GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a huge deal, but the Acadia vibrates very strongly when one of the back windows is down. Am I the only one? Does anyone know what would cause that?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is that the wind buffeting - does it make your eardrums feel like they are going to explode? Or, something else?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole car shakes. It doesn't affect my ears, but it does make me vibrate. I've never experienced something like it before. I've driven 6 other 4 doors in my life (3 of which were SUVs) and never had this happen.

It is a very recent discovery because my kids just started asking me to roll down the windows. It was pretty disturbing the first time, but it does stop immediately when the window is rolled up. (It does it with just one down or both.)

Kind of odd..... ???

·
Registered
389 Posts
Deanne - the first time we had this happen in the Acadia it freaked us out - it was when we took it home for a couple of days. I posted about it - it really shook and vibrated the crap out of our heads and ears. Everyone suggested it was normal wind buffeting. I didn't know the exact term, do now, and i have felt it ever so slightly in my 4 door accords but NOTHING like in the Acadia. So, I have not driven one for a couple of weeks but I would be interested to see what others say to you about it. It was like the air pressure had shifted violently. I think if you put the front windows down it can help to balance it but I may be wrong.
I googled it quickly and found this thread:

http://www.topix.net/forum/autos/chrysler-pacifica/T159JCS1143Q2QOL0

Apparently it is very common, above 40 MPH, from sedans to high profile SUV's and the solution that was offered from an owner's manual was to open opposite windows. It is an aerodynamics thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Happens on my 2007 Ford Escape as well as the prior year models. My kids will put a window down and it feels like your eardrums are about to blow out. You simply crack another window (like the driver window) and the pressure equalizes.

Totally normal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Meredith....and everyone else. I have never heard of wind buffeting. I will test it with different windows today and report back.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had it in my Acura MDX - and it is present in the Acadia, it is not really any type of flaw just the way air moves - there is a big cavern behind the rear seats that is why wind buffeting is more severe in SUV's, it does seem more severe in the Acadia as compared to the MDX but I think it just has to do with the shape and aerodynamics of the vehicles.

Yes Meredith you are a right, if you slightly open the front windows or even the sunroof if you have one it does diminish the effect, this provides the air another avenue to escape and releases some of the pressure built up in the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you have the sunroof...open it in vent mode. that should make it quit.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've never had a car that vibrates with the back windows down but both mine and my wife's car thrum. Opening, even slightly, another window or venting the sunroof gets rid of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts