GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a transponder for a local transponder that typically gets attached (using velcro tape) at the top of the windshield (inside) up by/behind the rearview mirror.

What is the stuff that is on the windshield in this area? At first I thought it was the radio antenna (maybe it is) but I also know there is an antenna on the roof back by the tailgate. I've read that is the XM antenna - but I also thought I read it was the radio antenna as well.

Has anyone put a transponder in this area by the rearview mirror? Any clue as to whether I'll screw something up?

Thanks.

jh

·
Registered
57 Posts
I that is just a form of tinting, and to hise the autdim an Onstar wiring. I on't have mine on yet, but I'm concerned that the signal won't get through it. Not that you'll screw anything up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that issue (will it work?) I've already tried. I've been holding it in the place where I'd like to mount it - and it registers just fine. So for the technology I'm using (Denver metro area) it works fine.

j

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok. Well that's a plus. I don't want to give misinformation, but my last 2 cars had that tinting type stuff, and it was just that. Not antennas or anything. They also make suction cup holders for the transponders. At least the ones in my area. Just do a Googe search.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in Dallas and put my TollTag Card up there - it's almost invisable (which I like) by putting in that location and it works just fine. No problems - in fact that is where I would suggest others put it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you don't want it on the windshield...you should know it does work (there was a thread sometime long ago and members confirmed it) from inside the center compartment above the dash..mine has been there since i got the transponder. :thumb:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Kram is correct. I think ours worked once in the glove box when we forgot to put it out. Also, I saw at the grocery store the other day a suction cup and cradle for transponders. I think it was under $5.00. That way, you can easily experiment.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I keep my I-Pass in the dashboard compartment too and it's never failed to work, even through the open road tolling lanes where you don't have to slow down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Web Raven said:
I keep my I-Pass in the dashboard compartment too and it's never failed to work, even through the open road tolling lanes where you don't have to slow down.

Ditto for me. Works everyday on my commute to work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had my IPass in there the last time I went through a couple of Open Tolling booths, and I have not been charged, so I'm thinking it didn't work, in my case.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
HockeyMom said:
I had my IPass in there the last time I went through a couple of Open Tolling booths, and I have not been charged, so I'm thinking it didn't work, in my case.
Because of all the nutty construction on 94 that's been going on, wasn't there a time when they weren't charging if you went thru that "express lane" that they had set up? I thought that was the case, but I could be wrong.

Mine was recently missing charges, but it ended up being because of an expired credit card on file. Once I updated that, all was good again. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
That could be it, because that was the toll I went through - the first one you get to if you were traveling south and missed the reconfigured 41 South exit. It was at the end of January, though, and I thought the construction was done by then.

·
Registered
542 Posts
They are planning on tolling all the highways out here (seattle) soon. So far, I have never been in a city where transponders are needed. Sounds like its fairly widespread though. We have one of the highest gas taxes in the country here and the 3rd highest price for gas. If they start tolling the roads too, then that is it! I am moving back to the midwest.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just put it in the storage holder on the dash top mine has been there for a year and works great. :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got my suction cup EZ Pass holder today, and mounted it above the rearview mirror like discussed. Haven't went through a toll yet, but it's nice to be out of the way. And, no velcro.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Web Raven said:
Ditto for me on my Enclave using the I-Pass...has worked everytime & its not stuck on the windshield...I like that. :thumb:
Also worked last Fall on the WV turnpike which uses EZ-pass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts