GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking at Acadias for awhile now but have been waiting for the 2008s before we bought. The options we were interested in were Summit White, remote start, rear parking assist, rear audio controls, DVD system, tri-zone climate control, & power driving and passenger seats. While my wife really liked the leather, we couldn't afford the upgrade to the SLT and figured we could add custom leather later on. Late Friday evening July 27, we hammered out what I thought was a pretty good deal for a 2008 SLE Summit WHite, Ebony Cloth with all these options. The vehicle was 60 miles away at another dealership and "locked down" by my dealership. They would pick it up Saturday morning and I'd have it Saturday afternoon. So we signed the contracts I gave them a down payment and left my trade and took a loaner home.

Saturday afternoon I called them to see if it was there yet... they had some trouble finding someone to get it, etc but that they'd definitely have it by Monday. I was fine with putting miles on and sporting their $45K Acadia loaner so I didn't mind.

Monday morning the Sales Manager called and wanted to know where the loaner was because the other dealership would only do the trade for a fully loaded white diamond tricoat Acadia... which happened to be what the loaner was. I told him my wife had it at work and they could pick it up there. So they swapped it out with a loaded Yukon and said they should have our vehicle at around 6:00pm.

We were in the area at 6:00pm, hadn't heard from them, so we stopped in. The Sales Manager said they had another problem. The other dealer thought he was getting a 2008 white diamond tricoat Acadia in exchange for his 2008 Acadia, but in fact it was a 2007. So they won't do the deal except for that specific vehicle. I had a few words with the manager for selling me a vehicle that he didn't properly lock down. He claims he's been searching non-stop for a vehicle to match it somewhere else. He'll do something for us to make up for all the trouble, he doesn't know how yet, but he will. He showed me some similar ones but they all had less in them than the one we bought. I told him none of them were acceptable.

Over a week later and we've been back and forth with them since then. We still are driving the Yukon loaner. Today he claims has a 2008 SLE Summit White, Ebony Cloth with remote start, rear parking assist, rear audio controls, tri-zone climate control, power driving and passenger seats. He'll have it at his dealership tomorrow. He claims he can add the exact same DVD system that was in the one we agreed on initally and for all our troubles, he'll get custom leather installed and he eats the cost.

My question is... how can he add the exact same DVD system after the fact and is their upgrading us with custom leather worth our troubles?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did you agree on after market DVD system or factory? There are pros and cons both ways. I have a couple threads on the topic. How could you miss them!

DVD systems - http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1898.msg25112;topicseen#new

My purchase woes (incl. DVD discussion) - http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1886.msg25123;topicseen#new

I see you started that other thread about after market leather. I would not mind after market leather myself, I have seen it done and have had friends do it and they could get into a vehicle for less money, though with less "toys" but with the leather they wanted. I have seriously considered it to get the cashmere color I would prefer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The first day I was looking at Acadias, the salesman was trying very hard to get me to buy the SLE they had on the lot. Knowing that leather was a deal breaker for me, he assured me it was no problem to have the SLE seats converted to leather. He said it is a fairly common thing they do. The seats would be almost exactly like the SLT seats, and fully warrantied and backed by GM. I too was a little skeptical, and ended up deciding that I could go with nothing less than an SLT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one I "bought" had the Rear Entertainment System DVD from the factory. This one does not currently have any DVD player in it, but he promises he can add one identical to the one we "bought". He says it will work exactly the same as the other one ??? ???

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm no fan of car dealers, but unless I misread something it looks like it was probably an honest mistake. I don't know what kind of DVD unit he was going to install so you would have to pin him down on it and have him put it in writing. As far as the leather goes he must have enough in the deal to cover his cost. If you think that he is giving you a square deal and the vehicle has what you want I would go for it. Just read your contract very carefully before signing. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Check very carefully what the unit is because I don't think it is possible for them to put the same DVD system in aftermarket - you will not get the surround sound or wired into the front audio console. it may work out fine for you but make sure you know what you are getting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Personally, I would ask him to upgrade you to an SLT-1 for the same price or maby a very slight increase. Several of your options are included in the SLT-1 anyway and at a lowered package price than what you are paying as ad ons to the SLE. I wouldn't accept the after market entertainment system. Even if it works ok they are getting it at a much lower cost and you end up with less value for your money. How can the factory warranty back a third party leather upgrade? Never heard of that one. I'd want to see that in writing straight from GMC or no dice. Even if you did agree to that I would want to see another Acadia that had this work done by the same vendor. I've seen some nasty looking after market leather installations.
Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My first deal was a trade that went bad. I changed dealers and got my Acadia.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We have an after market DVD/TV. We had Harry Potter on for a road trip to Austin and it sounded GREAT!! (The kids headsets ran out of batteries.) Our screen is bigger than the factory model and we have TV. You really can't tell. I have a thread somewhere with pics. Get them to upgrade it!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Our screen is bigger than the factory model and we have TV.
Borrowing from my concerns from another thread: Do you have sunroofs which makes the headliner lower, thus lowering the DVD unit? Can you see out your rear view window with the screen down?

These are some concerns bblanch should look at. I don't know about you but my husband was not happy with the idea of buying a $37,000 gigantic blind spot.

I like Tom's idea of upgrading to SLT for the SLE price.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We have sunroofs. It does limit the visiblity, but not too badly. It is fine when driving, I don't allow it down when I'm backing out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just getting back from the dealer. The "identical" unit has single zone air, no rear audio and 6 speaker system. I told the manager no way and at this point I just want my trade and down payment back. He wanted to try one more time to get the initial vehicle we agreed to from the other dealer. So he called and asked to speak to the owner of the dealership. I listened to him lie upon lie to try to get them to send this vehicle. While he was still on the phone, I told him I wanted out. He apologized for not being able to honor his end of the contract, gave me my keys and money. On the way out I told my initial salesman that if he ever moves to another dealership I'll be happy to do business with him but I'll never step foot in this one again.

SOoooooo I'm back to square one.... and quite frankly I'm thrilled to be there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good for you. I am of the opinion that if I am spending this much money, I will not compromise - it will be what I want - the color, the interior, the options. If they want to give me more, then fine, so be it. But good for you for standing your ground.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So now that that dealer is out of the picture, have you thought about trying to cut a deal directly with the other dealer 60 miles away?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The dealer I just ordered from told me that other dealers won't trade unless they are trading the exact vehicle, but maybe in another color. The supply is not keeping up with demand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well just 1 day after I ended that fiasco and We're the very happy owners of a 2008 GMC Acadia SLT1, Summit White, Titanium Leather, w/ Conv. package and Power Liftgate. I went to another dealer fully expecting to put in an order, but they just happened to get this vehicle in the previous day. Only thing missing from this vehicle compared to the previous dealer is the DVD player, but we decided we want to go the portable route. We decided we rather having the SLT1 features and the leather seats & power liftgate over the DVD system as I'm more comfortable adding a DVD player after.

Despite moving up to a higher model vehicle, my notes are $20/month less that the previous deal on the SLE at the other dealership. This dealer came down close to invoice, plus gave me $1,000 more than the previous dealer on my trade.

:thumb:

·
Registered
180 Posts
bblanch: Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it, I love ours. Be sure to let us know how you like it. Erik

1 - 20 of 23 Posts