GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased our Acadia in March of this year. It has been in the shop about 5 times since. There has been a knocking noise and they claim they now know what is wrong and it is the strut mounts. They ordered those parts so hopefully it will be fixed the next time we bring it in. I had another complaint about the passenger air bag. It doesn't always turn on when someone is sitting in the seat. THey have told me that it's because I don't weigh enough or I am sitting incorrectly. Now I know that I weigh plenty and I can be sitting straight up and nothing. Any one else have this problem?? I have had to have several other small things replaced also, but I can't remember everything right off hand, but it was nothing major. Before I bought this Acadia I had a 2000 Galant that had no problems whatsoever....it's kind of depressing that I spent a lot more money on this vehicle and it keeps having these issues :-[

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had a similar passenger airbag issue that happened one time and that was the last. Nothing was done on the vehicle. It just happen to go away after re-started the engine when I reached my 2-mile or so destination.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would say you have a problem. I have not noticed anything similar on mine, or any prior cars. The light does take a second or two to go out or on when a person is added or removed from the chair, but that is normal.

It's unfortunate you are having several problems... hopefully they correct them to your satisfaction. If they continue to tell you that you are sitting wrong, have someone else try out the seat. Does the problem still manifest? Also ask them to let you sit in another Acadia on the lot and see if that one does it the same way.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Is the seat too far back or forward? I believe the book mentions that if you are sitting to close or too far back it disengages the airnag

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding...The airbag light issue has never happened with my husband, but has happen when a coworker sat in the seat. I will take you suggestions and try them out and will let you know if it resolves itself!!

Have a great day!

·
Registered
730 Posts
kram said:
I had a similar passenger airbag issue that happened one time and that was the last. Nothing was done on the vehicle. It just happen to go away after re-started the engine when I reached my 2-mile or so destination.
I spoke too, soon. :banghead:
I was driving I-95 South today...needed a drink so I stopped by one of the service area. When we get back, "SERVICE AIRBAG" came on the dash. Passenger airbag remains off. Pushed the blue button and was advised to take it to the dealership the very next day..the advisor mentioned about some problem in the airbag inflation system..it may fail to inflate should there be an accident.
Turn the engine on and off..still the same. :angryfire:
Trip to the dealership tomorrow..dang, I might be riding the same Buick Lesabre again! :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to the forum, I registered to see if anyone else was having a problem with their passenger side airbag system. I purchased my Acadia 5 months ago and for the past couple of months my dealership has been trying to fix a passenger side airbag problem. When I have a passenger or sometimes if my husband is driving it and I am in the passenger side the system shows the passenger side airbag is not working! My service manager has spoken to several engineers and they are all saying that they have NEVER had this problem with any other Acadia. The issue is that we can not recreate the issue however, my service manager had seen for himself that the system does not always work. I am interested in seeing what other people with the same problem are being told (I can not be the only one with this problem).

Thanks

PS- I have had the recall on the airbag sensor done.

·
Registered
730 Posts
So I went to the dealership as mentioned. Of course, they were not able to replicate the issue. As directed, they called Onstar and they were able to download two logged error codes pertaining to the airbag system. They did nothing and I was asked to come back should it happen again.

What recall on airbag sensor?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There was a voluntary recall by GM on Feb 24-07, all vehicles built and sold up untill that point were to have a reprogram done. I spoke to my dealership a few moments ago and the funny thing is my service manager says that GM says that my vehicle is the only complaint about this issue to date. Any chance you could tell me what dealership you took your vehicle to to help prove we have an issue? Any help would be appreciated because, at this point they do not know were to start to fix the problem and it is happening more often, and it is obviously a safety issue!!!

Shells

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Acadia was built May 07. I have had it for four months now and had a One time passenger air bag situation the third week.
The bag light didn't come on when my daugher got in BUT I had picked her up curbside in a hurry and I never put the car in PARK so I thought maybe we confused the computer. She weighs 97LBS. and it is otherwise always on. I'll have to try that again with my husband just to see if it is because it wasn't in park. By the way Shame on me, god forbid I rolled she could have gotten hurt.
lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm somewhat relieved to see now that I am not the only one with the airbag problem. They have not be able to duplicate the problem, but if it happens again I plan on using OnStar to try to figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also used ONSTAR when the passenger airbag problem occured however, all they told me was that remotely the system seemed to be working but they told me to take it to my dealership to be checked ASAP. At the moment my Acadia is at my dealership (they rented me an Impala-I miss my truck!!) they are going to start in their words "start throughing parts at it" to try and fix the problem. THey keep telling me that mine is the only Acadia with an airbag problem. Obviously that is not the case. Keep me posted on your problem.

:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello! As I discussed in earlier posts I am still having problems with my passenger side airbag! Now I am being told they do not know what they are going to do next to correct the problem! (new wiring harness did not fix the problem) In the last 5 weeks my Acadia has spent 3 weeks sitting in mydealers lot! Is anyone else having issues? Or, does anyone have a suggestion? Anything would help at this point!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Shells,

Have they tried changing out the seat or the mechanism in the seat that makes is know that someone is actually sitting there? I honestly don't know exactly how the system understands that there is a passenger in the seat and it should activate the airbag, but I would assume that there is some sort of a pressure based switch. If that is the case, it would seem to me that would be one of the first places they would swap out as part of a debugging the problem.

Regards,
k

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had this problem in a previous car. The seat basically weighs the item sitting in it. They had to recalibrate the "weight scale" in the seat. Example...the airbag shuts of if someone weighs less than 80 pounds. The seat was out of calibration, so someone weighing 100 pounds only showed up as 75 pounds to the computer. Thus, the airbag was shut off.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Did they try to replace the seat?

·
Registered
110 Posts
kram said:
Did they try to replace the seat?
If your asking me, they placed 80 pounds on the seat then calibrated the computer system to show that weight as the starting weight to enable the airbag system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to all who responded! They did not replace the seat but, they replaced the mechanism in the seat. They thought that was faulting however, after picking up my car on Friday morning it began doing it again that evening! I love my Acadia but, after 5 months of working on this problem I am really not sure how much more I supposed to put up with. I am once again dropping it off at the dealership today for them to try and recreate the problem. The thing of it is that sometimes the system works sometimes it does not! At this point they do not know how long they will have to keep it to figure out what to do next! GM is still telling me that my car is the only one with this problem! Any more ideas would be helpful!

Thanks,
Shell

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok guys, Driving my new 2009 SLT-2 Acadia across country. 1000 miles on the car so far. We have hit a few snags along the way. The most concerning, though, happened when I sat down to do some work.

First, I plugged in my laptop DC adapter. My computer registered that it was plugged in, but not charging....

Then, I plugged in through the 120V AC. We got the "Service Air Bag" message and the passenger air bag indicator said off (where I was sitting). It oscillates between on and off every minute or so. My computer power supply says 80Watts Max. The manual mentioned 120Watts max, I believe for the AC port.

I plugged in my wife's laptop (which needs significantly less power) using the same AC adapter (mine is a 17" MacBookPro, hers is a MacBook, you can interchange the power adapter). No problem.

Anyone else have this sort of problem (airbag malfunction due to power)? I am really scared to use this port in case something else malfunctions, but sort of depend on it to get work done during our trip.

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have had the pass airbag switch to off while my wife is in the seat as well.
Dealer says they cannot duplicate it and they have never seen this issue before...
frustrating, because my wife is pregs and God forbid we get in an accident and the airbag doesn't go off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts