GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After consulting with many detail shops over the years I have listened to many tips and after years of trial and error this is what has always worked the best for me personally.

For washing I always use a car wash soap that has Carnuba wax in it such as Turtle Wax Wash & Shine. McGuires also makes a good one and neither seems to work better than the other and they are all good. I typically buy what ever is one sale.

I have consulted with my local detail shop and every time I ask them what is the best wax available today they always give me a standard answer. "Anything as long as you use it". They use different brands of Carnuba wax such as Rain Dance.

Carnuba wax it good but I think Teflon is better and it sure does last way longer. I go to West Marine boat store and I buy a product called Teflon by 3M. Note it is very expensive but you get what you pay for. The Teflon seems to go at least 3 times as long as Carnuba and even when the Teflon needs to be re-applies it still will always bead water. When the Carnuba is done it wont bead water.

In between Teflon applications the Turtle Wax Car Wash soap helps maintain it. Try this and you will like it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I was in college some 18+ years ago I worked for a small company that detail cars, RV, small aircraft, etc. All they used was an exclusive type product that contained Teflon. The shine and durability was incredible. I still can not believe Teflon based waxes did not take off as I once thought they would back than. I use Meguires and find their product line to have all that I need for the basic applications for my car. I also use Insulator Wax made by Collinte for all my agricultural equipment and it gives that most durable application as well.

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I appreciate the tips guys. I'll be doing the first wash pretty soon and have decided to NEVER bring my Acadia through a standard car wash. Looks like it'll be me, my hose, some good soap, and a bunch of elbow grease. I think I'll look into the teflon also.

Did I read somewhere that I need to wait like a full 60 days from Acadia rolling off the assembly line before I wax for the first time? Something about paint cure time...?

·
Registered
195 Posts
JonTon said:
I appreciate the tips guys. I'll be doing the first wash pretty soon and have decided to NEVER bring my Acadia through a standard car wash. Looks like it'll be me, my hose, some good soap, and a bunch of elbow grease.[/color] I think I'll look into the teflon also.

Did I read somewhere that I need to wait like a full 60 days from Acadia rolling off the assembly line before I wax for the first time? Something about paint cure time...?
........and a step ladder. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
104 Posts
JonTon said:
There are different views on this. But, with base coat/clear coat, i really see no reason to wait so long. When i painted my mustang, sprayed one day, color sanded and buffed with mequiars compounds, then swirl remover the next day and then a good wax within a few days. I also clay barred and waxed my Acadia the first month i had it. The paints used now days are far superior to the old lacquer (very fast dry) or acrylic enamel (that dried very slow) of the old days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JonTon said:
I appreciate the tips guys. I'll be doing the first wash pretty soon and have decided to NEVER bring my Acadia through a standard car wash. Looks like it'll be me, my hose, some good soap, and a bunch of elbow grease. I think I'll look into the teflon also.

Although many new a new car I bought over the years has had a great rub out and wax application from the dealer my current Lambda had not 1 drop of wax on it anywhere but this could have been cause by me rushing the dealer to take delivery.

However many dealers are applying wax to the cars as part of prep and they wouldnt do this if there was a warning on it.
MA

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
First off watch out for the dealer!!!!!!!!
When cars are delivered or taken in for service the dealer will be so kind to have your car washed for you :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

Have you seen most of the Minimum wage people washing, and wiping down cars at the dealership? :banghead: STAY AWAY, cause most of them don't care about your paint job. Tell your dealer not to have some careless porter washing and drying your car, it is easier in the long run to wash it yourself.

Second thing is http://www.paintcarendetailing.com/
This guy is on the forum, gives great advice on his site, as well as on here..
He helped me out with my dilema. http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3153.20
GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I get Ziebart Diamond paint protection (guaranteed for 10 years I think) and never have to wax my vehicles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
MKA said:
I get Ziebart Diamond paint protection (guaranteed for 10 years I think) and never have to wax my vehicles.
Interesting. Never heard of that. Can you expound a little more? I'm always a fan of paying a little more for something if it will save me some elbow grease down the road...

·
Registered
48 Posts
MKA said:
No offense but nothing will last on your paint for 10 years...these "protection plans" are no better than the majority of sealants available over the counter or on the internet....here is a post from a similar thread:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1723.msg32165#msg32165

JonTon said:
Paint does need about 30-60 days to cure before waxing and yes this also includes 2 stage paint -the amount of time you have to wait will depends on the brand of paint, drying method, etc.

For a new car you are fine because by the time they paint, assemble & ship your vehicle, plenty of time has past so you can wax as soon as you get it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
paintcarendetailing said:
Paint does need about 30-60 days to cure before waxing and yes this also includes 2 stage paint -the amount of time you have to wait will depends on the brand of paint, drying method, etc.

For a new car you are fine because by the time they paint, assemble & ship your vehicle, plenty of time has past so you can wax as soon as you get it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My brother is a body repair man, and I agree with him that you should not wax clear coat, this will add swirl marks, small scratches, which over time will make worse. Clear coat doesnt fade like single stage paint. If clear coat looks dull its from very small scratches, usually from washing. Try a swirl removing wax, I use a buffing compound called hand glaze, once a year on darker vehicles, less often on lighter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
leafspring said:
My brother is a body repair man, and I agree with him that you should not wax clear coat, this will add swirl marks, small scratches, which over time will make worse. Clear coat doesnt fade like single stage paint. If clear coat looks dull its from very small scratches, usually from washing. Try a swirl removing wax, I use a buffing compound called hand glaze, once a year on darker vehicles, less often on lighter.
A non cleaner type wax/sealant will not induce scratches or "swirls" into the paint if you use proper applicators and towel.

I agree that washing/drying induced marring is the major cause of dulling and "faded" looking paint...If you use proper washing/drying techniques (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/washing.html) you can maintain a new car look year round.

I disagree with you about a 2 stage paint not needing any protection...yes a clear coat will not oxidize like single stage paint, but it is still susceptible to damage from the environment, organic material (bird poop, tree sap, water spots, etc) and of course clear coat failure. By adding a layer of protection on your paint you can definitely help prevent damage and prolong the life of your paint.

·
Registered
62 Posts
JonTon said:
MKA said:
Interesting. Never heard of that. Can you expound a little more? I'm always a fan of paying a little more for something if it will save me some elbow grease down the road...
I think the Ziebart Diamond paint protection is around $350. I have had it on my last two vehicles (one for 3 years and one for 5 years) and have been very happy with it. If you get their less expensive paint protection it has to be redone yearly.
BTW, JonTon did you take the Acadia with the bench seats and a/c seats?
Mine is now scheduled to be built next week (waiting for a missing part for the Technology Pkg).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts