GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this is my first time doing this. My wife (Bonnie)and I have just purchased a 2008 Acadia SLT2. We have four children and I'm enquiring if anybody out there has a four DVD headrest unit in the vehicle. We have looked online but haven't been able to figure out or find a four unit system.
Our Acadia is equipped with dual sunroof and therefore would not be able to sustain an overhead DVD unit. If anyone knows of any system we would really appreciate it if you would point it in our direction.

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
bonsteve said:
Hey everyone this is my first time doing this. My wife (Bonnie)and I have just purchased a 2008 Acadia SLT2. We have four children and I'm enquiring if anybody out there has a four DVD headrest unit in the vehicle. We have looked online but haven't been able to figure out or find a four unit system.
Our Acadia is equipped with dual sunroof and therefore would not be able to sustain an overhead DVD unit. If anyone knows of any system we would really appreciate it if you would point it in our direction.

Thanks

Steve
Soemone talked about doing this here previously, Don't know if they did it or not. i will try to find the Topic..
You should still be able to do an overhead system even with the sunroof.
I will post more in a minute

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
And welcome to the forum, congrats on your purchase!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would be interested in seeing pictures of the headrest DVD that has been installed. I did an overhead DVD because the salesman talked me out of the Headrest because of the shape of the Acadia headrests. Wondering if I steered in the wrong direction?? ???

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't know if you'd considered it, but for the cost of a 4-screen built-in, or even a double or single screen built-in, you could probably buy each kid their own portable DVD player, or cheap laptop PC. I've got 3 kids, and we got each kid their own 7 or 8" portable DVD for about $79/ea at <Insert department store name here.> The bonus is that they can use them in multiple cars, or in their bedrooms for movie nights.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
oicu812 said:
Don't know if you'd considered it, but for the cost of a 4-screen built-in, or even a double or single screen built-in, you could probably buy each kid their own portable DVD player, or cheap laptop PC. I've got 3 kids, and we got each kid their own 7 or 8" portable DVD for about $79/ea at <Insert department store name here.> The bonus is that they can use them in multiple cars, or in their bedrooms for movie nights.
Valid point. But the headrest DVD system looks very clean and nice. I had the over the headrest portable player before, and it was perfect foot height for my 1 year old at the time. Kept getting kicked (yes I know this is a discipline thing, but he was 1)

·
Registered
74 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Valid point. But the headrest DVD system looks very clean and nice. I had the over the headrest portable player before, and it was perfect foot height for my 1 year old at the time. Kept getting kicked (yes I know this is a discipline thing, but he was 1)
The built-in does look real slick, but the auto makers are charging too high a premium for me to justify the cost versus a cheap portable Think about it. How many hours usage are you going to use them, and for how many years? Spend how much thousands of dollars for that?

We tend to avoid the "strapped to the headrest" route. Our older kids sit with theirs on their laps. For our young one, we sit the portable DVD on the console between the front seats. That allows us to change disks and modify volume when necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
oicu812 said:
bonk1313 said:
The built-in does look real slick, but the auto makers are charging too high a premium for me to justify the cost versus a cheap portable Think about it. How many hours usage are you going to use them, and for how many years? Spend how much thousands of dollars for that?

We tend to avoid the "strapped to the headrest" route. Our older kids sit with theirs on their laps. For our young one, we sit the portable DVD on the console between the front seats. That allows us to change disks and modify volume when necessary.
I was able to get mine for half of what the dealer charges.. Mine gets used pretty much everytime my kid is in the car. Simple enjoyment for him, it is the only time he wathces a TV. since he has no interest in it when he is running around playing in the house.
I am not trying to get into a pi--ing match. But I would highly avoid loose DVD players and laptops in the car. They become a very heavy and forcefull projectile when you get hit or hit someone else, and go flying through the car hitting anyone and anything in its path. It would suck to survive a car accident because you had a seatbelt and airbag, but cause of death or major injury was the 6lb DVD player flying through smacking you or your kid in the head.
Just my opinion on safety.

·
Registered
74 Posts
bonk1313 said:
I was able to get mine for half of what the dealer charges.. Mine gets used pretty much everytime my kid is in the car. Simple enjoyment for him, it is the only time he wathces a TV. since he has no interest in it when he is running around playing in the house.
I am not trying to get into a pi--ing match. But I would highly avoid loose DVD players and laptops in the car. They become a very heavy and forcefull projectile when you get hit or hit someone else, and go flying through the car hitting anyone and anything in its path. It would suck to survive a car accident because you had a seatbelt and airbag, but cause of death or major injury was the 6lb DVD player flying through smacking you or your kid in the head.
Just my opinion on safety.
We only use passive entertainment when we're traveling more than 90mins, which is only a couple times a month. Otherwise, we encourage conversation, or scenery watching, or whatever form of self-amusement they want to come up with. I will concede, however, that if it's being used frequently/everyday, then a built-in is a better option. Setting up a portable everyday would be a PITA. [My neighbors used to have a 13" TV/VCR combo wedged between their front seats, with a lighter adapter for power. (talk about a projectile!)]

No offense taken or intended, but if you're going to take the whole "safety" approach, then I hope you're consistent. In an accident, a dangerous projectile could just as likely be a travel mug, sippy cup, loose toy, a can from a bag of groceries [Poor Jimmy, killed by Chef Boyardee. ;)], a book or walkman in a kid's hands... The chances of an accident occurring are infinitesimally small for me to reasonably factor it into my decision making. But to each his own. I just can't justify $1600, or even $800, for a $79 item.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
oicu812 said:
I just can't justify $1600, or even $800, for a $79 item.
I will throw one last one out there.

Then why buy a new $35,000 Crossover when you can get a 7/8 passenger used minivan for considerably less.
We each have our opinions. :-\

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
oicu812 said:
2 cents

You bought your Acadia with Red Jewel and AWD, the cost of those items would almost cover the cost of the headrest system :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts