GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turned the car on this morning I got a message in the DIC indicating I should check my rear left tire pressure...28 PSI. So I get out and inflate it to 38PSI (with a portable compressor), and then I dumped a bucket of soapy water all over the tire. Low and behold there was one location that started blowing bubbles indicating I had a leak....upon closer inspection there was a nail lodged in the tire all the way in. Since the car had sat all night that way and still had 28PSI I new it had to be a slow leak. I took it over to PEP Boys and they repaired it for $13.99. Since the vehicle has 5800 miles on it I told them to go ahead and rotate the tires ($9.99). I got home and realized that they did not adjust the tire monitoring sensors so I decided to tackle that job myself. It actually is very easy..... you just hold down the open and close button on the remote at the same time for a few seconds and the horn will blow. Then in order, you let air out of 1 tire for 5 seconds. and wait for the horn to blow. do this for all tires (in order) and you are done. Re-inflate to proper presure.

....I never even considered a tire monitoring system before but now....I'll never own another car without one.

Key1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I agree. I would never have a vehicle without TPMS. But I need to ask, did the tire repair involve a liquid tire sealant? If so, damage to the TPMS sensors could occur and would not be covered by GM's warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Most places typically plug them unless you ask for them to be patched. I even keep a plug kit in my car for those just-in-case times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Wow. After reading this, I looked in the manual. I did not know you had to change the air pressures on all 4 corners to reset the tpms. I had always thought pushing the button to relearn did it.

Learn something new everyday. :thumb:

I wish all the other cars my wife has driven had TPMS.
She drives me crazy, "honey the car drives rough, the car bounces, the car fill in the blank______", will you check my tires >:D . Just like today, and I gladly checked them :angel: , All were 40psi.

I have not had a air leak yet, but a few weeks ago the "Wife" called telling me there was some pliers stuck in the tire. She was going crazy (a tire thing) & I told her that if she doesn't hear air gushing out, and the TPMS shows correct pressure, to slowly drive it back home. (only 4 miles away). She made it back & I'm like WOW. The handle went in between the tread & cords. I pulled it out but the red rubber grip stayed in the tire leaving a small lump. I rechecked the pressure & sent her back to her trip to the mall. ;D (I knew it was OK and it would help her with her tire fear ::) )

Thanks to the tire insurance I thought I'd never need, the tire was replaced as soon as they could find a 19" to go back on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
84tank said:
....I need to ask, did the tire repair involve a liquid tire sealant? If so, damage to the TPMS sensors could occur and would not be covered by GM's warranty.
Fortunately Pep Boys used what looks like a double plug to fix the leaK. I inflated the tire to 38 PSI about 30 hours ago and it is still holding nicely at 38 PSI.

Key1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way....Since I had marked the tires before rotation (to make sure they actually rotated them)...I have trust issues but that is another story....

I noticed that they just swapped the fronts with the rears on the same side. I know this is a different rotation pattern than the manual recomends but......does anyone know if it really makes a difference?
Key1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
key1cc said:
By the way....Since I had marked the tires before rotation (to make sure they actually rotated them)...I have trust issues but that is another story....

I noticed that they just swapped the fronts with the rears on the same side. I know this is a different rotation pattern than the manual recomends but......does anyone know if it really makes a difference?
Key1
I thought I was the only one who did that ;D

I thought the LF goes to the RR and LR to LF etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
The fronts go directly to the rear and the rears are crossed before installing on the front.
This is to even out the extra wear that the front tires receive.

At 47 miles I was able to witness the TPMS in action. A shard of metal wedged itself into the tread causing a alternate means of removing air from a tire. Luckily a Goodyear Tire Center was around the corner and open on Sunday. The technician removed the tire, cleaned, sanded the affected area and applied a patch. Three tire rotations and 23771 miles later the tire has operated flawlessly.

It's a shame that as a customer, we have to follow up on work performed and/or take steps to ensure work is actually completed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scotted73 said:
The fronts go directly to the rear and the rears are crossed before installing on the front.
This is to even out the extra wear that the front tires receive.
I understand why the fronts go directly to the rears....but why do the rears have to be crossed when they go to the front? Pep Boys did not cross my rears and I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem since the manual indicates they shoul be crossed...
Key1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I understand why the fronts go directly to the rears....but why do the rears have to be crossed when they go to the front? Pep Boys did not cross my rears and I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem since the manual indicates they shoul be crossed...
Key1
Crossing one set allows each tire to "live" in each location. For instance, a right rear (RR) tire will follow this pattern: RR - LF- LR - RF and back to RR. Plus this method allows a tire to run in both directions maximizing its life. Unless the car is equiped with directional (unidirectional) tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
The odd thing is that all 3 of my car manuals say to cross the tires from right to left. I take my cars to the GM dealer where I bought them and they never cross the tires and always only go front to back. I've never figured out why, but they say it is better that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Racefla said:
Wow. After reading this, I looked in the manual. I did not know you had to change the air pressures on all 4 corners to reset the tpms. I had always thought pushing the button to relearn did it.

Learn something new everyday. :thumb:

I wish all the other cars my wife has driven had TPMS.
She drives me crazy, "honey the car drives rough, the car bounces, the car fill in the blank______", will you check my tires >:D . Just like today, and I gladly checked them :angel: , All were 40psi.

I have not had a air leak yet, but a few weeks ago the "Wife" called telling me there was some pliers stuck in the tire. She was going crazy (a tire thing) & I told her that if she doesn't hear air gushing out, and the TPMS shows correct pressure, to slowly drive it back home. (only 4 miles away). She made it back & I'm like WOW. The handle went in between the tread & cords. I pulled it out but the red rubber grip stayed in the tire leaving a small lump. I rechecked the pressure & sent her back to her trip to the mall. ;D (I knew it was OK and it would help her with her tire fear ::) )

Thanks to the tire insurance I thought I'd never need, the tire was replaced as soon as they could find a 19" to go back on.
Well since I had that tire replaced, the dealer that fixed it has called that the road hazard policy would not pay it. I pulled out my policy and gave him the number and told them to try again. A month later the repairing dealer called telling me that they could not get paid and would be willing to take care of it at cost $103. I actually went to pay that but the service rep was on vacation.

I thought that was nice of them and would be willing to pay but wanted to see why the policy I paid for was not covering it. I called Fidelity to ask about it and gave them the policy number. They could not find that policy number :eek: .
I then gave them the number to my extended warranty, and that did not exist either. My VIN number or name was nowhere to be found anywhere in the system :angryfire: .

WTF, I called my selling dealer and after the runaround with several calls with no returns, I got ahold of someone that would look into it. A week later I had to call again and no one ever called back. I finally e-mailed the main dealership/ owner explaining the situation, that I thought I had been fair and was ready to take action if this was not resolved NOW.
Well I got a call back PDQ saying that it was taken care of and I should be in the Fidelity system by the end of the day.

That was 2 Fridays ago. I called Fidelity yesterday and I am still not in the system :banghead: More non returned calls so the gloves have come off and the lid on the can of whip-*** has been removed.

A message has been left with the owner. Better biz has been called. The finance co has been called. GMC has been called. That lawyer guy on the local TV news has been called. And a few others as well.

I have 2 policies in hand worth $2031.00 and someone has put that in their pocket instead of the warranty.

Alan Jay GMC of Sebring has been great in working with me while I try to get them paid for the tire repair.

Michael Holley GMC of Bartow Florida, who I bought my Acadia from on Feb 10th 2007, has charged me $2031 dollars for extended warranty that on June 4th 2008 does not exist.

Fidelity has been great and even expressed that all the dealer has to do is call them.

There is no excuse that the selling dealer has not taken care of this by now.

You all may want to check with your policy just to make sure its active.

Gotta run. Got a call back saying it will be taken care of :eek:hno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
thanks for the heads up Racefla wil call mine ASAP!!!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top