GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Acadia from the dealer yesterday afternoon, in the middle of some pretty bad snow here in Chicago. I had ordered a fully loaded SLT2… every option except for the Engine Block Heater. The color I chose was Carbon with Ebony interior. I sort of ordered this car, as many of you have, without really getting to see or try out all of the features since dealers didn’t have many, or any, of them. I had previously test driven an Outlook and a base model FWD Acadia.

Despite the bad weather, I took it for a drive last night to see how it would perform in the snow and at night. I drove it again this morning on my way into work… the road was still slushy and traffic sucked, but the sun was out and bright! Here are my first impressions and experiences thus far…

Fully loaded, I’ve got to say I love the style of this car… from inside to out. Every detail seems to be handled nicely. I read several reviews that have compared the Acadia to a luxury vehicle… but to be honest, the base model I test drove didn’t feel that refined or luxurious. But, the turn signal lights on the mirrors, all of the buttons and doodads on the dashboard, and the navigation screen really give this fully loaded vehicle the luxury feel they described.

Size/Space: I know I test drove the two mentioned above, but it really hit me yesterday on just how large this vehicle is. The style gives it a low profile which is deceiving. Park it in your garage or next to a regular car and you see quite a difference. The inside is equally spacious. Both the driver and passenger have ample room to wriggle around. Though I haven’t sat in the 2nd or 3rd row for a drive just yet, there looks to be more than enough room back there. Highlights include: plenty of headroom; excellently placed and padded arm rests on both the doors, and middle console; comfortable seats with a decent balance between firm and soft; and a nice lumbar that can be moved up, down, in, and out.

Navigation: It’s a pretty good system with all of the things you would expect from a nav system. The routing seemed accurate and the prompts timely.
There are 3 available views, North Up, Vehicle Direction Up, and 3D.
A cool feature, if you have the Heads Up Display, is that when a turn approaches it will display an arrow and a bar indicating the distance till the turn inside the HUD.
It does not let you search by address or by POI while the car is in motion; but unlike a rumor I read, the car does NOT need to be in Park for this feature to work. You simply must come to a complete stop.
A couple of nitpicks: I wish the screen would be a little larger; and I would have also like to have seen the navigation screen located higher in the vehicle… where the airvents are located would have been ideal… where it is at now is a little far down and you loose sight of the road when looking at it.

HID: I wasn’t expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. The light is a pure white and brought out colors in the road a little better. In particular, the snow was a little easier to tell from other objects. The biggest thing I noticed was the distance and coverage area was much larger than other vehicles I have driven and being able to seem more is certainly a good thing. I also stood in front of the car with the lights on. While they are pure white, they were also focused well and did not blind me.

HUD: Very cool. There are 3 views. Speed with outside temp and current gear, just speed, or speed with tachometer. When a song playing on XM would change, the name of the song and channel I was listening too would be displayed in the HUD for about 10 seconds. Also, when using the navigation, an arrow and the distance to the next turn would be displayed when approaching the turn. I was unsure if I would like or even use the HUD, but so far I’ve found it quite useful.

Traction: Very impressed! I drove through about 3-4 inches of snow and slush. Occasionally I would hear a quiet noise and feel a tap back on the accelerator as stabilitrak was working to keep me on course. **When driving in my FWD trade-in before I picked up the Acadia, I was sliding all over the road and was limited to doing about 30 MPH so long as I stayed in the ruts created by the cars in front of me… If I accidentally drifted out of the rut the car would pull and I was forced to slow down to keep from spinning out.** With the Acadia it didn’t really seem to matter. It could drive in the rut, or snow and never experienced any sliding. Occasionally the Acadia would begin to pull one way, but would quickly correct itself. I was able to drive at 40 MPH without feeling out of control at all. Going around turns was even more amazing. In my trade-in I would fishtail around every turn. By no means did the Acadia have perfect traction while going around turns but I could clearly hear the stabilitrak kick in and keep the Acadia going in the direction I wanted. For grins I even took it to a 4-5 inch snow covered parking lot. Taking sharp turns at low-medium speeds, I could certainly feel the car loosing its grip... and it would waver from side to side a bit. But overall I never felt out of control and the car always went in the general direction of where I was asking it. AWD and stabilitrak are a great match! I’ve also read people who think they are supposed to turn Stabilitrak off in the snow… you are only supposed to turn it off if you get STUCK and need to rock the vehicle out. It is then that you want full power to all wheels. But for normal driving in snow you are supposed to leave it on, unless you are trying to do donuts!

Sound system: I’ve got to admit I’ve never been a big fan of Bose. The sound in the car sounds really good… but not home theater great. The Bose products I have encountered are famous for having a really good, but somewhat flat sound. The same applies here. You can adjust Treble, Mid, and Bass. I found moving Bass and Treble up about 3 notches produced the best sound. The range of the bass seemed to be rather limited, some songs would get the woofer really going… even enough to vibrate the rearview mirror. And other songs were outside its range and I wouldn’t get very much from it. The high range seemed like a tweeter or two were missing. Overall I am happy with it, but I think there is some room for improvement.

Sunroof: After reading postings here, I started to wonder if I was wasting my money on this. After having seen it, I’m glad I got it. The front is located over the driver and passenger, and the second is over the 2nd row. Both have a thin screen that slides over it to screen/block light. The screen looks stylish, but seems fragile. I’m a little concerned with 2nd row passengers poking at it.
Since it is 4 degrees out, I didn’t bother to open/vent the front sunroof. It’s also not 100 degrees with bright sun… so I can’t accurately comment on the effectiveness of the screen, but it seems to do a really good job of keeping the light out.

Heated Windshield Washer: AWSOME! Last night at the dealer we sat outside in the car in the snow while the dealer when through the interior options. After our 30 minute intro, the snow had turned to ice. I tried the wipers, which cleared the snow, but left the sheet of ice. I hit the heated washer button… waited about 25 seconds… then hot liquid shot out at the windshield! Then the wipers cleared the ice/water away to leave a clear windshield!! Too add to the cool factor, a cloud of steam formed and wafted over the hood of the car and the windshield… made it look like an unveiling you might see with a fog machine.

If I figure out anything else cool or worth posting, I will. Also, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to find out.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Great review. Thanks for the comments, and enjoy your Acadia! Post some photos when you can.

Kelly

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great post! Many thanks for taking the time to post this detailed review..

Adam Boca

·
Registered
626 Posts
Last edited 7:56pm[/color]:
What you said. Great post.

I have had my Carbon-Brick SLT-2 for 5 days and agree with your opinion. Except as you can see from my ptotos I've posted, I'm in green grass & palm tree Florida so heck with the snow stuff ;D

Last night I thought I would try out the captains and figure out how the headphones work. I turned Spongebob Square Pants the Movie on and got the sound to work, figured out how to switch to the radio and listen while the movie played. I found the seating to be plenty roomy. I even flipped the arm rest up and made it to the 3rd seat with no problem at all. While its a tighter fit back there, if you move the captain forward a little it helped a lot. Try that with my old Expedition 3 row ???

My wife even noticed it starts funny. When you turn the key nothing really happens it's so quite....but it starts. She says she never knows if it started or not.

The NAV really makes this car shine to me. Of course I've never had it, but the whole car seems like its tied into that system. I learned that I could change XM channels by voice commands. Cool. Add that with the HeadsUp & it wow's me[/color].

The ride is firm and at speed not jarring, but rough RXR tracks will bive you a good bump. Has very little body lean in corners. This could be that being so new (400mi) the suspension is still tight. Maybe I'm used to the plush ford ride. But it reminds me of my old 86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo & 98 Neon R/T.[/color]

It's very quiet at speed with barely any noticable wind noise.
The jury is sitll out on the sunfoofs and summertime. But I have used it more than I ever did on our PT. Maybe because it's been great waether for it, or it is just higher above my head than the PT. The cruiser's roof is angled down & it acts like an air scoop. You do get some noise with it open but not bad. Closing it shows how quiet this car really is. [/color]

I'm no sound expert so the Bose sounds great to me. Especialy with a movie in the slot and the 5.1 surrond kicks in.

I have yet been able to find my seat position. The left foot dead pedal is comfortable but seems like I have to sit back more because of it. Still playing with that & telescoping steering wheel. The exit mode goes way too far back & I have to hit the stop buttom. The first few times it went all the way back & then reclined flat :eek:. I guess I'll get all adjusted after reading some more.[/color]

Fuel mileage is almost double from mytrade in. Best 23+ so far dropping to 20+ around town on the first tankfull.[/color]

I have a habit when I wash & clean my cars to open the hatch & crank up the XM. The rear radio,,, correction-(entertainment)-controls are a good plus. I can turn it up, change channels, turn on the movie etc. Only thing missing is a beer...um I mean cup holder ::) I cleaned the inside windows tonight & whipped the lawnchair out and jammed some untill the grandkids crawled into it & I had to put SpongeBob on :)[/color]

Very Very satisfied so far.

My 73 year old dad is a little mad because my Acadia is more loaded than his month old non-NAV non-HUD $60k 07 Escalade :eek: But he does have AWD & 403hp under the hood. :eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great post!

I wasn't considering HUD but what you said, it is on my list now!

By the way AcadiaSigma are you a GM employee or dealer, cause you certainly sound like one in this review ;D just busting your chops. ( I am already sold, so I dont care, and I havent even test driven it yet!)

Thanks,

·
Registered
215 Posts
coopermine said:
yup. I didn't care if mine came with HUD or not but the one I ended up with had it and I like it alot. Didn't think it would matter but I'm glad I have it now!

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
coopermine said:
I would never have ordered the HUD had I not seen it on a test drive. It's actually very cool and helpful.

Kelly

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
The one we test drove had HUD and it was plainly visible in the middle of the day. There's also a brightness fader knob so you can turn it completely off, very bright or anywhere in between. If you're on the fence about this option, I'd suggest you go test drive one with it. It's pretty awesome. I kind of wish we got it after seeing it... Like most people on here have said, it seems gimmicky at first, but it becomes an intuitive extension of the instrument panel in just a few minutes. You don't even realize you're using it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Excellent review. I already have one and still enjoyed hearing your thoughts. You review was probably more real world than many of the professional reviews out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts