GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from some owners that have driven in steep mountain grades like on I 70 from colo. sprgs. to aspen or something like that. Just wondering how the tranny shifted and what gear it stayed in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
garco 57 said:
I would like to hear from some owners that have driven in steep mountain grades like on I 70 from colo. sprgs. to aspen or something like that. Just wondering how the tranny shifted and what gear it stayed in.
I would say you spend quite a bit of time in 5th and 4th while you're driving up steep mountain grades. Sometimes even 3rd might be appropriate. The idea is that it's holding you in the gear as you climb because you can't maintain that speed in the next higher gear. What did you find? Did you want it to shift more, less or was it about right? If you're not used to it, there can be a sense that it should shift into the next higher gear, but almost always it would just have to downshift again back to the gear you're being held in.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From point A to B is just a general location. I have not been in the mountains yet but in kansas with 40 M.P.H. winds it will stay in 5th most of the time into a head wind.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In the Shenandoah and Appalachian mountains of WV, I drive Acadia mostly on a two lane state road with 5-9% grades and many curves and tight bends. Normally, I use L and the +/- button to drive here. After the initial mountain into the state, the road becomes 4 lane interstate-like road. Up and over the mountain ridges on this 20 or so mile stretch, Acadia in D does some shifting to 5, but rarely to 4 at posted highway speed (65 MPH). Plus, on the back roads, it hugs the road like a sports car with little or now top sway. We're lovin' it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts