GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in the selection process of picking the right options for us. We like the NAV system but how well does it work? Any issues? Do they update the system from time to time? Is it worth it?

Thanks.... :help:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your going to have some tell you it is worth it and others tell you the OnStar turn by turn is all you need. Personally I don't have nav in the Acadia. I have it in my G35 coupe and it doesn't even remotely get used enough to warrant the cost, so we didn't get it in the Acadia.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Search for the other threads on this topic. You'll get lots of perspectives. As for me, love the NAV system. Don't find the OnStar directions service worth the trouble, but it's accurate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is my 4th NAV system. First one on an 2003 Denali, had issues with it, and it wasn't touch screen. Best feature was the large screen (and in-dash).

Then I got a Magellan Roadmate 700 (sits on dash). LOVE IT. Still keep it around for trips. The Roadmate 700/760 started giving me problems with the touchscreen, so I got a Garmin NUVI. Nice and small, but not enough options for routing.

Picked up the Magellan Roadmate 6000T. Good size screen, I like the software and interface, but it has had issues, and its only 2 months old.

Started looking for an Acadia, and was on the fence about the in-dash NAV. Decided to take the plunge on it, and have been very happy so far. I like the large screen, in-dash, and its touchscreen too.

I give the GM NAV a 8.5/10. Detractions is lack of portability and some of the Magellan features I like aren't available on the GM version.

Overall, won't ever live without NAV in a vehicle. My wife says the NAV is the only womans voice I'll take directions from.

:blob: :blob: :blob: :blob:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I LOVE THE NAV SYSTEM but for more than just directions i love the radio and the voice actavation and how much better the dash looks with a screen insted of a regular radio. I have nevery had an issue with the nav, always dead on accurate and poi's in my area are up to date.

i just noticed you coppied my name for my acadia.
i decided to call it the silver bullet in february. Looks like we have the same acadia.

Need to get it patened

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maybe mine needs an update.

When I park in front of my house, it has the correct map position, but the wrong address. (3 blocks off) We used it to run up to Bowie Md and it had no problem. It found the house spot on.

I have not tried punching in my address from another location. I'll try that today and see if it gets me home.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My NAV is quite accurate. Have you tried calibrating the compass? See p. 140-142. Yes, might be more accurate if you ask it to take you home.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love the nav. I have the worst sense of direction ever so I use my nav all the time, even when going to a new address in my own neighborhood. It is very accurate, even with tightly spaced houses. I love how you can choose several different routes, and if you get off the route it quickly adjusts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did not get NAV and was wishing I had until I tried the On-Star Directions. Granted the Idea of the Nav screen is cool but If you are going to pay for On-Star anyways it is a great way to save some money on the car.

The other nice feature is you don't have to worry about calibrations and update discs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I find this thread interesting. It's amazing how often some of you use the NAV system. I can only think of one time I would've needed it within the last year. Some other times might've been useful but only if it was portable.

I agree it definitely has the "cool factor" and looks great. I honestly don't think I would use it though besides just keeping it on, for the sake of keeping it on, while driving.

I assume it's used more than just trying to find some place you've never been to before?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to see some good posts in favor of it. We wanted the NAV but didn't want to spend the money if there was a lot of issues with it.

We took the plunge and made a deposit on one Saturday and hopefully pick it Monday.

I've always liked GMC and I drive a 07 SLT Z71 1500 Sierra Classic 4X4 Crew Cab. Took advantage of 0% financing they had during the Presidents sale.

My wife really loves the Acadia and trading her Tahoe in for one of these. I can't believe how fast the dealers are selling these. If you snooze you loose, they're going fast.

07 SLT2B AWD, Carbon Met w/ Ebony Int., HUD, NAV, DVD, SUNROOF, TRL PKG.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only drawback I see about the NAV/Radio so far is the lack of song names when on XM radio. Does anybody know how to get them to appear?

I'm a gadget person, and use the NAV to find my way home from work - just because its cool.

On a side note, during the big blackout a few years ago, when all of the traffic signals were out, I used the NAV in my Yukon to get home on the side streets. Actually made it home faster than many days during rush hour traffic.

I also use the navigation detour feature when I'm stuck in a traffic jam - its comforting to know that I won't get lost in unfamiliar territory and can "off-road" with confidence.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I did not get the NAV system. I am not going to pay $2100 for a glorified map. I love cool gadgets though and had I felt like throwing away some money I might have gotten it. They just seem useless to me, a toy. In the time it would take me to program where I am going, I could be halfway there with a map. Also, I am anxious to try the Onstar turn by turn. This sounds to me like the best option. No buttons to push, just give the address and watch the directions on the HUD. WAY COOL

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have used both the turn by turn and the NAV, and in my opinion they are both worth having. It's nice to use the turn by turn but you may not want to renew your Onstar subscription someday and then the Nav will still be available to you. Also it's nice to just look at the map for quick solutions to navigation problems like seeing if the street you are on will take you to the highway you want to get on. Also if you are just exploring an area and want to see what roads go where you can look at the map and plot a course into the wilderness and find your way back without the hassle of getting lost. Turn by turn is great when you are driving and you need directions and don't want to pull off the road and use your on board system, which only allows you to use some aspects of it while you are not moving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts