GMC Acadia Forum banner

My Acadia will not crank!

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Copperhead13 
#1 ·
:eek:hno: On this past Saturday, I drove to Manassass, Virginia to visit some friends. On my way to Virginia my check engine light came on. The Acadia made it to Manassass and I was also able to drive back to Maryland. Once I got home, I turned the car off and went into my house. I came back to my car to get some things out and my dashboard was still lite up like I had the car on. I put my key into the ignition and somehow turned the car off. On Sunday morning, I tried to crank the car and it wouldn't crank. I'm upset because I shouldn't be having this issue because the car is not even a year old yet. Has anyone in here experienced this problem? I had the car towed to the GMC dealership this morning, but the car hasn't been taken into the shop yet for a diagnostic. I'm starting to hate that I bought an American car.

#3 ·
Why is it when an American car has a problem everyone focuses on the fact its an American car. But when its a Japanese or German car its still a great car maker, just got a bad one. Check out the consumer ratings and repair records. GM recently beat out Toyota in total quality. Many Japanese and German cars have issues too.

Coming up on a year with my Acadia soon. 13,000 miles. not one issue

#4 ·
I think the reason the perception about American cars is low is that the American cars were really lower quality for a long time. Now that the American cars are as good, and many cases better, it will again take a long time for the perception to turn around.

I do know that our 2008 Acadia got a "recommended buy" from Consumer Reports but my buddy's 2008 Toyota Camary V6 did not due to problems with engine quality. And yet if you talked to the general public, they would think that his Camary would have gotten a better rating than our Acadia. Personally I think they are both great vehicles.

#6 ·
Most of the Japanese cards are now built in the US - for US consumption, so "foreign" company, American built...I'm surprised that IF there is still an edge on "quality" that the quality hasn't levelled out by now. The only way I believe a company can have an edge is the company the removes the human from the build process and focuses them on quality control. But then again, that just dummies down the workforce...

#7 ·
JasonM said:
You might want to correct the statement about the Camry. They originally did have a recommended buy rating, but it was pulled after further problems.
You are right. I should have mentioned that. For Toyota, they were putting recommended buy on all Toyotas before even seeing the data because the expected them to be good. So now Toyota has lost that benefit and will now need to earn the recommended buy for their cars.

#8 ·
kram said:
Sorry to hear about your issue.
You could have called Onstar for "on the spot" diagnostics..or did you? I hope nothing major happened.
My car would not crank so I didn't try to call onstar. The car is still at the GMC dealership today. They still haven't determined the problem. They tried to see if it was the battery and it's not the problem. It may be something electrical. One of the guys at the dealership said that it seems like it may be a transmission issue. I shouldn't be having a transmission issue with a new car.

#9 ·
I think the car does not need to be started to be able to use Onstar as long as you can switch to "on" position and Onstar buttons are lit.
Could just be electrical..

#10 ·
My car has been fixed. The technician said that somehow water had gotten into the fusebox somehow through the driverside windshield. Hopefully this problem will not happen agaim. I'm glad. I'm tired of driving the rental they provided. I'm driving a Chevy HHR and the car is too small. The Acadia has spoiled me with the room that it provides.

#11 ·
I can remember a recall quite a long time ago that dealt with leaks into the engine compartment from the windshield area. I took mine in for that. But I had one of the very early Acadias and I thought they fixed that problem after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.