GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, we got a 'Disc read error' from the Nav system, and although all the radio controls would work, the Nav would not. I had seen the error message once before, but a quick stop/restart of the engine seemed to take care of it.

It worked this morning without a problem.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your disc is probably dirty. Maybe it has a fingerprint on it? Take it out and CAREFULLY clean it, just like you would for any DVD or CD. Then put it back in. It should be fine. If the disc is warped you could also get a 'read error'. In that case, you probably need a new disc. Then it would be time to call your dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was getting the same error every time we turned the vehicle on. When I received this error it would lock up all functions aud, xm, dvd etc. ??? Took it in for service and the dealer replaced the whole nav system but upon picking it up I had the same error. I took it in again this week and this time the just replaced the disc and now everything seems to be working fine. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had that the other night, I had to eject the disc and then put back in - it has worked since. I am going to clean the disc this weekend just to be sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
please mention this the next trip you take to the dealer - there is a new 2008 map disk out that wil help this issue if your map disk was not dirty!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine still does this and I have the new disk. And no, it's not dirty.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I kept getting this disc read error and I would have to open compartment and re-insert disc and it would be OK for awhile. They updated my Nav system at dealer and also ordered new disc. But Like Dan in this forum says, new disc did not fix it. I don't know whether he had the update done that I did. Based on my description of problem the dealer was able to locate a fix of some sort. I am awaiting updated disc, buy since going to dealer do not have problem anymore.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Haven't seen this myself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen that message probably 5 times since I have had the car (March). I've even had it error and reboot while I was driving once...
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1125.0

Seemed turning off and on the car was the only solution, removing the disk was pointless as there wasn't a spec of dust on it. I'm still using the original version, haven't gotten the upgrade.

While I would expect it to never happen, I've thrown it up as an annoyance when it does happen. I'd rather not tell the dealer since I suspect they will want to replace the unit... and I dont like anyone removing anything from my car... they always leave a scratch. (Like the time I did the recall on the power driver seat... only to find a nice deep scratch in the plastic console. :angryfire:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were told that we needed a new cd to update the navigation. After we received it, I install it and it said "Disc read error". I installed the old one again and the same result. Dealer says $1000 to replace unit. I wish I had never touched it in the first place because it would still be working. Arrrggghhh!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,771 Posts
gregwj said:
We were told that we needed a new cd to update the navigation. After we received it, I install it and it said "Disc read error". I installed the old one again and the same result. Dealer says $1000 to replace unit. I wish I had never touched it in the first place because it would still be working. Arrrggghhh!!!!
What another member tried:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=35225.msg455609;topicseen#new

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
This has happened to me several times. Sometimes just turning off the car, give it a minute and restart works. Sometimes I have to take the disk
out, wipe it off, replace and it works. Last time I removed the disk, blew out the compartment with canned air, cleaned the disk well and gently with soap and water. I expect it to happen again.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Do later models still use a disk? I have never really checked, but was under the impression that all was solid state now.

George

1 - 13 of 13 Posts