GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Acadia and had the hitch installed after purchasing the vehicle (it does not have the towing package with radiator, tow switch, etc.). I am curious to know how much weight the hitch will be able to hold because im thinking of purchasing a Motor bike ramp that installs to the hitch. Below is a picture. Do you think this is a good idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's all about the tounge weight that the hitch can handle. I'm assuming it's a class III or IV so it should be able to handle it. Tounge weight allowed is typically ~500lbs.

Curious to know what other people think as I'm planning on getting an Acadia and will use a similar set up to haul my bike(s).

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would verify what the factory hitch is rated at and not exceed it. This car does not have a full frame such as a pickup or pickup based suv, but has a unibody, and that is where the limitations might be.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've also thought about this but bought an inexpensive trailer from Northern Tool instead. (Similar ones at Harbor Freight). It cost about the same as the hauler and I can carry one or two bikes and use it for many other things- trips to goodwill, trips to Home Depot, etc.

A Class III hitch is typically rated for 5000 pounds with a 500 pound tongue weight. Assuming the carrier weighs at least 50-100 pounds, that won't leave much for the bike. Not many street bikes are less than 400 pounds with a tank of gas, battery, oil and all the other stuff not included in the dry weight of the bike. It would probably be OK for a dirt bike. As others have said, this is a unibody vehicle- so there is some concern about excessive tongue weight. It's also FWD, so the more you load the tongue, the less weight on the front wheels which could lead to traction or handling problems.

With that said, I did see a BMW R75 on a versa-hauler yesterday on the back of a van. I was watching how it was riding and it did seem to do pretty well. I've also seen KLR-650's on minivans which are probably right at the 500 pound weight limit.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Doesn't look like a good idea to me. Plus, how is anyone suppose to see the tail lights, turn signals and license plate? I think i would invest in a small trailer instead of the hitch mounted carrier. It would be ok for a handicap scooter, but they aren't near the weight of that m/c.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This would work ok as long as you dont exceed the tongue wieght in the owners manual. I would also invest in some trailer lights and mount them on the carrier so I had visible lighting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts