GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wifes Acadia in for an oil change at the local dealer, simple job, well not so much! While waiting for them to complete, general conversation about likes/dislikes of the Acadia, the service manager mentioned a loud noise from engine when starting Acadia. I mentioned yes when it is cold and it goes away when warm a trait of all my GMC vehicle experience. That led to a power steering pump needing replacement. A week later when I brought it back to do repair, thinking they said 2 hours I would give them 4 before going back. Surprise, while the service manager was checking out car, he asked the mechanic to clean off oil on underside of engine, his words thinking it was from oil change week before, find out NO IT IS TRANNY LEAK :banghead:, so know another trip to dealer next week when parts come in again. Bad news is it needs the repairs, the great news is the local dealer has been very proactive looking the Acadia over completely and not just doing the original task of oil change. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The noise description sounds like "piston slap", I know it was an issue in some LT1 V8 motors in the 90's. Good they are paying attention to stuff like that.

Since it's not in your signature, what year is your Acadia & how many miles? Are you the original owner?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
gickster said:
Took the wifes Acadia in for an oil change at the local dealer, simple job, well not so much! While waiting for them to complete, general conversation about likes/dislikes of the Acadia, the service manager mentioned a loud noise from engine when starting Acadia. I mentioned yes when it is cold and it goes away when warm a trait of all my GMC vehicle experience. That led to a power steering pump needing replacement. A week later when I brought it back to do repair, thinking they said 2 hours I would give them 4 before going back. Surprise, while the service manager was checking out car, he asked the mechanic to clean off oil on underside of engine, his words thinking it was from oil change week before, find out NO IT IS TRANNY LEAK :banghead:, so know another trip to dealer next week when parts come in again. Bad news is it needs the repairs, the great news is the local dealer has been very proactive looking the Acadia over completely and not just doing the original task of oil change. :thumb:
Sorry to hear about your Acadia problems. :-\ It can be frustrating, but at least the dealership knows what the problems are and they are fixing them. It really sucks when you know there's an issue, but no one can seem to pinpoint it and you keep going back...

Last year, my dealership found a small tranny leak during a routine oil change as well. They had to replace a seal. Twice. Luckily they had them in stock. They replaced it once, it still leaked (same day), so they took it back apart and replaced it again. So far so good. Each time I bring it in for an oil change, I ask them to check for any tranny leaks, just in case. :)

I've had my power steering pump replaced as well. And it's been great for a long time now, but I can hear a faint whine starting back up again. Since it's out of warranty now, I think I'll just check the fluid and top it off if necessary. I know that has eliminated the whine for some people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the latest on the wifes Acadia. Two weeks in shop and still in the rental car. First they had to wait for special tool to remove trans???? Then they said they found an engine seal leak ??? Will take another week :banghead: This is getting old, 25,000 miles and have had power steering go out, tranny leak and now engine leak, will keep close eye on all fluids from now on, want everything taken care of before out of warranty.

I guess one bright side is the local chevy dealer who I trust is at least checking for the problems and not just fixing the obvious and giving car back. Down side is wish local GMC dealer, I trust, was closer then 4 hours away, would help with the delay in parts and tools

·
Registered
635 Posts
Would still be helpful to know what you have. The Chevy dealer should have the same parts and tools as they are shared by the Traverse. I am glad they are trusting for you, but they or GM should have made sure they had the correct tools before they started selling the Traverse.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
gickster said:
.......one bright side is the local chevy dealer who I trust is at least checking for the problems and not just fixing the obvious ......
One down side that may still be true is - dealer service departments are not supposed to 'sell' warranty work. That is what hungry dealerships do to keep the techs busy. On the other hand, picking up on recalls and campaigns is a legitimate practice. I would be a little leary about going to a shop that practices 'warranty selling' to keep their numbers up and bottom line in the black. Every time you go to one of those shops, they will find "something wrong."
:eek:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
The noise description sounds like "piston slap", I know it was an issue in some LT1 V8 motors in the 90's. Good they are paying attention to stuff like that.

Since it's not in your signature, what year is your Acadia & how many miles? Are you the original owner?
I've read about piston slap in the V8s from the 90s. Let's hope none of the 3.6L are developing that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
gickster said:
Here is the latest on the wifes Acadia. Two weeks in shop and still in the rental car. First they had to wait for special tool to remove trans???? Then they said they found an engine seal leak ??? Will take another week :banghead: This is getting old, 25,000 miles and have had power steering go out, tranny leak and now engine leak, will keep close eye on all fluids from now on, want everything taken care of before out of warranty.

I guess one bright side is the local chevy dealer who I trust is at least checking for the problems and not just fixing the obvious and giving car back. Down side is wish local GMC dealer, I trust, was closer then 4 hours away, would help with the delay in parts and tools
No seal should take a week to get. GM will reimburse the dealer to overnight the parts because in most cases (excluding say a transmission assembly) the overnight freight is going to be a heck of alot cheaper than another day of rental.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts