GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering whether others are having the same issue. My nav won't say street names while I drive in the city but will say the street name when I drive on the freeway and about to exit that street.
Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's working as intended. For local streets it will only be identify as "next right or left". Exits off of highways are spoken either in street name or exit number. Most navigation systems follow this method, though some pronounce all street names.

I believe the thinking is that on a local street there is plenty of time to identify the "next left or right", whereas going 90 mph on a highway can be a bit tricky and it is more accurate to speak the exit number.

Additionally, unless the program is using text-to-speech, the amount of recorded audio is significantly less for highway exists than every local road known to man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed explanation AcadiaSigma. That was bugging me ever since I got my Acadia last week. If the nav could tell you the street name off the freeway why can't it tell you the street name while driving in the city? Now I know. I still wish it did tell you the street name everywhere, or at least on major streets. I was hoping the updated nav disc would improve on that feature. Can you confirm?
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts