GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GMC Acadia SLT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
new to me: 2014 Acadia SLT, I am used to the Navigation Screen being somewhere in the center console.
this Acadia apparently doesn't have GPS. is this an option that was never installed ?
or - is it strictly an OnStar subscription. (I'm thinking I need a Garmin stick on GPS).

DSCF7761.JPG

Question #2:
what is the "+" "-" button for on the shift lever ? Cruise Control speed adjustment ?
DSCF7763.JPG

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Assuming the +/- on the shifter, is for manually controlling the shift when in L (if the '14 is the same as mine).
Can't say on the GPS. If not an option for a '14, maybe it's possible to use the screen from Maps on your cell... anyone?

Reactions: John Smith_inFL

·
Registered
2014 GMC Acadia SLT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disclaimer: I am too Old School to be plugging different things into different things to get from Point A to Point B. LOL
my Jeep Wrangler has the GPS there in the dash - I got accustomed to that.
if the Acadia doesn't have "in dash" GPS, I'll get a Garmin and just stick it onto the radio screen. (I don't listen to music either when driving). yeah - it can be a real drag on a long road trip with me LOL.
shifting gears on the fly seems logical (+/-)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If you already have a smart phone, just use Waze or Google Maps for your navigation. No need to buy anything extra. Your phone can sit in the cup holder and you just need to plug it into a charging port.

Out in WV, onboard navigation doesn't always get you where you want to go. Just ask @speleos.

When my son moved to Christiansburg VA a couple years ago. Factory nav on my '18 Acadia could not find his address. Waze and Google Maps had no problem

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yep, I use my cell plugged into my Acadia full time. Keeps it charged, displays (current) map instead of a boring screen.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
new to me: 2014 Acadia SLT, I am used to the Navigation Screen being somewhere in the center console.
this Acadia apparently doesn't have GPS. is this an option that was never installed ?
or - is it strictly an OnStar subscription. (I'm thinking I need a Garmin stick on GPS).

Question #2:
what is the "+" "-" button for on the shift lever ? Cruise Control speed adjustment ?
Agree on using a Garmin or Cell Phone GPS/map app.
Likely the factory 2014 Nav will not have updates for the best and latest maps.

Answer for your Question #2: The +/- buttons are for "Electronic Range Selection" . . meaning the top gear the transmission you select that it will shift up to. Ex. - If you select "4". . . the transmission will automatically **** from 1,2,3 and then top out in 4th gear.

I have also used it to a limited degree as a "manual" shift operation, but it is not really designed to work in that fashion.

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
I have also used it to a limited degree as a "manual" shift operation, but it is not really designed to work in that fashion.
ERS works quite well for engine braking, or holding a gear on a long climb to keep the transmission from 'seeking' gears too much.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

View attachment 11199

Question #2:
View attachment 11200
John,, what did you do? Get lost on the way to work this morning? You are supposed to be over on the Woodworking Forum.

If you notice I have a 2013 Denali. Navigation is add on to vehicle. Since you do not have one it can be assumed that original owner did not opt for one. I have navigation and it is good, but I also still use my Garmin. In many ways the Garmin is better. I keep it on the extreme left side of the dash. Easy to see there and does not interfere with vision.

Welcome aboard.

george

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
Easy enough to find out from the RPO list on the SPID label in the glove box. Look for the radio option (usually begins with a "U" for m.y. 2014).

·
Registered
7 Posts

View attachment 11199

Question #2:
View attachment 11200
I have a 2015 Acadia SLT, the only wat to get the GPS on your navigation screen is by subscribing to On-Star. But you can use Google Maps for GPS by using your Blue tooth, it works great and it's free!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
I have a 2015 Acadia SLT, the only wat to get the GPS on your navigation screen is by subscribing to On-Star. But you can use Google Maps for GPS by using your Blue tooth, it works great and it's free!!!
The vehicle's GPS works independent of OnStar. The only reason for needing an OnStar subscription is for trip planning, or using OnStar's turn-by-turn direction feature.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The vehicle's GPS works independent of OnStar. The only reason for needing an OnStar subscription is for trip planning, or using OnStar's turn-by-turn direction feature.
Would OnStar information appear on the vehicle screen if basic navigation was not purchased for the Acadia.

George

·
Super Moderator
21,778 Posts
Would OnStar information appear on the vehicle screen if basic navigation was not purchased for the Acadia.
It shouldn't. Basic map data does not come from OnStar.
1623463334538.png

·
Registered
2014 GMC Acadia SLT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks George !!
I remember you discussing the new VS platform (I think with Cricket) that you were a member of one of the VS car forums but I didn't catch a name, if it was given.
I'm really liking this Acadia and when I get ready to upgrade, I want the Denali with 4WD if I can find one in my budget.
the car I have now was originally in a fleet lease program and I guess before it hit 100,000 miles, they turned it in and some guy bought it in Jacksonville, FL and apparently he defaulted in his payments and it wound up in auction.
this is how I got it. a used car guy here in town bought it at auction, cleaned it up really well, put it up for sale Saturday and I paid cash for it Monday morning.
haven't really had it on a road trip yet but will be visiting my daughter up in Jacksonville next week so that will be my test drive.
well - I gotta get back to work - go scare me up some spammers for dinner LOL
John

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
John, I am sure that you will enjoy that Acadia. I have had my Denali for 8 years now and it is a very comfortable vehicle. Don't drive it much anymore, so it is low mileage. Have no thoughts of getting rid of it.

george

1 - 16 of 16 Posts