Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have made a few mp3 DVD's now. Every time it does not seem to play everything on the disc. The user manual says that the radio is capable of working with 200 or so folders but on playback I only seem to get the first 50. Has any one else tried to make a MP3 DVD and had this problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I finally tried this weekend to make an MP3 DVD to use in my Acadia. I am very disappointed, to say the least. Before I read anything I made a DVD full to the brim. It didn't work. I assume it had too many songs on it. I then made a DVD with about 800mb of music on it. Thats probably 200 songs. The disc took so long to index that we arrived at our location just as it finished. It was probably about 10 minutes. Turn the car off and back on and it has to start over. I'm going to try a CD-R to see if that makes any difference.

I did read that there is a 512 song limit. I'll look for the post and link it here when I find it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Loading a disc into the system, depending on media type and format, ranges from 5 to 20 seconds for a CD, and up to 30 seconds for a DVD. [pg 293]

The CD player is able to read and play a maximum of 50 folders, 15 playlists, and a combined total of 512 folders and files. Each folder or album should contain 18 songs or less. Avoid subfolders. The system can support up
to eight subfolders deep, however, keep the total number of folders to a minimum in order to reduce the complexity and confusion in trying to locate a particular folder during playback. Minimize the length of the file, folder, or
playlist names. Long file, folder, or playlist names, or a combination of a large number of files and folders, or playlists can cause the player to be unable to play up to the maximum number of files, folders, playlists, or sessions.[pg 296]

The CD player (lower slot) is able to read and play a maximum combination of 512 files and folders. The DVD player (upper slot) is able to read 255 folders, 15 playlists and 40 sessions. [pg 302]

·
Registered
322 Posts
added poll...

·
Registered
16 Posts
pete7919 said:
... Thats probably 200 songs. The disc took so long to index that we arrived at our location just as it finished. It was probably about 10 minutes. Turn the car off and back on and it has to start over. I'm going to try a CD-R to see if that makes any difference....
I've experienced the long time to index the DVD IF you select the Music Navigator indicator to allow the system to index your disk. That can take 10min if you have a fairly full disk. But, it will retain the indexing through an ignition cycle. Perhaps if you don't let it finish, it has to start over, but I've let it finish and haven't had to re-index. If you remove the DVD, I'm sure you'll need to re-index. Agreed: it's a poor design. I doubt there is much else they could do since they are having to access the disk for the MP3 data (as opposed to the comparison of a PC with MP3 files). But the whole point is to use the folders and keeping things in an order. I'll have to play with Playlists to see if they index faster and just use them if that is the case (but I doubt it).

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but if you turn on your DVD player and play a DVD-Audio disk, the DVD screen will show the Artist, Track and, I think, the track duration. You can then use the DVD remote to traverse the disk. Pointless, but a surprise none the less.

Kent

·
Registered
730 Posts
I beg to differ that it is a poor design. It works the way it should work. It does not store memory. The reason is it does not have a hard drive like a PC. :-\

·
Registered
185 Posts
kram said:
I beg to differ that it is a poor design. It works the way it should work. It does not store memory. The reason is it does not have a hard drive like a PC. :-\
Agreed. I don't really consider this a problem. More like a limitation.

I too "wasted" a couple DVD's learning this lesson in the beginning.

Perfect world would allow you to have one big ole DVD full of everything and the unit would store the songs for you but they already have something called an iPod for that :p

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agreed, this is a limitation not a problem. What could improve the system is putting an actual hard drive in the unit and having access via a USB port to load your music - GM is already moving in that direction - I posted a review of a new NAV/DVD Audio system coming inthe new Cadilac CTS - it has a 40 GB hard drive, with 20GB available for the NAV and 20GB for audio/music - they have a USB port in the center console right next to a Power Outlet, and it has the Ipod interface. Pretty cool, hopefully it will trickle down to GMC at some point in a future Acadia.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1637.0

·
Registered
16 Posts
kram said:
Well, User Interface design is certainly something each of us has their own opinion on. I personally feel that expecting users to wait 10min to index a disk fails to meet *my* expectation. Now, as I said, I can't imagine there was much they [the supplier] could do about it since they are pulling this data from the DVD directly (i.e., accessing the disk). I never discussed memory. But let me assure you, they are reading the ID3 data and storing this information into *some kind of memory*, RAM/KAM/EEPROM. I'm not sure which, but trust me, that is what they are doing. No, it isn't a HD, but that isn't the only way to store data, such as FLASH memory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.