• NAV? What NAV?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my way around a map but the better half gets lost easy. I like the heading up as the top of screen is your directional heading and the map rotates to correspond.

With the north up & heading south everything is backwards if you are not map savy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Prior to using the NAV in the Acadia, I've used a PDA, a Laptop and PC with Street Atlas USA, a Garmin Nuvi, and the Built-In NAV in the Camry.

I liked the North-Up display provided by the PDA, Laptop, and PC, but I really liked the 3-D view that the Nuvi had. When I got the Camry, it didn't have the 3-D view, and I have to use the North-Up display. Even though the Camry and Acadia NAV are done by the same people, the Acadia has the 3-D view, and I prefer it.

There are other features that the Acadia NAV doesn't have that the Camry NAV does have though.... I'll get into that later.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I think you need an option #4) Nav? What Nav? so the rest of us can see the results ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
My Infinity has what you call a birds eye view. Its so far been the best Nav system I have (and friends of mine too) have seen.

I have had the Street Atlas Nav software on my computer for years and it works great, especially for the price. I was real skeptical at first but happen to discover DeLorme's location by accident when I was in Maine a number of years ago. I talked to one of the salespeople their and asked him does this thing really work. He said try it and if you don't think so you could always return it. Wow, was he correct, it works great.

On the Acadia, I haven't noticed the 3D view yet unless I am missing something. How do you get to it? or, is that the view you get when you turn it on. Old age is creeping up on me I guess if thats the view I am getting and don't realize it.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Unfortunately, having the built-in nav system wasn't in my budget. I consulted my budget and it snubbed it's nose at me.

But I was thinking that if I got a stand alone GPS like a tom-tom or what have you, that it would fit very nicely in that dash compartment if I could figure out how to configure a stand for it that would keep it on an angle in there. That'll be a project for when the weather gets warmer. I hate being out in this cold for any length of time.

Right now we use the ol' laptop and GPS unit method, which works, but it's bulky and the lady gets cranky if we go "off route". It sounds like she's saying "aw fruit!" ;D

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
tymj said:
Hey WebRaven!

Looks like one more post will get you promoted!
Ooooooo my 50th post. I should probably make it a good one huh? Unfortunately, I have nothing further to add to this topic at the moment. LOL ::)

Oh wait, sure I do. Does anyone have a stand alone GPS unit? Which ones are the best? Are the best ones necessarily always the most expensive? I don't really want to spend a LOT of money on one, my budget wouldn't have it.

(Happy 50th to me... )

·
Registered
231 Posts
Charlene - congrats on becoming a Jr. Member!!!

I do have a standalone unit, a Garmin C330. I totally love it, and I use it in my older Audi. The controls are very easy, and it does its job very well. It has an internal hard drive, so it has something like 5 million points all over North America, so it's not like the ones where you need to load a new flash card or load new maps. The interface is IMO much easier and simpler than the system in my Acadia, but the Acadia's system is more robust.

I understand the new Garmin units also have Bluetooth integration, the lack of which on GM vehicles I've lamented often enough in this forum :)

I can't speak as to which one is 'the best'. I will say that I love my C330.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Web Raven said:
Yikes! $747 on Amazon.com for the Garmin C330! Okay, my budget doesn't agree with that. Anyone use anything cheaper? ;D
That can't be right - maybe when it was a new model a few years ago. shop around online - I just saw it for $269 at circuitcity.com.

go to cnet.com and it can do some caparitive pricing for you.

also - I didn't infer you should get the 330 - the newer models are probably nicer (and more $$, unfortunately). Shop around!

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I see the one for $269. It's refurbished. What do you think is refurbished about it? I read some reviews and people seem to like it. I read some reviews on the Tom Tom too, but it seems people prefer the Garmin.

Do you just buy the GPS unit or are there accessories that you need to purchase in addition in order to hook it up to the car? I see CircuitCity offers a "hardwire" installation for like 50 bucks. Is that really worth it? I'm GPS naive.

Obviously I have more research to do before making a purchase. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've got the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. I've got the sandbag mount that sits on the dash. There's a power cord that plugs into the power socket in the car. No need for any hardwiring. I like mine because it's portable and I sometimes go geocaching (www.geocaching.com). I also bought the map dvd so that I could load detail maps and points of interest.

For strictly auto use, you should probably go with one of the automotive models (but I don't have any experience with any of them).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't know what the hardwire kit is.....the only possibility I can remember from my C330 was an optional fixed-mount antenna, in case you get weak GPS signals. I didn't need it, and I preferred the regular power cord (plugs into power outlet) so I could take it down and 'hide' it, and also move it between vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I've now taken to searching ebay to try to find a deal on a new GPS unit. LOL I really really would like a GPS to keep in my Acadia, but I'm having a hard time convincing my budget that I should part with the money. *sigh*

·
Registered
231 Posts
I guess it should come down to how much you need one. I rarely get lost - after all, I am a man ::) - but this one was a gift from the wife. I love it, and in the handful of times we've needed it to go somewhere, it's been invaluable. If you often drive in umfamiliar places, I would highly recommend one.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
JohnFitz said:
I guess it should come down to how much you need one. I rarely get lost - after all, I am a man ::)
:D Excuse me, I had to finish laughing before I could post a reply. :p heh

I do very often go on road trips to see the bands that I design sites for and more often than not, they are playing a venue that is in a place unfamiliar to me. I usually Google up directions and check them over again and again until I have them memorized so that I don't get misplaced. (Women don't get lost, they get misplaced.) When we go on a really long road trip, my boyfriend will bring his laptop with the GPS attached, but it's really so bulky to lug that thing around and it'll probably be a cold day in you-know-where before he ever forks up the $$ to buy me a GPS unit. LOL

I guess Google maps will continue to be my friend until I'm willing to part with the $$ for a GPS unit. Maybe I'll just tell my family I want one for my birthday this year, they can collectively purchase it for me. ;D Course, the downside to that is my birthday isn't until December. :-\ By then at least I should be able to make up my mind on which one I want.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Web Raven said:
JohnFitz said:
I guess it should come down to how much you need one. I rarely get lost - after all, I am a man ::)
:D Excuse me, I had to finish laughing before I could post a reply. :p heh
Hehe....I thought that'd get a reaction...

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
coloradoGM said:
I've never been lost either but I have seen a lot of places I didn't plan on seeing. ;D
It's okay. You just took the "scenic" route. I do that quite often. In fact, me and my best friend have an ongoing joke about the Hormel Chili Plant just across the border in WI. Somehow, when on road trips, we've ended up passing that dumb enormous can of chili several times even though it is not actually on the way to my house. There's an split in the highway before it that we should take, but often miss. :-X

1 - 20 of 35 Posts