GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those owners that have posted in any NAV thread this might be of interst to you.

Thanks to our friend from "GROUND ZERO" I was pointed in the direction of the NAV manual.

There is a curious find on p.55. I have confirmed on my side as has acadia7j100001 that the discs in our vehicles are from 2005. This is unacceptable.

Here is what was found.....

From p.55 of NAV MANUAL

Ordering Map DVDs
The map DVD in your vehicle is the most up-to-date
information available when your vehicle was
purchased.
(That's a load of BS). The map DVD is updated periodically,
provided that the map information has changed.
You will receive two free DVD map disc updates
with the purchase of your new vehicle.
[/color] Updates
are necessary to make sure that your vehicle’s
navigation system has the most accurate
information available about streets/roads,
points of interest, and business locations.
The updates are provided by the GM Nav Disc
Center at the first and second anniversary dates of
your vehicle’s delivery date.
About four to six weeks
before those anniversary dates, you will receive a
post card from the GM Nav Disc Center reminding
you that a free update is available. The center will
request confirmation of your mailing address either
by having you contact the toll-free number,
1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472), or the center’s
website, www.gmnavdisc.com.
[/color] After verifying your
address you should receive the updated disc in
about two weeks. After receiving the updated disc,
replace the old disc in the navigation system. See
“Installing the DVD Map Disc” and “Ejecting the
DVD Map Disc” under Maps on page 19. Dispose of
the old disc to avoid confusion about which disc is
the most current.
If you have any questions about the operation of the
navigation system or the update process, call the
GM Nav Disc Center or go to the center’s website.[/color]

If you need any future updates or a replacement
disc, because the current disc is lost, damaged, or
needs to be updated, call the GM Nav Disc Center
or order a new disc online. To order a disc, have
your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available.
This helps the center make sure you receive the
correct and most up to date DVD map disc for your
vehicle. See “Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)”
in the Index of your vehicle’s owner manual for
more information.

So I highlighted some key parts. Acadia7j10001 said he will look into it when he returns from vacation and see what happens. If there is no answer or course of action determined from their I plan on caling the NAV Disc Center and have a little talk with them and get an updated disc.

Please check back here for an updat ein a few days.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is of great interest to me and I'm sure everyone else who is either a member or visitor of the forum and either has the navigation system in their Acadia or is thinking of getting an Acadia with the navigation system. Thank you for your efforts. :thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Joe. The outdated disk is one of a few problems I have with the NAV system. If they resolve this disk issue now for us, I can live with or adjust to the others.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can't get too upset with the disk. I live in a relative new area. Moved here about 3 years ago major building still going on. I bought my Infinity in May of 2003. I replaced the navigation disk last year at a cost of approximately $190 and my area still wasn't on the map, i.e., no streets were listed. On the Acadia nav disk, our streets are listed. I find it interesting that our streets show up on the older Acadia disk and not the newer Infinity disk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also have to comment on this.

As a long time Navi user for a few built in systems (Nissan and GMC), as well as quite a few hand held and mount style GPS systems. The first version of the Nissan system was terrible (2004 Quest). The updates were very few and far between and when the updates did come out, they did very little for me. Now I am in Canada and unfortunately most of the companies are in the US and could give a rats A## about Canada. Nissan uses Zenrin and they are just down right useless. In Nissan's defense, the new system in the Infinity line (G35) is HD based and is a LOT better and they are all moving to this across the whole line. In fact I would say between Honda and Nissan, they are one of the best built in Navi's going.

Now back to the Acadia issue and it's Navi updates. According to my disk I have V1.0. I am not sure if there are mini releases not noted, but I can tell you that this disk is not from 2005. I live in an area that has been built up over the last 10 years. There are streets on my existing map that are still not in my Nissan system. Never mind they were built after 2005. So I am not sure what to say about those saying the disks are from 2005. Unless they went to our city planners and were able to get detailed information about what was going to be built into the future (they could do it but I doubt they did), they have to be 2006 or later.

In the end, I like my Garmin units a lot better than anything that has been built in so far. On the other hand, built in certainly looks better. You never win no matter what! <grin>

Dave...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another quick thing.

While I bashed Zenrin, one of the things they do correct is actually post information about what update they are at as well as what the differences in them are. So if you live in a remote area that is not been affected by the latest update, why buy it. Honda and Acura even post detailed lists of what areas they cover (cities, towns, etc).

Either I am missing it, or that gmnavdisc.com site needs some serious work done to it.

Dave...

P.S. I am bitter for an Easter Sunday I think! <grin>

·
Registered
32 Posts
NY_Joe I posted the following on 3/28/07 under the other NAV System Driving me Crazy Thread:

I found out that GM has a web site where you can purchase updates to your factory installed NAV system. The web site is www.gmnavdisc.com and for $199.00 you can purchase one or you can get your free "subscription" update CD. I don't have an Acadia yet so I don't have a VIN number to provide. The disc they have available for sale for the Acadia is under this description "GM NAV DVD 10396714". Does anyone with a current Acadia NAV disc show that description on theirs? Or would somone be willing to call them at the number provided on the web site to see if this is truly an update to what is being shipped in current models?[/color]

I will ask here again if anyone has purchased this and would be willing to share their experiences I would appreciate it. When I get my Acadia I plan on updating the NAV Disc immediately and not waiting on the "free update" to occur on the first anniversary. I am going to ask the dealer to provide it at no charge as the current version available does not appear to be shipping with new vehicles.[/color]

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did not see it.

Good catch.

acadia7j100001 will work on it from his end as well.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Menu button on t right side.

Select the NAV tab

Select disc information

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for the update info in this thread, NY Joe.
However, a major question is raised by Acadia7j100001's post to
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=603.msg9537#msg9537

Excerpted for brevity--
acadia7j100001 said:
Some info on the nav system...first, I have been assured that the disc is 2007 map info. I was told the 2005 that is being reported was the copyright version...having said that, I need to find out how we can find the disc map date. Stay tuned...I owe you an answer.
So, is the "answer" that it is 2-year-old (or more) NAV disk data, not up-to-date data (as of build) with an original copyright of 2005?? Your post at the top of this thread isn't completely clear.

If these types of data disks are updated only one every two years, isn't it possible that the 2007 version isn't out yet? Certainly the Acadia system would based on 2006 disks at best, if they were available, since production started then.

If it is "old" (2-3 year old data to be specific), and there's a 2007 disk close in the works (or about ready), then I would say that we should be due an extra update disk--and ASAP, not at each of our Acadia's first anniversary. If not, then just the two free ones.

Acadia7j100001 (or one of his compatriots) should weigh in here and clarify completely....
[By the way...I'm not trying to defend GM here...just wanting full and complete information.]

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Thanks for the update info in this thread, NY Joe.
However, a major question is raised by Acadia7j100001's post to
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=603.msg9537#msg9537

Excerpted for brevity--
acadia7j100001 said:
Some info on the nav system...first, I have been assured that the disc is 2007 map info. I was told the 2005 that is being reported was the copyright version...having said that, I need to find out how we can find the disc map date. Stay tuned...I owe you an answer.
So, is the "answer" that it is 2-year-old (or more) NAV disk data, not up-to-date data (as of build) with an original copyright of 2005?? Your post at the top of this thread isn't completely clear.

If these types of data disks are updated only one every two years, isn't it possible that the 2007 version isn't out yet? Certainly the Acadia system would based on 2006 disks at best, if they were available, since production started then.

If it is "old" (2-3 year old data to be specific), and there's a 2007 disk close in the works (or about ready), then I would say that we should be due an extra update disk--and ASAP, not at each of our Acadia's first anniversary. If not, then just the two free ones.

Acadia7j100001 (or one of his compatriots) should weigh in here and clarify completely....
[By the way...I'm not trying to defend GM here...just wanting full and complete information.]
Acadia7j10001 has told me he needs to confirm some things before posting any information and will try and do it this week. However, the people he needs to talk to have vacation schedled around this past holiday.

Once a definitve answer is found , it will be posted.

·
Registered
497 Posts
NY Joe,
Now I'm really confused.

Acadia7j100001 posted this days before your new thread here and the additional commentary.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=217.msg9529#msg9529
acadia7j100001 said:
All...I have been assured that the Nav version is 2007 not 2005 which apparently is the copyright date for the programming...disks are NOT two years old!
There seem to be more threads about the NAV disk date and how current it is as there are smileys!

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Acadia4VA-WV said:
NY Joe,
Now I'm really confused.

Acadia7j100001 posted this days before your new thread here and the additional commentary.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=217.msg9529#msg9529
acadia7j100001 said:
All...I have been assured that the Nav version is 2007 not 2005 which apparently is the copyright date for the programming...disks are NOT two years old!
There seem to be more threads about the NAV disk date and how current it is as there are smileys!
People aren't allowed to make mistakes??

Maybe he was given the wrong information.

As I stated earlier, he needed to confirm some information.

·
Registered
497 Posts
This addendum from Acadia7j100001, needs to be posted here as well.

acadia7j100001 said:
Mr Biz...you are correct...the person who "assured" me was wrong. There are two free disc upgrades available to 2007 Acadia owners...pg 55 of the Nav manual has the instructions. I do want to check to see if the 'wait' is required before getting the first upgrade. I'll let you know what I find!
To see the the full other discussion, go to http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=217.0

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interim Update: I have been digging in to this issue and am not happy with what I've learned so far. I am not happy about the report of "rude" treatment from the DVD center and am working to get this as well as the policy on updates corrected/clarified. Please stay tuned and sorry for the delay!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good luck 001!

Thank you for the updates Joe!

You guys are great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
acadia7j100001 said:
Interim Update: I have been digging in to this issue and am not happy with what I've learned so far. I am not happy about the report of "rude" treatment from the DVD center and am working to get this as well as the policy on updates corrected/clarified. Please stay tuned and sorry for the delay!
acadia7j100001, I really appreciate your efforts. I'll keep an eye open for any updates.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just got my Acadia on monday. The dvd they gave me was the same one everyone else got. So.... I am waiting as well. BTW, I read these pages every day and have been very thankful to everyones insights and help :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK...here's the update you've all been waiting for...and a long explanation. For those who don't want to read the long explanation...here's the direct answer: New Discs will be available at the Nav Disk Center July 1. You may call the number in the Nav book and ask for your replacement after July 1. If ANYONE is treated less than courteously or professionally, please get the persons name that you spoke with and pm me with the information. This time, I have been ASSURED by the person who RUNS the center that folks will be properly treated (sorry Mr. Biz for your treatment!).

Here's the long story: Discs go through a validation process that some might argue is a bit lengthy. That causes data to be "frozen" at a cut off date to make validation and production. Depending on when vehicle production starts (November for Outlook/Acadia) that can result in "old" discs since timing for discs is geared to the June/July model year ramp ups. That's what occured with Acadia and Outlook and is why customers get two free disc upgrades on these models. The Enclave will get the new disc with start of production units which is why the July 1 delay for upgrades for others (need time to build stock and fill distribution channels). The disc will also contain a software upgrade which should correct the "disc error", some color/contrast issues and lock up conditions that some people have experienced. I had the upgrade put into my unit two days ago and immediately noticed better color/contrast. I haven't had any local road issues so I can't comment there. Hope this helps and thanks for your input and bringing the issue to my attention!

1 - 20 of 293 Posts