GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to hit the brakes to avoid the car in front on me, unfortunately the car behind me didnt stop in time (like I did) and slid into the newly installed hitch of my Acadia. Luckily my Acadia didnt get a scratch, but the Honda that hit me has a nice 2" square dent in their bumper.
I guess the hitch height of the Acadia matches to Honda accords bumper really well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Was the ball on the hitch, or just the 2" square? Was the hitch cover on as part of the bumper? I looked the other day and figured if someone hits me, it's bye, bye bumper and the rear hatch. Not much push out from the bumper to the hatch door.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Acadia hit in the rear by a 96 Subaru: Acadia wins again! (Kind of)

Same situation ... although my story has a different ending than yours. My wife was out with the Acadia and had to yield to traffic when she was hit from behind by a 96 Subaru. I didn't have my hitch installed at that point, so the bumper took the full impact. I suspect the spare tire may have absorbed some as well. Bottom line? The bumper has some minor damage and needs to be replaced (more on that in a minute) and the Subaru was towed from the scene. :eek:hno:

Here's the twist: I stopped at the dealer to get a repair estimate since the driver of the ex-Subaru is opting to keep this incident from her insurance company. Price given was $425 installed. The dealer said to give him a few days notice so he can get the new bumper in. I made the appointment for a week later, called the day prior to and was told the new bumper is on 'back order'. Two weeks later I get a call from the dealer stating that they have no idea when the new bumper will be available. :crazy:

I would think that since we are into the 2nd production year and the plant is cranking out hundreds of Acadia's a week, why has this become a hard part to come by? Can any of the factory guys respond? Is my dealer getting accurate info?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: My Acadia hit in the rear by a 96 Subaru: Acadia wins again! (Kind of)

NNJSteve said:
Same situation ... although my story has a different ending than yours. My wife was out with the Acadia and had to yield to traffic when she was hit from behind by a 96 Subaru. I didn't have my hitch installed at that point, so the bumper took the full impact. I suspect the spare tire may have absorbed some as well. Bottom line? The bumper has some minor damage and needs to be replaced (more on that in a minute) and the Subaru was towed from the scene. :eek:hno:

Here's the twist: I stopped at the dealer to get a repair estimate since the driver of the ex-Subaru is opting to keep this incident from her insurance company. Price given was $425 installed. The dealer said to give him a few days notice so he can get the new bumper in. I made the appointment for a week later, called the day prior to and was told the new bumper is on 'back order'. Two weeks later I get a call from the dealer stating that they have no idea when the new bumper will be available. :crazy:

I would think that since we are into the 2nd production year and the plant is cranking out hundreds of Acadia's a week, why has this become a hard part to come by? Can any of the factory guys respond? Is my dealer getting accurate info?
This may be off the point, but as the at-fault party here, the ex-Subaru driver doesn't get to "opt" for anything (I suppose she could opt not to claim the damage to her car, but that's her problem not yours. I hope you got her insurance info anyways in case she "opts" not to pay you for your damage... If the shop says the damage is anything other than cosmetic (I'd want to be absolutely sure of that too), you should be driving a rental at her (or her insurance co's) expense.

$0.02...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've already been paid by the other driver based on the dealer's estimate. The issue here is the availability of the bumper. Is this common on new vehicles? Why is the dealer having a hard time getting a replacement?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it's pretty normal for brand new models to have short supply of replacement parts. I had a 99 Grand Am (first year of that style) with a wonky volume control- they couldn't get a replacement unit (went on for several months, I gave up and sold the car, tho not just because of the radio) because all the production was going to the line to build new cars. However, I would have thought that period would have passed by now... Hopefully somebody else has more specific knowledge for you.

Glad to hear it was only a "flesh wound".:) Re: my previous comments, I would just hate for them to get the bumper off and realize there was structural or mechanical damage underneath, and you get stuck paying for it out of pocket. If it works out, I'm sure it's better for everyone (keeping insurance costs down, etc) Good luck!

·
Registered
730 Posts
NNJSteve said:
I've already been paid by the other driver based on the dealer's estimate. The issue here is the availability of the bumper. Is this common on new vehicles? Why is the dealer having a hard time getting a replacement?
I have my front bumper to be replaced as well. On a different thread, I had my front license brackets removed because we do not need front plates in PA. Not a good job they did..left a scratch that can't be remove.
It's been approximately 3+ weeks when the dealer receive it. I was told my vehicle need to be brought in for paint matching and installation ??? Doesn't the bumper come in standard black?

·
Registered
362 Posts
No way in hell (especially on a brand new vehicle) would I *not* report an accident, however minor it looks, to my insurance. You just never know what other damage there may be when replacing the bumper.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Exactly, even though it may not look like anything... get it checked by a couple shops. I don't know for sure but the bumper probably contains a foam which absorbs energy as it crushes. If it is damaged, it won't be able to do the job a second time and you will likely have more extensive damage. Reporting it to your insurance company should not do anything to your rates, since the other party is 100% responsible for a rear end collision. Let them sort it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cravenfan said:
Was the ball on the hitch, or just the 2" square? Was the hitch cover on as part of the bumper? I looked the other day and figured if someone hits me, it's bye, bye bumper and the rear hatch. Not much push out from the bumper to the hatch door.
No ball. The height of the Acadia just happend to work out compared to the Honda.
I agree, if the offenders bumper was any higher I would have to replace the the bumper fascia at a minimum. At least the fascia is not painted, so I dont have to worry about the paint peeling up a year later (once the fascia has been stressed). I got bumped once in a car with a painted bumper and had them replace it even though it was minor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What a coincidence. My Acadia got rearended this morning by a 05 Honda Civic. I was sitting at a stop light when I felt a boom to the rear and then another one and then a third! Luckily our seat belts were on and the impact wasn't enough to deploy the airbags. The guy admitted to falling asleep at the wheel. His car was smashed very badly in the front, unable to drive. Mine got scratched on the bumper, a sensor was broken, the right exhaust was pushed to the middle, the cover for the spare was broken and who knows what else. When the adjustor sees it there may be more damage. I drove it to the dealer where I purchased it over Memorial Day and got a rental car that company is billing Allstate for. I told Allstate to send the adjustor there as I smelled a burning odor and refuse to drive it until it is fixed. I hope I don't have to wait too long for the bumper as I already miss my car. I am driving a rice burner on top of it! Oh and I live in Illinois too!

Kathy

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lucky to be wearing a seat belt? I thought it was mandatory and good for your health. Lucky part is that he was coming at your front end at full speed while sleeping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting comments about having to wait for replacement parts for a new vehicle.

About 10 days after I had just taken delivery of my new Saturn AURA I had an incident in which the rear bumper was damaged (all cosmetic, nothing structural). It was $1,000 to fix but that's beside the point.

It took almost a week for the dealer's body shop to get the replacement bumper cover! What's up with that?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
With a vehicle this new, repair parts have not made it into distribution. Often, the parts have to be pulled from the assembly line and shipped to the repair shop. That situation should correct itself with a little time.

Kelly

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, Kelly, that is what the dealer told me about my bumper. It will be pulled from the assembly line. The other parts are in, the muffler, sensor, spare tire cover. They are waiting for a pad and the bumper. I certainly agree that a police report should have been made. And her insurance should be paying for you to have a rental car at her expense. That is how it is working with me. My claim was paid l00% in three days, just waiting for the last two parts!
Kathy

·
Registered
730 Posts
Were you informed that the bumpers need to be painted?
I just brought mine in today for front bumper replacement. I was told last week that painting of the bumper has not started. I need to bring my vehicle for paint matching. Isn't bumpers come in black? Or is it only primed? ???

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got a call this morning from the dealer. The bumper is in! One bumper came in all scratched up so he sent it back and got the good one yesterday. I should be getting my car back in the next day or two. I am singing the song by Queen. "I'm in love with my caaaaaar, got a feel for my automobile"
I hope you get your bumper too soon if you did not so already. I have not seen you post for a while.
Kathy :thumb:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Kathy,
That must be a real good reason to be excited :cheers:
Can you confirm if painting is needed to be done for the new bumpers that they got for your vehicle?
I have not heard from my service advisor yet. I was told it will take two days to have it fixed...painting and all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kram,
I will call the manager of the body shop and tomorrow and let you know.
Kathy

·
Registered
730 Posts
Got my bumpers late last night. :cheers:
No holes and it's clean. Keys were left to the gasoline attendant so I didn't have the chance to speak with the advisor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts