and even though it showed all the little streets in the town, it came on and told me that there wasn't enough information to use the voice commands. so, if i didn't know where i was going, i would have had to look at the nav screen to see where to turn to get to my destination. my blackberry has a program on it, and it came up with turn by turn directions to my dad's house. my dad has the cheapest garmin portable unit, and it does all the voice commands for the streets as well. if these cheap devices can do it, then why can't my expensive unit do it????

·
Registered
32 Posts
texas123 - I don't want to pretend to be a GPS expert here and by no means have all the answers for you on your concerns. But here is what I know about that technology from my brother who works for Garmin Inc.

There are a variety of companies that offer GPS solutions an they can vary in gadgets and devices that have different features and units; but what varies the most between comanies seems to be the data mapping software. Each company that offers GPS solutions such as Garmin, Tom Tom, Magellan, etc. contract out the mapping software and data collection to third parties. Some third party venders that offer this data are better than others. From the comments I have heard from different users of in car GPS systems is that the factory installed units tend to use data that is not as accurate or up to date as say a Garmin handheld or portable device. Why is that you may ask? Well it all has to do with the efficiency of the software update to the mapping system, and how often the data mapping company offers a software update. Some data mapping companies have enough field reporting to quickly and accurately map new roads or roads that were not previously in their database and other software companies lack that reporting and are more slow to update their software. It is annoying but a fact of life.

I am not sure which company GM cars are equipped with as far as GPS software but I would think that one could find that out and see if and when a software (CD/DVD) update is available. That might help fix some of the confusing mapping issues such as things being on left or right, or roads not being on the system, etc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The other day I was useing it on a delevery and just for kicks punched my "Work" destenation on the way back.

When I got to the highway to head back to town I said to turn right but the HUD had a left arrow :drunk:

I think the discs are 2005 & read that we will get a update every 2 years, so maybe this year we get updated.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey Racefla, I'll never need the Hud. My wife gives me directions like that all the time :banghead:

·
Registered
32 Posts
sandman said:
Hey Racefla, I'll never need the Hud. My wife gives me directions like that all the time :banghead:
When I drove the Acadia, the salesman pointed out that the Nav system can give voice commands and that you can turn it on and off. He said to turn it off when your wife is in the car since she will be giving you the commands and turn it back on when she is not, so you will think she is still in the car. :D

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
kufan said:
sandman said:
When I drove the Acadia, the salesman pointed out that the Nav system can give voice commands and that you can turn it on and off. He said to turn it off when your wife is in the car since she will be giving you the commands and turn it back on when she is not, so you will think she is still in the car. :D
I assume she wasn't in the car at the time he said that. :confused:

Kelly

·
Registered
32 Posts
kjf said:
kufan said:
sandman said:
I assume she wasn't in the car at the time he said that. :confused:

Kelly
No she was not, and it was a good thing because she didn't like this salesperson anyway and might have had to throw down right then and there!!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
kufan said:
No she was not, and it was a good thing because she didn't like this salesperson anyway and might have had to throw down right then and there!!
My wife hates car dealers and salespersons. Actually, she loathes the entire car-buying process. When we bought her last car (a Lexus, and the process actually wasn't that bad), she refused to go inside the dealership building or to talk to the salesman. She stayed out in the lot, walking around, while I went in and dealt with the salesman. :eek:

Kelly

·
Registered
32 Posts
kjf said:
kufan said:
My wife hates car dealers and salespersons. Actually, she loathes the entire car-buying process. When we bought her last car (a Lexus, and the process actually wasn't that bad), she refused to go inside the dealership building or to talk to the salesman. She stayed out in the lot, walking around, while I went in and dealt with the salesman. :eek:

Kelly
Mine too Kelly and she has let me do all the work with the dealership. All she did was test drive the vehicle and pick out her options. I went to the dealer myself and test drove it and went home with the car (sales person in tow) and then she drove it from our house. So really she never even stepped foot in the car dealer. :sosad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kelly, I think my husband was floored when I got it into my head that I would buy my Acadia, because I hate the car buying process, too! But I did all the research, went to all the dealerships (GMC, Acura, Volvo, Honda, Lexus, Toyota), drove the test drives, crunched the numbers, negotiated with the GMC sales guy and got the deal done. He's always been the one to take the laboring oar on the big purchases, but not this time. I have to say, it makes me feel great to know that I'm the one who got it done this time. Even my two year old calls it "Mommy's car."

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Glad to hear it, JacsMommy. I know you'll enjoy your Acadia.

My wife, mind you, is perfectly capable of doing it herself (she is also an attorney and by far a better negotiator than am I). She just hates car dealers.

Kelly

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK....about the Navigation.....

I had previously posted that I thought the GM Nav was ok....a few bugs...but basically worked good....and I do like the intregrated features and it looks cool and all that. But....after a little more experience, all I can say is that the mapping really leaves alot to be desired. :'( Does anyone have any GOOD information on when we may expect an upgraded cd? I think it's a travesty when you pay this much for a new Nav system...only to be outperformed by my two year old Garmin (in terms of mapping accuracy). A mapping program with errors such as this just may be worse than no map at all!

Common GM....lets get an updated CD and make it right! :banghead: :help:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Someone take theirs out of the Nav and read what version the disc is....

·
Registered
100 Posts
foggy said:
didnt have to pull it out....got it from the screen.....2005 version 1.0
That's crazy! I just bought a 2007 M35 and the disc was 2007 v7.2 - this is a joke!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I checked mine also...2005 Ver 1.0 also...What the...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've noticed a couple glitches with the system - makes me take a trip through various side roads to get almost back where I already am - I've noticed it's usually when I'm already at the intersection when I hit "go". Nearest thing I can figure is that it thinks I've already gone through the intersection (instead of taking the proper turn). My Garmin has done it too, but only once or twice.

My map is also 2005. It's actually pretty up to day, even when driving into the Big Dig in Boston. Most Nav companies just buy their maps from a 3rd party company, so it all depens when they 'update'. We get two (I think ??? ) updates, on each of the first 2 anniversaries of purchase. I'd much rather they send them on the 2nd and 4th years, but whatever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can anyone with an Acadia tell me what company name is on the CD for the NAV system? If we know what software company they are using for the mapping then maybe we can find out what the latest update is? If it is GM software then we may need to find out from GM when the updates are going to be made available.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't have NAV but my father has a 2006 SRX with NAV and it seems to work pretty well. It also has the annoying no ability to change anything if your moving feature.

I called him and he said his came with a 2006 version on it, so I don't know why GMC would be shipping with 2005 I doubt there is much difference between the two systems. Maybe GMC got Cadillacs hand-me-downs.

He also said he supposed to get a 2007 version for free once he has had his car for a year. He read on some SRX site that there is no major updates to the maps from 06 to 07. Which is dissappointing to him since he lives in a new community in Florida and his street is not in the map.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've noticed that the locations are off a bit, for example I was at 100 any street and it "marked" as 116 any street. I figure the "mark" feature was off by about 800 feet toward the Northwest. I took to dealer and got "could not duplicate". I have not checked it recently to see if the GPS may have "self-calibrated". I doubt it and since reading this topic, I'll check again soonest.

I've got navigation in my BMW and had it in our 02 Acura MDX that we sold when we got the Acadia--both Navigation systems were extremely accurate,

I was driving an 07 Corvette with navigation on Saturday, and the navigation system is slightly different than the one in the Acadia. One interesting feature is that it has a "Calibrate" touch screen button under settings. That would be useful on the Acadia. I also noted that it was very accurate on locations. Seemed to be a better system--BTW, both systems have Voice controls.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts