GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with the MP3 jack on my Acadia's radio. At least, I think that's what I've narrowed it down to. Sound will either come out of the right side or the left side, or both if I mess with the cord enough. I've tried two different cords and get the same effect. When I use headphones on my Zune, I never have this problem.

When the sound cuts out (usually on the left side), if I touch the cord where it connects to the radio, it'll crackle and come back on. If I get the cord positioned just right, it sounds fine, but forget it if I hit a bump in the road.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm hesitant to bring it to the dealer because I feel like they are immediately going to blame my MP3 player. If it is the mp3 jack, would it be covered under warranty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Yes the jack would be covered via a new radio.

Sounds (not that I can hear it from here) as if the metal contacts in the jack are bent or the wiring to the jack has come unsoldered.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what I was thinking too because it feels sort of loose if you try to wiggle it.

I'm over due for an oil change (I know, shame on me) so I'll just include the MP3 jack on my checklist for them when I drop it off. I'm gonna get in an accident one of these days messing with that stupid MP3 jack while driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Web Raven said:
I'm having an issue with the MP3 jack on my Acadia's radio. At least, I think that's what I've narrowed it down to. Sound will either come out of the right side or the left side, or both if I mess with the cord enough. I've tried two different cords and get the same effect. When I use headphones on my Zune, I never have this problem.

When the sound cuts out (usually on the left side), if I touch the cord where it connects to the radio, it'll crackle and come back on. If I get the cord positioned just right, it sounds fine, but forget it if I hit a bump in the road.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm hesitant to bring it to the dealer because I feel like they are immediately going to blame my MP3 player. If it is the mp3 jack, would it be covered under warranty?
The first order of business is make sure the cord isn't bad. Always start with the simplest soulution first. It works quite often.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
big bear craig said:
Web Raven said:
I'm having an issue with the MP3 jack on my Acadia's radio. At least, I think that's what I've narrowed it down to. Sound will either come out of the right side or the left side, or both if I mess with the cord enough. I've tried two different cords and get the same effect. When I use headphones on my Zune, I never have this problem.

When the sound cuts out (usually on the left side), if I touch the cord where it connects to the radio, it'll crackle and come back on. If I get the cord positioned just right, it sounds fine, but forget it if I hit a bump in the road.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm hesitant to bring it to the dealer because I feel like they are immediately going to blame my MP3 player. If it is the mp3 jack, would it be covered under warranty?
The first order of business is make sure the cord isn't bad. Always start with the simplest soulution first. It works quite often.
That's why I tried two different cords. :) I've been having this issue for well over a month. I tried trouble-shooting it a bit first before posting anything.

I guess I could try another MP3 player to rule out any problem with my Zune. I'll try hooking my son's Zune up to it tonight and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
We had the same problem in my Outlook when my husband plugged his Ipod in. It had worked the previous times he used it, but now we are having the same problem as you. I just assumed it was the cord. Hmm, maybe not....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We plugged my son's Muziq into it and it did the same thing. Tried it with the second cord, same thing. But he thinks both the cords are bad. *argh* I guess I'll go spend some $$ on yet another new cord and try that out before I go complain to the dealer about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Web Raven said:
We plugged my son's Muziq into it and it did the same thing. Tried it with the second cord, same thing. But he thinks both the cords are bad. *argh* I guess I'll go spend some $$ on yet another new cord and try that out before I go complain to the dealer about it.
Well if it does happen to be the cord at fault, I would invest in a 90* adapter to relieve any stress on the new cable. Plus it tucks the cord against the radio.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It actually turned out to be the cord. So weird. The first bad cord was mine. Then my b/f gave me a shorter cord that he wasn't using and that one apparently is bad too. So he just grabbed another one that he had lying around the office and that one works perfectly.

Yay! No more friggin around with my MP3 player while I'm driving. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Web Raven said:
Sound will either come out of the right side or the left side, or both if I mess with the cord enough.
Make sure you have a stereo cord. There are also mono mini plug cords.

A stereo cord has three metal parts separated by two plastic rings. A mono cord has two metal parts and one plastic. A mono cord will fit in a stereo plug and give exactly the symptom you are talking about, right or left or both (though mono not stereo) depending on how far it is pushed in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Web Raven said:
It actually turned out to be the cord. So weird. The first bad cord was mine. Then my b/f gave me a shorter cord that he wasn't using and that one apparently is bad too. So he just grabbed another one that he had lying around the office and that one works perfectly.

Yay! No more friggin around with my MP3 player while I'm driving. :thumb:
Where did you get the new cord? I know that I can buy one from GM, but some place like RadioShack is much more convenient. What am I looking for?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My boyfriend had one lying around his house, so he gave it to me.

You can get them at Walmart for a decent price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
This one is perfect from RiteAV.com, After all I have it! I even ordered a second one for a "just in case" at that price!

It is 3ft long, and has 9 degree built rite in. RiteAV wants .99 cents and about $1.50 Shipping.
And they have great prices on all cables, so order others you need while you are buying this one. All my HDMI cables from behind my TV came from that website also.

http://www.riteav.com/product_info.php?cPath=176&products_id=641
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
s2acadia said:
This one is perfect from RiteAV.com, After all I have it! I even ordered a second one for a "just in case" at that price!

It is 3ft long, and has 9 degree built rite in. RiteAV wants .99 cents and about $1.50 Shipping.
And they have great prices on all cables, so order others you need while you are buying this one. All my HDMI cables from behind my TV came from that website also.

http://www.riteav.com/product_info.php?cPath=176&products_id=641
Thanks! Just ordered it... $2.50 delivered...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top