GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I started out in Portland Oregon this morning at 0730 with the intent of getting to Burley Idaho by 5:30 PM. That is 592 miles in about 10 hours. Boy, was I wrong. First, the start out speed for towing with a new Acadia is a recommended 50mph. GAH! That is for the first 500 miles too! Now, I started out with that, but by about 2pm I was getting tired of put putting around. The speed limit was 65 and so I brought it up to about 55 after 200 miles. When I entered Idaho at 370 miles I was up to 60. At 400 I was at 65. So shoot me! I rarely went above 65 unless I needed to pass someone up who was going 64mph. In Idaho the speed limit is 75 but I stayed at 65. So, I finally arrived 13 hours later in Burley! That was with 2 one hour stops for lunch and dinner.

Now on to performance. I was towing a Honda Civic with a weight of 2400 pounds, towed with a dolly weighing in at 350 pounds. Add in family of 4 and all of our luggage and I imagine I was running an additional 800 pounds for a combined total of 3550 pounds. At first I didn't have the tow/haul button on because I was on very flat terrain but after consulting with the service department of the dealer where I bought the vehicle I turned it on. Overall, I am pleased with the vehicles performance. It stayed at about speed but when I hit some big hills it took a few for it to downshift and get back up to speed. I had to press the gas a bit sometimes but that was for the steeper grades. The shifting was smooth and the interior was pretty quiet. I averaged around 17-19 mpg depending on the terrain and had about 412 mile radius. The tow/haul mode worked on the downgrades and even when I was just coasting downhill barely went faster than 5 mph over what I was originally going at.

The Rear entertainment system was a lifesaver as I have a 2 and 4 year old who really were bored. The stereo overall was very pleasent. The bluetooth worked flawlessly and the Nav was incredibly helpful and full of information! The seat was comfortable even after several hours sitting. The whole driving experience was outstanding. The only real complaint I have is the noise of using a dolly to tow my Civic. On bumpy roads I was sure my dolly was just going to vibrate right off the hitch!

This is just day one. I got 3 more days of driving ahead of me! I will post tomorrows update here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: My first 591 Miles of 2000 on the freeway/UPDATE Day 2. 583 miles

Today on mostly hilly terrain the Acadia performed beautifully. At times I nearly forgot that I was pulling the Civic. The gas mileage was definitely better than expected! I was averaging 20.1 mpg and I was up three decent sized hills. 4500 feet, 5800 feet, and 8500 feet. My average speed was 65 mph.

I used Onstar today for the first time and I can definitely see the convenience factor of this. Though I wouldn't keep it up all the time but only when traveling. Bluetooth works just as it should and is a wonderful thing to have unless you two noisy toddlers in back that are not wanting to let you talk! :eek: The cruise control worked flawlessly. Though I found out that it does drop it when the AWD activates.

I only have one question. Does the vehicle come with an additional transmission cooler? Tomorrow I am facing a special day as there is snow here in Wyoming today and it is due to stay for the night. Tomorrow I think I will be using my AWD a bit more. I will let you all know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Re: My first 591 Miles of 2000 on the freeway/UPDATE Day 2. 583 miles

thenachobro said:
I only have one question. Does the vehicle come with an additional transmission cooler?
I don't think so. From what I can dig up, if you have the V92 Trailering Pkg you get a larger capacity radiator with an internal transmission oil cooler. Those without the trailering pkg still get the internal trans oil cooler, just the whole radiator isn't as large. Just a guess from what I can find right now. My wife drives the Acadia almost all the time so I can't run out and look at to see if there's any type of external cooler. ;)

This is taken from the Cooling System Description and Operation :

The transmission oil cooler is a heat exchanger that is located inside one of the radiator end tanks. The transmission fluid temperature is regulated by the temperature of the engine coolant in the radiator. The oil pump pumps the fluid through the transmission oil cooler feed line to the oil cooler. The fluid flows through the cooler where the engine coolant absorbs heat from the fluid. The fluid is then pumped through the oil cooler return line back to the transmission.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. My temp is right in the middle and pretty much stays there. I have had no problems pulling my civic and I am sure I could push the Acadia more but I just don't feel comfortable doing it. I think though that I got a young 2009 Acadia and only have 4500 pounds pulling capacity instead of the 5200. Doesn't matter much because I won't be pulling anything that large ever!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts