GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering buying an mp3 play to consolidate my cd collection. But I wonder if the AUX jack on the Nav can accept an output from an mp3 player.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The answer would be yes, all you need it the correct wiring cbale with two male ends, one to fit the earphone jack on the MP3 player and one for the Aux jack on the system (the size is 3.5mm for the Aux jack, see image below).

Make sure you have the volume on the player set to the highest level, this will allow you to get the best level out of the Nav radio. If you are going to get an iPod, GM is coming out with a special interface called PAL that will allow you to control the iPod from the installed radio, the PAL will only work with iPOD's.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This was a great help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Circuit City wanted $22 for a 6' cable. Not only did I think that was a rip, but did not want the excess cable hanging all over. Radio Shack for 4.99 on a 12" that works great. johnway is right: gas the MP3 all the way up, [I have a Creative Labs 'Zen'] & it keeps you from having to peg the Bose. Works & sounds great: MP3 in the cupholder & the 12" is just the right length.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do you think the iphone will work with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
extex said:
Circuit City wanted $22 for a 6' cable. Not only did I think that was a rip, but did not want the excess cable hanging all over. Radio Shack for 4.99 on a 12" that works great. johnway is right: gas the MP3 all the way up, [I have a Creative Labs 'Zen'] & it keeps you from having to peg the Bose. Works & sounds great: MP3 in the cupholder & the 12" is just the right length.
then where do you put your cup hehehehehehehe.... j/k ;D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
honestly, dont know and i wouldnt purchase an iphone anyway mainly cause the service is owned by att and they absolutely are the worst cell phone service ever. now that cingular has become att we have had the worst service ever and i am looking into switching over to another provider. trying to hold out until i get my new enclave and might choose verizon or sprint but att has definitely got to go. not to forget the thing costs 600 bucks, no way, too much to pay for something that will be a paper wieght sooner than not.

·
Registered
405 Posts
MsS42 said:
Rollin' Thunder said:
honestly, dont know and i wouldnt purchase an iphone anyway mainly cause the service is owned by att and they absolutely are the worst cell phone service ever. now that cingular has become att we have had the worst service ever and i am looking into switching over to another provider. trying to hold out until i get my new enclave and might choose verizon or sprint but att has definitely got to go. not to forget the thing costs 600 bucks, no way, too much to pay for something that will be a paper wieght sooner than not.
really, i had cingular for a year and LOVED IT, Their all over network was really all over and i never droped a call, if it is that bad then i won't go back. i have ntelos that expires next month, and i traded from cingular agenst my will and wanted to go back but if their service is bad now i will go to verizon for 2 reasons 1. can pare it up with the onstar 2. have all my services on one bill. phone, Hd tv, internet, cellphone

·
Registered
28 Posts
extex said:
bought mine for $4 at wal-mart. also use it to route the sound from my boys portable DVD player through the stereo.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Was at Best buy. They had an MP3 cable, I think 6 feet for $15. walked over to their TV accessory area and picked up a 6 foot cable for $4.99. Does not look as cool but works the same. Salesman said it was the same thing. Ill use the $10 saved for a 1/4 tank of gas :banghead:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am assuming that you have to use the mp3 player to change songs, etc., and it does not show-up on the nav screen if you are connecting through the headphone jack.

If this is true, does anyone know if there is some sort of "lockpick" thing that would show the song/artist/playlists on the nav screen?

thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yo I went to Micro Center and bought a 3ft for my ipod, fits perfect goes from the plug in to the bottom of the slot that is there. Was 2.99 for the 3ft, Works great. Love it. :) :thumb:

·
Registered
110 Posts
nedac said:
bought mine for $4 at wal-mart. also use it to route the sound from my boys portable DVD player through the stereo.
Ditto...plus I have an amp for mine for when I use it on the motorcycle. The amp mp3 combo works great through the aux port.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
steve b said:
I am assuming that you have to use the mp3 player to change songs, etc., and it does not show-up on the nav screen if you are connecting through the headphone jack.

If this is true, does anyone know if there is some sort of "lockpick" thing that would show the song/artist/playlists on the nav screen?
GM's Personal Audio Link (PAL) unit is supposed to be out by the end of the year, and will do this. There are several threads on this device, including this one: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=811.0

There is a separate thread here on a third-party lockpick device: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=197.0

Kelly

·
Registered
185 Posts
kjf said:
steve b said:

GM's Personal Audio Link (PAL) unit is supposed to be out by the end of the year, and will do this. There are several threads on this device, including this one: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=811.0

There is a separate thread here on a third-party lockpick device: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=197.0

Kelly
yup. this thread as well: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1927.0

I've post pictures of my install in this thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a creative zen also, which when listening to it through it's ear buds it sounds great. But when I listened to it through my Acadia I had to turn both my vehicle volume and my Zen's volume way up and the sound quality didn't sound very good. Do you think it was the type of cable or is that how it is suppose to happen?!?!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Of course, the other handy thing you can to with a 6' cord is run it to the person controlling the MP3 player in the back seat. I think those with the DVD set up have an audio input in the back, but for the rest of us its an easy way to provide tunes from the kid controlled MP3 to the car system. I also got the $5 cord at best buy. Works great with both my Archos player and my son's Sansa 280.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you use an iPod, there's a Belkin product...called an AutoKit for iPod with Dock Connector that works really well with an iPod and an aux cable. It eliminates the the volume problem others have alluded to because it has a little amp in it with a volume control. This helps out with the volume problems that others have encountered of having to push the volume on the player and the radio volume really high to hear the iPod. I'm no techie, but having that amp in between somehow allows you to keep the radio volume much lower. Before, when I just used the cable to connect directly from AUX to my iPod, I had to turn both the iPod and radio volume up to nearly MAX to hear them. If I disconnected the iPod before I remembered to turn down the radio volume, I got blasted!

The setup goes like this...Belkin jack goes into the lighter jack. iPod hooks to the Belkin via the dock connector. The AUX cable goes from the Acadia's radio into the audio out jack in the Belkin. Best part of this is that all of it can be tucked out of the way in the center console except for the 3.5mm cable which just runs up to the radio's AUX jack. And it charges your iPod too!

I ordered mine online for about $35. The 3.5mm cable is sold separately...I think I paid about $5-6 for mine at Walmart. I don't know if Belkin has a similar product for other MP3 players or not...

·
Registered
384 Posts
MsS42 said:
extex said:
then where do you put your cup hehehehehehehe.... j/k ;D
You can also put your MP3 player in the cubby on dash. I just wish they would make a little notch for the cord when you close lid. I don't have any problem closing lid on mine, but I could see it potentially being a problem at some point.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts